is mechanical keyboard better than membrane?

StanicEnemy

ive been using a gaming keyboard that is called A4-Tech X7 G800V for 7 years and sometimes i feel like i have to push the buttons harder to get response back from game,im a hardcore PvP player, im mostly playing r6s and the buttons feels so stiff, im thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard for myself but the real question is does it worth?

Up to personal preference really. Some people prefer mech, some people prefer membrane, and some people don't care. I'd just suggest setting a budget aside for a keyboard and seeing what you want, and if you have any brick and mortar stores around you with demo units, going in and trying those out.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's personal preference. Go into a store and try the mechanical keyboards on display, and make a decision on whether you think mechanical keyboards are better.

Mechanical keyboards are much more responsive than membrane due to having a switch to be activated as oppose to membrane which has a linear rubber dome that is often squishy to press.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Mechanical keyboards tend to be built better and longer lasting but it's up to you what feels better. 

There are plenty of different switches that range from being easier or harder to press. I'd recommend visiting a store or friend to try some out and see what works for you. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, StanicEnemy said:

ive been using a gaming keyboard that is called A4-Tech X7 G800V for 7 years and sometimes i feel like i have to push the buttons harder to get response back from game,im a hardcore PvP player, im mostly playing r6s and the buttons feels so stiff, im thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard for myself but the real question is does it worth?

IMO it can be worth it massively. While they do need to cleaned like any keyboard. the switches will pretty much last for around 5+ years with ease. I've got some keyboards that are mech that are going on over 9 years. With proper cleaning and care of it they can really last.

Switches for mechs are a personal preference as a lot of people will tend to go with Cherry MX Red for a first switch type and will tend to feel either they are to light or just right.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

if you like it, it's worth it. Better try with your own fingers.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

From durability stand point..mech keyboard do last longer than membrane in general.

However there are wide variety of them with their own unique characteristic and it could be overwhelming for a newbie.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Like everyone else said it depends on your preference. I like membrane when I am on the move as they are very quiet, comfortable and easy to type on while keeping a low profile. Mechanical keyboards are quite larger and I'd recommend them for gaming mostly for writing I don't know much. Obviously like most people do, I recommend you go in a store and try them for yourself to see which one you like best. 

Using a sensing membrane does not affect the key feel, durability or noise, and it is not synonymous with rubber dome. It is simply a membrane that's used to sense whether a key is pressed. E.g. some versions of the IBM Model M use a sensing membrane, making it a membrane keyboard. Meanwhile, Topre switches do have a rubber dome, but they don't use a sensing membrane. 

The downside of using a membrane is the max 2 key rollover, depending on which keys you press. With other sensing methods, you can have NKRO. 

Whether or not something is worth it is subjective. 

:)

The definition of what is "Mechanical Keyboard" is really quite broad. 

However, there are a few traits of "Mechanical" keyboards that most people agree on that are superior to ones that use membrane sensing sheets. 

1- Higher key roll over, most membranes only support up to 2 native keyroll over while plenty of mechanical boards have nkro.

2 - The ability to activate a switch before bottoming out, many people believe that this is a more ergonomic way of typing as your fingers aren't being abruptly stopped, this is sometimes possible on membrane boards as well, especially with ones that use discrete switches.  

A membrane board, uses a membrane sensing sheet, although most membrane boards use dome sheets.

MEMBRANE DOES NOT MEAN IT'S A RUBBER DOME AND RUBBER DOMES DO NOT ALWAYS USE A MEMBRANE.

For example, Cherry MY uses discrete switches on top of a membrane sheet, and Model Ms use a switch grid of buckling springs on top of a membrane sheet. Those are examples of non rubber dome membranes. An example of a non membrane rubber dome would be topre.  

Also, what defines better?
Quieter? Longer Lasting? Cheaper? Keyfeel?

Thank you guys for enlightening me about it, i guess ill visit my friend to test his corsair mechanic keyboard k70 lux red since there is no store in my city.