Favorite Linux Distro and Why?

Linux, BSD or Mac?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Linux (Any Distro)
    • BSD
    • Mac OS

Hi, I was wondering what people like in a distro. I like Pop!_OS because it is nice looking, easy (for me at least), good UI, smooth icons, modern design, and good functionality. What do you like and give a few reasons why

Ack made a mistake I do not know how this forum works, still new sorry but this works I guess

Ubuntu 14.04LTS.

Because my Neural Net/Machine Learning software works best under it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Ubuntu 14.04LTS.

Fair enough

I really like Gentoo because I can customize it, HARDCORE MODE (basically, customizing it down to the very compilation options and CPU flags used).

Either Mint 19.4 with the Cinnamon desktop because it's modern, quick and Ubuntu based or Manjaro because it was stupidly simple to get up and running with. Mint has its random issues and Manjaro I haven't used much so idk which one comes out on top yet.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

53 minutes ago, SafyreLyons-5LT said:

Ack made a mistake I do not know how this forum works, still new sorry but this works I guess

Could you please elaborate?

As of now, wednesday, it's Pop!_OS.... but I'll install it tomorrow if everything goes alright so it's only speculative.

The reasons: Ubuntu repositories and a spot on aesthetic.

Will come back to this thread with a week or so of use.

Been an unhappy windows user so far.

Although I'll still have to deal with w10 at work, at least I have 16 gigs of ram and a 8500 here ?‍♂️ and it's all in dark mode now...

3 minutes ago, Den15 said:

As of now, wednesday, it's Pop!_OS.... but I'll install it tomorrow if everything goes alright so it's only speculative.

The reasons: Ubuntu repositories and a spot on aesthetic.

Will come back to this thread with a week or so of use.

Been an unhappy windows user so far.

Although I'll still have to deal with w10 at work, at least I have 16 gigs of ram and a 8500 here ?‍♂️ and it's all in dark mode now...

Pop!_OS uses Ubuntu's repositories from what I know (sort of like Linux Mint I would assume, most Ubuntu, some Linux Mint).

EDIT: Also, while we do use Windows 7 in classes, I have been granted permission to use Gentoo from a USB drive in computer science class. Until I figure out how to run AutoCAD 2007 and CATIA through WINE (currently, the versions we use in school have a garbage rating), I'm still stuck on Windows 7 for two thirds of my schoolwork. Also, here's what WINE is: https://www.winehq.org/

Edited by elsandosgrande
One more thing to mention

I used to use Debian but recently made the switch to OpenSUSE because of the small server farm in my basement. Debian has horrible Node.js support and the firewall used on Debian isn't as great. Plus YaST is a thing on SUSE which makes my life a lot easier.

Discord: Breadpudding#9078

GitHub: https://github.com/cbpudding

Programming Guild: https://discord.gg/7ZVbxXT

Arch Linux. Out of everything I've tried, it's the distro that most consistently stays out of my way and just does what I want. Gentoo has many of the same pros but I don't really have a reason to compile every package and my hardware (specifically my laptop) isn't fast enough to make the compilation times negligible; besides, if I really want to build something with my own flags I can do it through the AUR.

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

What software do you use? 'cause if it's any sort of python you should get on the venv gravy train!

pythonX.Y -m venv ./
source venv/bin/activate

to work exactly with the python version you want (X.Y) and the specific pip packages you want, regardless of distro :D

-edit-

relevant

Spoiler

image.png.1766f61075b261e36a9a5ffaa2b0d5ff.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

python

It's not, but thanks for the heads up.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

UPDATE:

Installed Pop!_OS this morning and so far so good, may have been a good choice.

The GUIs are beautiful and installing node and vscode was a breeze... just hadn't enough time to test it out properly, but will do soon.

My main concern was the wireless adapter, but it downloaded the driver all by itself and the mouse and keyboard (which are also wireless) worked as soon as I plugged them in (I made the install with a ps2 keyboard just to be safe)

At first I chose the wrong keyboard layout and had to do a second clean install but that was my fault.

4 hours ago, Den15 said:

UPDATE:

Installed Pop!_OS this morning and so far so good, may have been a good choice.

The GUIs are beautiful and installing node and vscode was a breeze... just hadn't enough time to test it out properly, but will do soon.

My main concern was the wireless adapter, but it downloaded the driver all by itself and the mouse and keyboard (which are also wireless) worked as soon as I plugged them in (I made the install with a ps2 keyboard just to be safe)

At first I chose the wrong keyboard layout and had to do a second clean install but that was my fault.

You could have just changed the keyboard layout under the language settings.

Fedora, is by far my favorite. But I have started liking Manjaro as well.

Gaming PC: i7 9700k | Noctua NH-D15 | 2x Asus STRIX GTX 980 DirectCU II SLI | Asus Prime Z370-A | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz | Corsair RM850X | Asus Rog Swift 165 Hz | LG 27UD58 4K | Phanteks Enthoo Primoo

Workstation PC: i7 9900k | NZXT Kraken x62 | ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | PNY Quadro RTX 5000 | Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Seaonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650 W | 4 TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

Server 1: (Web server ) 2x Intel Xeon X5650 6c 12t (Total 12c/24t) | Supermicro X8DT6 | 128 GB DDR3 ECC | AMD Radeon R7 250 | SuperMicro PWS-1K21P-1R  Redundant 1200W PSU | 1 TB 840 Evo | 4 TB Seagate Barracuda Pro | Fedora Server

Server 2: (Home File Server): i5 2500k | P8P67 Pro | 16 GB DDR3 2133|  Corsair TX750 ATX SLI | XFX Radeon HD 6950 | 2x 4 TB Toshiba X300 | 2x 1 TB Seagate Barracuda | 256 GB 860 EVO | Unraid  

Emulation System 1: Raspberry Pi 3 B, RetroArch on Raspbian with 8Bitdo Wireless controller

Emulation System 2: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black Edition | ASUS Crosshair III Formula | 8 GB DDR3 1600 | 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 1 TB | 128 GB Toshiba OCZ SSD | Windows 7 Ultimate x64,  Xbox 360 Controller

Ubuntu and fedora are awesome. Both literally work out of the box. 

Arch is good if it isn't so buggy and breaks stuffs after an update. I coudnlt get docky to work properly on it.

Manjaro, okay I guess. I can't theme the windows decor with a themepack on default xfce for some reason and it also breaks something after an update once. 

Mint is also okay. It's my first distro. Problem is that cinnamon has many tweaks that you often have no idea how to undo. Once I deleted the pannel without knowing how to get it back. Another time I change the menu icon and have no way to get back the original default. Some other times, theme pack did not work. Yeah, it was a bit buggy. Other than that, I do like cinnamon cuz it is quite snappy. 

Deepin I feel babysit you way too much. Everything is just mouse and click. The least terminal needy distribution ever in my opinion. User interface is pretty at first but you do get sick of it after a while. It's software center is buggy. Packages often fail to sync with the repo and download speed is quite slow. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, elsandosgrande said:

You could have just changed the keyboard layout under the language settings.

it was on the initial setup, the keys were all messed up, for instance, when I pressed "a" it registered "i", but I fucked up, I chose "native portuguese" but the right was "default".... and when I tried to change to define my password it didn't work

19 hours ago, Den15 said:

it was on the initial setup, the keys were all messed up, for instance, when I pressed "a" it registered "i", but I fucked up, I chose "native portuguese" but the right was "default".... and when I tried to change to define my password it didn't work

I guess I'm just used to mixing keyboard layouts all of the time, since I have somewhere between five and ten different keyboard layouts. I'm glad you have it up and running just fine now! Enjoy your stay in Linuxville!

I like a few for different reasons. Here are the distros I use.

• Ubuntu 18.04 - For anything I need stable. Workstations or purpose built systems.
  • CentOS - We have a few CentOS systems at work running various services. 
  • Oracle Linux - I'm a DBA so I have to include this since our Oracle 12c Database lives on it.
  • Manjaro Cinnamon - I use this on any personal computers that I use for non work purposes. 
  • Pop OS - This is making a name for itself. I like their forward thinking with support. This is the only distro that I could get working like its supposed to from a fresh install using the system in my signature. I'm not a huge fan of rolling release and this might get installed over my Manjaro installation soon. It's just hard to let go of the AUR. This distro was far and away the easiest to just install and get games working correctly.

When I had spare time to spend, I used arch linux and gentoo, but now that I have to actually work and do something, I just use Ubuntu

On 4/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, Chunchunmaru_ said:

When I had spare time to spend, I used arch linux and gentoo, but now that I have to actually work and do something, I just use Ubuntu

Gentoo and arch seem more like hobbyist system rather than actual end product and productive workstations OS. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

16 minutes ago, wasab said:

Getting and arch seem more like hobbyist system rather than actual end product and productive workstations OS. 

Sounds counterintuitive to use a rolling distro to get work done since you can easily lose your data between updates

I wouldn't risk it, that's the reason I stayed away from Manjaro.

I wonder if those who voted Linux have ever tried anything else.

Write in C.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:12 AM, Dat Guy said:

I wonder if those who voted Linux have ever tried anything else.

Same tbh