buying a laptop for photo editing

I'm looking at swapping out my tower to a laptop as i dont game much and mostly just use it for photo editing and im also looking for something more portable. ive noticed any laptop with a 4k display and powerful hardware is over $3,000 AUD. do i really need a 4k laptop or is a 1080p laptop just fine? for photo editing at home i already have 4k monitor but am wondering about traveling and editing photos when i dont have my extra monitor. 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

dell xps have very good screens right @GeneXiS_X ?

thought about that but for $2000 you still dont get a dedicated graphics card which sucks if i want to do some video work in the future. was thinking of a metabox alpha x laptop 

1 minute ago, eliitedisowned said:

thought about that but for $2000 you still dont get a dedicated graphics card which sucks if i want to do some video work in the future. was thinking of a metabox alpha x laptop 

xps 15 has 1050ti. 1650 coming soon

Edited by Saksham

23 minutes ago, eliitedisowned said:

I'm looking at swapping out my tower to a laptop as i dont game much and mostly just use it for photo editing and im also looking for something more portable. ive noticed any laptop with a 4k display and powerful hardware is over $3,000 AUD. do i really need a 4k laptop or is a 1080p laptop just fine? for photo editing at home i already have 4k monitor but am wondering about traveling and editing photos when i dont have my extra monitor. 

Thanks 

You don't really need anything powerful for that.

But a Surface machine is going to be more than fine.

Can even just find an older one used on the cheap.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I have a dell precision 3520 that works awesome! but to be honest i don't know how much it is or whats in it, as it was given to me for free... 

Don't Judge my spelling I'm dyslexic 

2 hours ago, eliitedisowned said:

snip

Preferred max weight and min battery life?

You probably don't have to spend so much

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Well you don't really need a 4k display, but do try to get soemthing with an i7 and 16gb of ram. The xps 15 is a great choice, the 9570 is a beast, but I would actually look at the lenovo x1 extreme instead. 

If you want something cheaper, look at asus or dell's g3/g5 line. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Not sure what software you use for editing your photos so cant really commend on the performance you need but for around $400 USD I picked up an Lenovo Ideapad 330s it handles all my needs for photo editing on the go with the adobe suite. The only change that I have made so far is I got a bigger ssd for it as the stock ~120 ssd did not cut it for me.

On 5/11/2019 at 6:21 PM, eliitedisowned said:

The Dell XPS laptops has Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, which means you can hook up a eGPU, if you need the extra graphics power.