FFXIV directx 11 crashing computer?

ChrisZH

So i have a radeon vii overclock to 2000/1100 at 1.15v and it works great with every benchmark and every other game. But ffxiv crashes at certain parts and requires a pc restart. Idk whats going on..

Any problems before you OCed the card? Save the OC settings to a profile, reset to stock, and see if it happens again. If it does, your OC wasn't 100% stable and FFXIV pushed it just right to get it to crash. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Its not stabile then. Benchmarks arent realistic loads, something in FFXIV is done in an order the GPU isnt comfortable with at those clocks so up voltage or drop clocks a little

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Any problems before you OCed the card? Save the OC settings to a profile, reset to stock, and see if it happens again. If it does, your OC wasn't 100% stable and FFXIV pushed it just right to get it to crash. 

I just dont understand how after every benchmark and games ive run it was 100% stable with everything. Could it be dx11 related??

1 minute ago, ChrisZH said:

I just dont understand how after every benchmark and games ive run it was 100% stable with everything. Could it be dx11 related??

If it crashes after overclocking, it's not 100% stable. If it behaves the same at stock, then it's a bug or issue. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Its not stabile then. Benchmarks arent realistic loads, something in FFXIV is done in an order the GPU isnt comfortable with at those clocks so up voltage or drop clocks a little

I put up the voltage to 1.2 to have it stable and work but it seems kind of high. It is watercooled but i dont think the rads i have can dissipate all the heat it makes.

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

If it crashes after overclocking, it's not 100% stable. If it behaves the same at stock, then it's a bug or issue. 

Ok so run it at stock and see what happens?

Just now, ChrisZH said:

Ok so run it at stock and see what happens?

yes that shouldnt crash

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes that shouldnt crash

Why would it crash in that one game though?? Doesnt make sense

1 minute ago, ChrisZH said:

Why would it crash in that one game though?? Doesnt make sense

because something it does creates an instability, perhaps some instructions are in an order that makes it crap out or its pulling textures in a timing that dosnt line up with the memory or whatever. Could also be a power states thing, going from a low to a high one or the other way around. Its hard to really say exactly what caused it beyond that its very likely the overclock

Builds:

Spoiler

FFXIV is an older game so it might push some simpler instructions harder and those are failing. More modern games might be using different instructions and loading it differently. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

OP, quick question, which FFXIV benchmark? ARR, HW or SB? 

Also do note that DX11 in FFXIV is much more stable than DX9, in general. What happens when you run it in DX9? 

And I am not joking, but download the benchmark again. I've had to do the same thing since they were unstable form time to time. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

OP, quick question, which FFXIV benchmark? ARR, HW or SB? 

Also do note that DX11 in FFXIV is much more stable than DX9, in general. What happens when you run it in DX9? 

And I am not joking, but download the benchmark again. I've had to do the same thing since they were unstable form time to time. 

Its the opposite. Its actually perfectly stable and doesnt crash when i use dx9. No idea why

1 hour ago, ChrisZH said:

Its the opposite. Its actually perfectly stable and doesnt crash when i use dx9. No idea why

Neevr heard that and I have tested it on AMD from R9 280 and RX570/80 to Vega56. What error do you get?

Just to be sure, we're talking benchmark or real game? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

11 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Neevr heard that and I have tested it on AMD from R9 280 and RX570/80 to Vega56. What error do you get?

Just to be sure, we're talking benchmark or real game? 

Real game. It crashes randomly, sometimes after an hour, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours. Its the only game that crashes. Granted it didnt crash when i put the voltage up to 1.2 but that voltage i could get 2100/1150 in other games stable. Just doesnt make sense why its ffxiv. Maybe ill try stock settings and see what happens. Or maybe just push it back to 1900/1200 until i put another rad into the loop. Junction temp gets to 100 on water... lmao

• 2 weeks later...

Normal stock on a Radeon VII, with Dx11. FFXIV will crash randomly. sometimes it will just crash the game. Other times it crashes the whole pc. Going through everything I can find online, and trying the fixes nothing works. before the last AMD update I got the gpu stable for a bit. However since the new update it crashes once more. Just waiting for the new update from FFXIV to see if that helps resolve any of the issues. For now, anytime FFXIV, WIN 10, or AMD does an update, it causes FFXIV to crash. I could be wrong, but I feel there is a software conflict somewhere between the three. (Side note FFXIV knows there is a Dx11 bug that crashes the game. They have yet to fix this)

• 3 weeks later...

I have same problem on ffxiv having ffxiv dx11 + xxxxxx error, i though defore it was benchmark software causing the problem, after remove that benchmarking tool, still same thd game is still curshing on SB content or i am guessing to that my hdd where the game is installed is hot at idle the hdd is at 41 C, because i transfer to a new case witch is the HDD is on the back of the mobo near the location of the gpu, also i forgot to check the temp of hdd whdn full game load i am guessing it will be around 50 to 60+ C, then system is not OC all stock, cpu  gpu, ram all stock.

I am trying to move the hdd on different location amd re-test the game.

the first photo is the inicial case i had use on ryzen 2700 and radeon vii. Then the second photo is the case use the HDD is on back of the mobo near the gpu 

20190415_121049.jpg

20190505_010919.jpg