ASRock motherboard Ryzen overclocking issue

Hi, 

I recently built an AMD system with ASRock X470 Master SLI/ac. I have no problems with the system so far, and I had no problems overclocking the RAM. I wanted to overclock the CPU as well just to see how big of a difference it'd make. 

I went into the UEFI, and changed OC Mode setting from Auto to Manual, and went with 4Ghz and 1.3V, which apparently wasn't ideal as it crashed in the middle of Cinebench. So I went back to UEFI and changed the OC setting back to Auto, saved and restarted the system. Task manager still showed 4Ghz, I didn't try another stress test, went back to UEFI and changed the manual settings to 3.4Ghz and default voltage, and switched the OC Mode to Auto again. I restarted the system, and the base speed is at 3.4Ghz again. But the processor always runs at 3.7Ghz, which it didn't in the first place.

I can tell the OC setting is still at "manual" mode (even though I chose Auto) as task manager shows the base speed at 3.39Ghz and not 3.4Ghz. (When I first tried changing the settings, I just switched OC mode to manual and left the voltage and frequency at stock, that's when I got 3.39Ghz for the first time) 

Has anyone experienced a similar thing?

Thanks! 

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X / Noctua NH-D15 / Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 / 2x16GB XPG 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM / Radeon VII / 1TB Intel 660p SSD / Acer ED322Q / Acer ET322QU / Corsair Carbide 275R

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 7405 2-in-1: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U / 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 / 512GB NVM.e

Load your optimised defaults in the BIOS, then get either HWMonitor or HWInfo64 and use one of  those to monitor your CPU.

You can't trust task manager.

Just now, glenalz81 said:

Load your optimised defaults in the BIOS, then get either HWMonitor or HWInfo64 and use one of  those to monitor your CPU.

You can't trust task manager.

I will do that! I also have HWMonitor installed, it shows the same stats.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X / Noctua NH-D15 / Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 / 2x16GB XPG 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM / Radeon VII / 1TB Intel 660p SSD / Acer ED322Q / Acer ET322QU / Corsair Carbide 275R

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 7405 2-in-1: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U / 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 / 512GB NVM.e

Don't use HWmonitor with Ryzen.  HWiNFO gives the correct readings and Ryzen Master will too.  

You should check in your Windows power plan settings for what Minimum Processor State is set to.  It needs to be a value less than 50% to allow for the CPU to reach all its p-states and that is required for it to reach its highest and lowest speeds.  You can use any power plan you'd like as long as Minimum Processor State is below 50%.  I use Ultimate Performance and 20%.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

You should use CPU-Z for detecting the CPU and RAM frequencies, as well as primary RAM timings, and number of cores enabled. Voltage monitoring, don't use CPU-Z as it is not always accurate, especially when Extreme Mode is enabled. Use CPU-Z to not only check for CPU frequency, but BCLK and multiplier as well.

2 hours ago, Berfs1 said:

You should use CPU-Z for detecting the CPU and RAM frequencies, as well as primary RAM timings, and number of cores enabled. Voltage monitoring, don't use CPU-Z as it is not always accurate, especially when Extreme Mode is enabled. Use CPU-Z to not only check for CPU frequency, but BCLK and multiplier as well.

HWiNFO is more useful for this as it's all displayed concurrently.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

22 hours ago, nick name said:

HWiNFO is more useful for this as it's all displayed concurrently.  

Yeah, but it does use more CPU, what I was saying is its a basic tool that can show most of your info (there is a clocks tab at the bottom of CPU-Z which can show additional clock speeds). Generally speaking, I believe you should use whichever application(s) you are most comfortable with.

So I had to remove the CMOS battery as the computer wouldn't post with RAMs overclocked to 3200Mhz, so as I did that I ended up changing everything back to default. That ended up solving my issue.