Will a Pure Power 10 400w enough for my build *down below

spirals

Hello! So I'm new to this community, and I'm new to the PC gaming masterrace community, anyways here's my build 

-Ryzen 3 2200g (gonna OC with it)

-Rx 570 4gb (Phantom Gaming D)

-B450m-HDV 

Maybe.. if needed Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 200T 

So..I know this unit is very decent, but I am worried about the power/wattage that it has. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

Yeah a 400W will do you fine, hell I run a Xeon off of 450W, just try to see if it will have any 80PLUS rating, and if not hey, you might want to go for 80PLUS white/bronze

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Yeah a 400W will do you fine, hell I run a Xeon off of 450W, just try to see if it will have any 80PLUS rating, and if not hey, you might want to go for 80PLUS white/bronze

80+ ratings is just effecientcy, nothing about the fan, protections or anything. some bronze units could be chosen tho

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

80+ ratings is just effecientcy, nothing about the fan, protections or anything.

that's what makes it optional, esp for this low-power system, but it's still something to maybe consider

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

that's what makes it optional, esp for this low-power system, but it's still something to maybe consider

something like a cx 2017 would be a valid option, but around germany especially they're not that much cheaper if not more expensive

Thanks for the tip guys! ?I'm just gonna stick with pure power 10 now, just so you know Cx450 costs $80-90 here, meanwhile the pure power 10 (400w) costs $50. Corsair Cx/m is way more expensive in comparison.

1 minute ago, spirals said:

Thanks for the tip guys! ?I'm just gonna stick with pure power 10 now, just so you know Cx450 costs $80-90 here, meanwhile the pure power 10 (400w) costs $50. Corsair Cx/m is way more expensive in comparison.

yeah, have seen that before. the pp10 is decent with 400+ watts, so have fun with it!

22 minutes ago, spirals said:

Hello! So I'm new to this community, and I'm new to the PC gaming masterrace community, anyways here's my build 

-Ryzen 3 2200g (gonna OC with it)

-Rx 570 4gb (Phantom Gaming D)

-B450m-HDV 

Maybe.. if needed Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 200T 

So..I know this unit is very decent, but I am worried about the power/wattage that it has. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

That looks like a good power supply. The only reason to consider one with more power (like a 500-600 watt) is if you plan on upgrading in the future. You want your power usage to be around 60-80 percent of the power supply's rated spec. Also you might want to consider a modular power supply if you are working in a tight case. 

7 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

You want your power usage to be around 60-80 percent of the power supply's rated spec.

Why?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Why?

image.png.706fe2bd12eaa07dcc10b123d9a7bb01.png

this is what a power supply efficiency curve looks like for a 600w power supply. If you're using too little power you're wasting a lot of electricity. If you're using too much power its less efficient than it could be, and will likely turn the power supply fans on making it louder. 

the graph is from Tom's Hardware. 

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

image.png.706fe2bd12eaa07dcc10b123d9a7bb01.png

this is what a power supply efficiency curve looks like for a 600w power supply. If you're using too little power you're wasting a lot of electricity. If you're using too much power its less efficient than it could be, and will likely turn the power supply fans on making it louder. 

the graph is from Tom's Hardware. 

Can you please post the link to where you found that on Tom's hardware

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I recommend actually reading the context, instead of just taking that picture out of context. 

Either that, or refrain from giving bad advice. 

I did read the article. the main point of it was you want your PSU to be operating where it is most efficient. I didn't realize that conclusion was so controversial. 

Just now, Sorenson said:

I did read the article. the main point of it was you want your PSU to be operating where it is most efficient. I didn't realize that conclusion was so controversial. 

yeah, it is...

i normally don't even look at it anymore, i look purely at the quality of the unit

25 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Written by Aris, hey? Huh. Well I must admit you surprised me there. I was certain it was going to be a graph made by a random user in a forum post over in the Tom's Hardware forums.

While I don't have any efficiency graphs on hand for the Pure Power 10 400W, here's one for the Pure Power 10 500W CM version - which should be close enough considering it's just to illustrate what an efficiency curve looks like.

https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=wCO

image.png.67fb81ebc1e6c4b12d6615170421522b.png

image.png.9ebd917f0127100e2a464e299f12cb59.png

You can see that efficiency for that particular Pure Power unit actually has a [very slight] decline in efficiency beyond 60% load.

General advice is if you want a more efficient PSU, it's better to look for a more efficient PSU rather than trying to compensate for efficiency by buying a higher wattage unit.

Edited by Spotty
Swapped for 230V testing since OP appears to be in EU

6 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Here is what you would find, if you spent just 5 seconds finding the 80+ report for the PP11 400W.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20190419-183903__01.jpg.6688966db81a50c289ce53b4ea92f1bc.jpg

Do you see what I see? A pretty much flat, horizontal line. 

So you can pretty much ignore the efficiency, and get a good PSU based on factors that actually matter. 

