Chinese members: Need help translating pinyin to hanzi

Buyingbf_
4 minutes ago, zassou said:

i do not consider my native tongue is a dialect, as far as i am concerned, if 2 tongues are not mutually intellectable, they are different languages.

my native tongue is cantonese if you curious. a native mandarin (putonghua) speaker who is never heard cantonese before, he probably cant understand a single word.

But you do know it is very trivial for speaker of one chinese dialect to learn another dialect right? grammars and syntax are pretty much all the same. The writing system is common and standardized too. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

dude, i see plenty Chinese taught in simplified reading traditional Chinese newspapers. 

Simplified was introduced intentionally to the majority (farmers) ,wiki exact timing yourself, last century? 

the more you learn, the more you want to distinguish yourself with those people

Just now, wasab said:

no really, its not that difficult. I even see these immigrants kids, who had only 2nd grade level education back in mainland china before immigrated, reading the tradiotnal chinese newspaper. 

by trouble i mean dont need dictionary, at all. traditional text, okay; simplified, not so much, every now and then.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Simplified was introduced intentionally to the majority (farmers) ,wiki exact timing yourself, last century? 

the more you learn, the more you want to distinguish yourself with those people

what the hell? are you seriously calling 1.4 billion people peasants? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

But you do know it is very trivial for speaker of one chinese dialect to learn another dialect right? grammars and syntax are pretty much all the same. The writing system is common and standardized too. 

totally untrue. while between some dialects is mutually intellgible to some degree, they often comes with character of their own. even it is written text only, taishanese text is way too different than shanghainese. not mention spoken ones.

i prefer the term chinese languages, they have common root of old chinese, but they are different. calling shanghainese a dialect of mandarin is like calling portugese a dialect of spanish.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

1 minute ago, zassou said:

totally untrue. while between some dialects is mutually intellgible to some degree, they often comes with character of their own. even it is written text only, taishanese text is way too different than shanghainese. not mention spoken ones.

i prefer the term chinese languages, they have common root of old chinese, but they are different. calling shanghainese a dialect is like calling portugese a dialect of spanish.

i never heard that before. show me some example of characters that are different perhaps? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

written and oral are two things.

formal written are basically very standard.

However  in oral, the expression/ tone/ position can vary a lot and have very different outcome.

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

i never heard that before. show me some example of characters that are different perhaps? 

從來冇聽過有呢啲嘢,究竟有邊啲字唔一樣? (written cantonese)

從來沒聽說過有這種事,究竟有什麽字不一樣? (standard chinese)

can you tell the difference?

4 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

written and oral are two things.

formal written are basically very standard.

However  in oral, the expression/ tone/ position can vary a lot and have very different outcome.

i said it is trivial because many recent Chinese immigrants here are non Cantonese speakers and they easily picked up the dialect of an already predominantly established cantonese diaspora here in a couple of months. They became fluent to the point you cant even hear the accent from that. Compare that to learning English.... Some struggle to achieve fluency even after one or two years. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, zassou said:

從來冇聽過有呢啲嘢,究竟有邊啲字唔一樣? (written cantonese)

從來沒聽說過有這種事,究竟有什麽字不一樣? (standard chinese)

can you tell the difference?

i dont get it, both are detected as Chinese and google translation are roughly the same.

Screenshot from 2019-04-10 03-03-06.png

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

i dont get it, both are detected as Chinese and google translation are roughly the same.

never trust machine translation, especially google, it suck at chinese because lack of chinese traffic.

i only started to learn chinese srsly when im in high school, my family moved when im a kid.

7 minutes ago, wasab said:

i said it is trivial because many recent Chinese immigrants here are non Cantonese speakers and they easily picked up the dialect of an already predominantly established cantonese diaspora here in a couple of months. They became fluent to the point you cant even hear the accent from that. Compare that to learning English.... Some struggle to achieve fluency even after one or two years. 

that is true, but many of them have previous exposure to cantonese before. think what kind of chinese ppl can afford the cost of immigration?

but if you telling me to communicate with an old farmer living in inner mongolia using cantonese only, no way.

4 minutes ago, zassou said:

that is true, but many of them have previous exposure to cantonese before. think what kind of chinese ppl can afford the cost of immigration?

but if you tell me to communicate to an old farmer living in inner mongolia using cantonese only, no way.

these immigrants arent exactly rich. I know a couple from affluent cities like shenzhen in Canton province so they already speak Cantonese but most are none native Cantonese speakers.

mongolians are like sino-koreans. They are outside the Sinosphere, their original, native culture i mean. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 minutes ago, zassou said:

never trust machine translation, especially google, it suck at chinese because lack of chinese traffic.

i only started to learn chinese srsly when im in high school, my family moved when im a kid.

to use those translators properly,  you need to re-arrange every single terms(if it ever gets the correct term you wanted) to be readable ,

but with that skills required, you dont need a tranlator

7 minutes ago, wasab said:

these immigrants arent exactly rich. I know a couple from affluent cities like shenzhen in Canton province so they already speak Cantonese but most are none native Cantonese speakers.

mongolians are like sino-koreans. They are outside the Sinosphere, their original, native culture i mean. 

INNER mongolia, a province of prc....

11 minutes ago, zassou said:

INNER mongolia, a province of prc....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_Mongolia#Demographics

But only because there are more Chinese there than Mongolians. Mongolians are not originally Chinese. You cant use them as an example of drastically different chinese languages and writing system. Look at outer mongolia, an actual country. Their language are not chinese according to the linguistic scholars while Cantonese does classify as a dialect and firmly under the chinese language family tree. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 minutes ago, wasab said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_Mongolia#Demographics

But only because there are more Chinese there than Mongolians. Mongolians are not originally Chinese. You cant use them as an example of drastically different chinese languages and writing system. Look at outer mongolia, an actual country. Their language are not chinese according to the linguistic scholars while Cantonese does classify as a dialect and firmly under the chinese language family tree. 

in inner mongolia han chinese is the absolute majority. and you are arguing the wrong thing.

7 hours ago, zassou said:

in inner mongolia han chinese is the absolute majority. and you are arguing the wrong thing.

Then what's the point of you bringing up inner Mongolia in the first place? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese

Cantonese is indeed part of Chinese langauge family. You can't tell me it is more difficult for mandrine speaker to learn Cantonese or vise versa than something like Spanish. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 6 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 2:39 PM, zassou said:

i do not consider my native tongue is a dialect, as far as i am concerned, if 2 tongues are not mutually intellectable, they are different languages.

my native tongue is cantonese if you curious. a native mandarin (putonghua) speaker who is never heard cantonese before, he probably cant understand a single word.

广东话不是方言哦!广东话是粤语,和方言不是一个类别的哦!

https://m.diyifanwen.com/tool/baijiaxing/

Chinese surnames are all on it, 《百家姓》-bai jia xing -"hundred family names".

Chinese surnames generally represent the family members of a person. The remaining 1-2 words generally represent the expectations of the elders on children.

成龙 (Jackie chan)

成 cheng-meaning become.

龙 long-Dragon。

dragon has a high status in China.

It means “I want my child to be a capable person”.

Screenshot_20191019-094635_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 4/10/2019 at 3:38 AM, wasab said:

dude, i see plenty Chinese taught in simplified reading traditional Chinese newspapers. 

I have a friend who was brought up in china with simplified but cannot read traditional

not substantial evidence but I assume there is quite a bit of learning required if one wants to go from simplified to traditional

*** Thread locked ***

Let's not revive these dead threads anymore. Please.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv