help for partitioning hard drive in windows 2000

maplepecan

Is there any way that I can partition hard drive in windows 2000?

I need to partition the hard drive for multi booting.

You understand we are in the late 2010s, right?

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

If you can boot to a live Linux USB, you can partition the drive there.

That's probably the only safe way to do it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 hours ago, FadedCrown said:

You understand we are in the late 2010s, right?

I'm using an old computer

I’m assuming you are running a board old enough that it may not work at all with USB booting.

In that case I would recommend getting something along the lines of Norton Partition Magic and burning the program to a CD. You should be able to boot to a CD just fine. You may even be able to find that for free on the Internet. I bought an official copy years ago though. Works like a charm on older hardware.

I used to use that program all the time back when I was using XP and 98SE so your Windows 2000 system would fall in the right era for that to likely work for you. Used on multiple IDE hard drives and a few times on older SATA drives.

-Moved to Storage Devices-

Just now, dDave64 said:

I’m assuming you are running a board old enough that it’s may not work with USB booting.

In that case I would recommend getting something along the lines of Norton Partition Magic and using a CD. You should be able to boot to a CD just fine.

I would imagine the process might be a little better with Linux, which you can also load onto a CD and boot to.

Thanks for reminding me about the lack of USB booting, that was a good catch :)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If you can boot to a live Linux USB, you can partition the drive there.

That's probably the only safe way to do it.

thanks

5 hours ago, dDave64 said:

I’m assuming you are running a board old enough that it may not work at all with USB booting.

In that case I would recommend getting something along the lines of Norton Partition Magic and burning the program to a CD. You should be able to boot to a CD just fine. You may even be able to find that for free on the Internet. I bought an official copy years ago though. Works like a charm on older hardware.

I used to use that program all the time back when I was using XP and 98SE so your Windows 2000 system would fall in the right era for that to likely work for you. Used on multiple IDE hard drives and a few times on older SATA drives.

thanks