Has gaming and other software support on Linux got any improved?

So I used Ubuntu many years back for a few days and I remember trying to run Prince of Persia in it and it didn't handle well. The game was very laggy and the overall experience of the OS was pretty dull so i switched back to Windows 7 back then. I did use Ubuntu 16.04 again last year for my university projects and i did like the look of it. It was very stable and responsive too. The same cannot be said for Windows 10 according to my experience, because something is always broken no matter how well i take care of it. Similar complaints come from almost all my friends and my office workers. I was wondering if the program support for Linux and gaming has been improved or is being improved as i would love to permanently switch to it now or hopefully in the near future if things happen soon.  

that completely depends on what you want to run. things like Adobe stuff big no, but other things run fine. 

if you can give examples of what you want to run that would be great. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

if you can give examples of what you want to run that would be great. 

This PC is for gaming so there's not much that i would run apart from modern games. Atm i play games like Rainbow 6, The Crew, World of Tanks. If all modern games work in general without any performance of compatibility issues, I would like to jump over very soon.

3 hours ago, quakeguy81 said:

Steam Proton uses WINE to increase the amount of Windows games playable on Linux.  It also allows you to install and play these games through Steam Play on Linux.  You can check the compatibility list here.

https://www.protondb.com/

Damn, things certainly have improved in linux. However from what i saw in that link most Ubisoft games have trouble working

1 minute ago, quakeguy81 said:

Yeah, but Steam Play and Proton has made it a lot easier to install and run Windows games on Linux.  You should give it a try.

Thanks for letting me know about it ?

I'd also agree things have improved a lot, but of course it is no where near that you could run *every* game.

Based on the information you've given about your needs, it is difficult to say whether you should switch or not. One good approach is to look at the DBs (like protondb, wine appdb) and search for the games you absolutely need to run and see what the experience is generally. If in doubt, dual boot first. You can always remove Windows if your choice of Linux distribution works for you (or Linux if it doesn't work well for you; just make sure you do the removal / repair by re-instating a working bootloader from Windows).