Anyone Have Experience with 3DS XL?

SrN95

Anyone here have a 3DS XL, if so, would you recommend picking one up? I've really been looking into buying a 3DS XL for $180 bucks off Amazon just as something to play while laying in bed before going to sleep, not something to replace PC gaming (obviously)..

Just wondering if anyone had some insight on this product :P

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

nope don't have one and don't want one although I am going to electric town in Tokyo in a couple days :D

I am not a big fan of mobile gaming.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

nope don't have one and don't want one although I am going to electric town in Tokyo in a couple days :D

I am not a big fan of mobile gaming.

I haven't "partaken" in mobile gaming since the original DS I received for Christmas, and man I loved that thing...Just nostalgic I guess haha 

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

Nope, if you have a normal 3DS then no. If you don't have a 3DS and have the money, you could get one as its on sale on amazon ATM, i've used one and I don't mind them, they seem some what similar

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

If a bigger screen benefits you, then go for it. I personally love my chunky 2DS though.

What I would do in this case is buy an original Gameboy, there are tons of great entertainment available and there's just something about the older consoles. Then again I am getting old.

If a bigger screen benefits you, then go for it. I personally love my chunky 2DS though.

Im glad you mentioned the 2DS, I was also looking at that as a cheaper option, as its going to be sitting next to my bed 99% of the time. 

Im glad you mentioned the 2DS, I was also looking at that as a cheaper option, as its going to be sitting next to my bed 99% of the time. 

Yeah, it's pretty good, although no 3D, and the new shape takes some time to get used to, maybe like 3 hours....

Yeah, it's pretty good, although no 3D, and the new shape takes some time to get used to, maybe like 3 hours....

honestly 3d isnt really a main selling point for me to start with lol, just game selection

honestly 3d isnt really a main selling point for me to start with lol, just game selection

Yup, it's basically a no frills handheld device.

Why stop playing PC games when you get into bed?
Linus approves.

post-54950-0-29957800-1390548113.jpg

I do have a 3DS, but I want to get a XL. I find the screen to small on the original.
Games like Pokemon X/Y, Mariokart,Super Smash Bros(coming soon) are all great games.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

yes. one reason.

pokemon_x_y_gameplay.jpg

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

yes. one reason.

My primary reason for even contemplating the purchase :P

You mean you STILL haven't played X/Y? The only worthwhile thing I can add is that the DPI of the XL is significantly lower than the original 3DS. If that's likely to bother you then definitely go for the regular one.

i got mine about a month ago, i used to think 3DS was a childs console, im 19, and I FUCKING LOVE IT!

I got the Zelda Link between two world edition, its pretty amazing, theres just something about nintendo, i will never grow up

This type of thread belongs in the Mobile Gaming section. I'm moving it. 

Please post to the correct sub-forum next time instead of dumping your threads into the General Discussion section.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I personally have a Nintendo 3DS & Pokemon Y.
I freaking love that game, but obviously it's for mobile gaming.
Though, the first day I had my Pokemon Y I refused to use my PC.. Mainly for nostalgia I guess ?
Also, I'm a fan of the Pokemon games. Completed every single generation so far, and will continue.
The fact you want to use it as a mobile gaming platform before bed, is great. It's personally what I use it for too.
Took me quite a few nights, but I did complete the game, so good luck. :P
I say get the 3DS XL Or maybe even the 3DS XL Pokemon X/Y Edition (I personally freaking love the limited edition ones. :wub: )

I got a 3DS XL for Super Smash Bros.

Now that I've been playing with it for awhile though, it's extremely hard going back to the original screen size. It just feels too small.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3DS has some amazing games differently worth getting, even if it's a 2DS but make sure to take good care of it cause they can break easily.

3DS has some amazing games differently worth getting, even if it's a 2DS but make sure to take good care of it cause they can break easily.

I remember dropping my original DS multiple times, eventually breaking one of the hinges, but I felt like that thing was indestructible lol

What breaks easily?

What breaks easily?

Mainly the hinges but as long as you take care of it that shouldn't be a problem. Also I know your getting XL but just warning anyone considering the regular 3DS cause I had a few and there's nothing but problems with those. For me it was power issues.

Mainly the hinges but as long as you take care of it that shouldn't be a problem. Also I know your getting XL but just warning anyone considering the regular 3DS cause I had a few and there's nothing but problems with those. For me it was power issues.

The hinges have been an issue since the GBA SP but as long as you dont treat your stuff poorly you shouldnt have any issues, i never have. but yea I have the 2DS now cause well its cheap, I didnt need 3D, and it does everything the 3DS does, and it comfortable in eve my average adult size hands due to the great design.

More jaggies than 3DS and the screen hinge on my 3DSXL in particular doesn't lock nearly as well as my 3DS. If I could only pick one I'd still choose the XL for the screen size.