Also, with an RX 570, they'll be using ~200-250W under load, which is in the range you suggested, just FYI. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Here is what you would find, if you spent just 5 seconds finding the 80+ report for the PP11 400W.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20190419-183903__01.jpg.6688966db81a50c289ce53b4ea92f1bc.jpg

Do you see what I see? A pretty much flat, horizontal line. 

So you can pretty much ignore the efficiency, and get a good PSU based on factors that actually matter. 

Also, with an RX 570, they'll be using ~200-250W under load, which is in the range you suggested, just FYI. 

No efficiency curve has a horizontal line like that. here is tom's hardware review of the 600w version: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/be-quiet-pure-power-10-600w-psu,review-33932-5.html

as you can see it does not have a flat curve, but as long as you are using 20% < it is really efficient. 

I don't understand why you guys are so up in arms over my recommendation. If you are building a computer that uses 380w of power it would be pretty dumb to go and buy a 400w power supply. if you are using a computer that uses 120w of power it would be pretty dumb to buy a 1000w power supply. I recommend to new computer builders to get a power supply that uses around 60% of the power supply's capability because it allows room for more power hungry components to be added and will generally be running efficiently. 

You are kind of coming off as keyboard warriors who need to nitpick every little detail. 

11 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

No efficiency curve has a horizontal line like that

That is the line that I got from the 80+ report for the PP11 400W. I recommend you read where the axes start, if you want to avoid looking like an idiot. Since it seems you are unable, I'll point out that the y axis on the 80+ report starts at 0, while the review on Tomshardware starts at 62%. Also to be noted is that the 80+ line starts at 20% load (~80W) on the x axis, while the one on Tomshardware starts at what looks like 20W. 

The PC is going to use closer to 200-250W under load, so even your assumption of 380W is way off. With a 400W, you can power a 1080/2070 without issues. If you spend more on the PSU, you should get a higher end PSU, not a higher wattage PSU. The higher end PSU comes with advantages, the higher wattage one does not. 

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That is the line that I got from the 80+ report for the PP11 400W. I recommend you read where the axes start, if you want to avoid looking like an idiot. Since it seems you are unable, I'll point out that the y axis on the 80+ report starts at 0, while the review on Tomshardware starts at 62%. Also to be noted is that the 80+ line starts at 20% load (~80W) on the x axis, while the one on Tomshardware starts at what looks like 20W. 

The PC is going to use closer to 200-250W under load, so even your assumption of 380W is way off. With a 400W, you can power a 1080/2070 without issues. If you spend more on the PSU, you should get a higher end PSU, not a higher wattage PSU. The higher end PSU comes with advantages, the higher wattage one does not. 

holly crap dude, I wasn't saying his computer was going to use 380 watts. Also I realize that the curve starts at 62% and then goes to about 80-92% efficiency above 20%.

If you look at what I said nothing is inaccurate. Are you hoping Tech Jesus will see that you argued on a form and get knighted by his holy ram stick? A new user asked if his power supply was good for his build, it clearly is.

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

No efficiency curve has a horizontal line like that. here is tom's hardware review of the 600w version: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/be-quiet-pure-power-10-600w-psu,review-33932-5.html

It depends on how you represent the data on the graph. The graph posted by @seon123 starts at 0% efficiency and goes to 100%, and disregards <25% load ratings of the PSU. The graph in the Tom's Hardware link you posted starts at 62% load and goes up to 94%, so any changes appear to be more pronounced in the graph, as well as starting at 0% PSU load to show the <20% efficiency where most modern PSUs tend to be the least efficient which creates a more severe curve at the start.

For example this is how Tom's Hardware shows their graphs with a smaller range on the Y axis (efficiency) showing values between 74% - 92%.
image.png.ca4a6002e20b102fea0133246c0b5acb.png

And this is the exact same data represented on the same graph, but with the axis range set to 0% - 100%
image.png.74b11360de2893b60327a90691b371d6.png

You can look at the raw efficiency ratings in a table in order to remove the bias of how it's presented in a graph.

Spoiler

image.png.fa51c13c20f1be75c4af255dcf96d1b7.png

If you take 30% load for example where the PSU is 89.5% efficient, you will see that between 30% - 90% there is only a deviation in efficiency of +/- 1% from that 89.5% mark. Highest being 90.488% (50%) and lowest being 88.6% (90%). This means that there's very little difference in efficiency between that range, so making statements like "You should buy a PSU that will be at XX% load for optimal efficiency" doesn't make a lot of sense.

9 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I don't understand why you guys are so up in arms over my recommendation.
You are kind of coming off as keyboard warriors who need to nitpick every little detail. 

I'm just trying to help explain it for not only yourself, but for anyone else who reads the thread who may be confused about PSU efficiency.

*update ok so I changed to a better motherboard that is X370m Pro4 AND I just wanna ask 1 question alright? now, you said me overclocking Ryzen 3 2200g pairing with the Phantom D Rx 570 4gb is okay w/ that PSU, but how far can I push? 4ghz at least? Because more GHz more power are consumed.