What to learn?

uzivkovic997
48 minutes ago, reniat said:

in terms of pure execution speed the gap is definitely smaller than it used to be, but there are still some major factors that basically prohibit java from being a high performance game language. The biggest reason is that it's really not worth the effort of porting major game engine to java, so you're stuck with whatever platform those engines give you. The closest would be Unity with C#, but the super high performance engines are almost all C/C++. 

Another reason java isn't a great game language is garbage collection. It creates a lot of performance uncertainty, since you really can't control when that happens. There are a few different GC methodologies you can use, but no matter what you are at the mercy of the GC to not collect during a critical moment causing a performance dip. For most desktop development that's not really a huge concern, but in the gaming world of 60fps+ and high refresh rates and "smoothness" being the be all end all metric, java's GC can be nightmare.

The exception of course, is the high performance icon Runescape, which is built in java.

If you can make games in C# unity without performance issue, you can do the same with java. I'm not talking about whether a proper game engine exists or not, im talking about language performance. Java is still multitude times faster than scripting langauge like JavaScript, python, and Ruby and is roughly the same performance as C#.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 hours ago, wasab said:

Perl is popular? You just lost all credibility there. 

Perl drives huge parts of the internet. Please accept that the internet exists outside the web.

Write in C.

35 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Perl drives huge parts of the internet. Please accept that the internet exists outside the web.

Back in the 1990s maybe. I do not know why you keep mentioning things thats only true decades ago. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Because you wrongly assume that there is nothing but the HTTP.

Write in C.

8 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Because you wrongly assume that there is nothing but the HTTP.

I never said that. Todays perl is mainly used in legacy applications written back in the 1990s and early 2000s. Newer applications written in perl is rare. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Based on which numbers?

Bonus question: why do you think that the number of new applications written in a certain language matters?

Write in C.

41 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Based on which numbers?

Bonus question: why do you think that the number of new applications written in a certain language matters?

i did not say it matters. I simply said perl isn't popular. If you think that matters little then whatever. You can't say it is popular however considering its year to year decline. 

If you want numbers, just look up stack overflow statistics. 

Sudo make me a sandwich