1400-1600 Stream/gaming Build

westly
Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,
1 minute ago, westly said:

the screws where reallllly loose aswell

Well then, therein lied your problem. The paste also didn't catch the corners of the IHS. Did you use the pea sized dot in the middle method? If so, this is its potential downfall. I like the method of "painting" on a thin layer with a spreader. It ensures full coverage.

5 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Chart first, this way we have a baseline and we can determine if we actually fixed anything. And yes, after that we can do the BIOS update first.

LOAD (CPU-Z benchmark)

vCore voltage - 1.08v (But it seems to be throttling). We definitely want to retest this alongside the temperature reading.

temperature - ?

is this when I start the pc?

1 minute ago, westly said:

LOAD (CPU-Z benchmark)

vCore voltage - 1.08v (But it seems to be throttling). We definitely want to retest this alongside the temperature reading.

temperature - ?

is this when I start the pc?

for LOAD, in CPU-Z, go to the bench tab and click on the button that says "Stress CPU." Then switch back to the CPU tab and grab the voltage after about 10-15 seconds. Also be running the temperature program as well and tell me what it gets up to.

Just now, jerubedo said:

Lol, thanks!

Oh yeah try using discord.

Just now, Jr SavageZ said:

It will be easier, you can do the call thing and do the video to tell each other step by step.

2 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

for LOAD, in CPU-Z, go to the bench tab and click on the button that says "Stress CPU." Then switch back to the CPU tab and grab the voltage after about 10-15 seconds. Also be running the temperature program as well and tell me what it gets up to.

1747374775_cputemwithoutanythingon.PNG.02d0c89672eb286198d71134cd5def2f.PNG93507145_withoutanythingon.PNG.d278dce622f5e1af7a38fced2153a513.PNG

^^^^^This is with nothing on just these items

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2090767070_withfortniteon.PNG.1345645808d14a5abcd33af8a3ad64a5.PNG

^^^This is with fortnite on max settings

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1082070928_benchcpu22.PNG.08eacdc0088b89471b2fdc0a3359c21e.PNG675725267_benchcpu.PNG.07d32899f703a9c7bc42402944b77513.PNG

The bench cpu^^^

1 minute ago, Jr SavageZ said:

It will be easier, you can do the call thing and do the video to tell each other step by step.

I like it. But I'm okay with ether way.

Just now, Jr SavageZ said:

1 minute ago, Jr SavageZ said:

I'd prefer we stay on here because then maybe someone with a fresh set of eyes might have other ideas. I don't work with Ryzen chips often so anyone else who knows more about temperatures, potential issues with BIOS, voltage tweaks, known issues with this specific cooler, etc., might have more light to shed on the issue.

Just now, jerubedo said:

I'd prefer we stay on here because then maybe someone with a fresh set of eyes might have other ideas. I don't work with Ryzen chips often so anyone else who knows more about temperatures, potential issues with BIOS, voltage tweaks, known issues with this specific cooler, etc., might have more light to shed on the issue.

Makes sense.

2 minutes ago, westly said:

1747374775_cputemwithoutanythingon.PNG.02d0c89672eb286198d71134cd5def2f.PNG93507145_withoutanythingon.PNG.d278dce622f5e1af7a38fced2153a513.PNG

^^^^^This is with nothing on just these items

2090767070_withfortniteon.PNG.1345645808d14a5abcd33af8a3ad64a5.PNG

^^^This is with fortnite on max settings

1082070928_benchcpu22.PNG.08eacdc0088b89471b2fdc0a3359c21e.PNG675725267_benchcpu.PNG.07d32899f703a9c7bc42402944b77513.PNG

The bench cpu^^^

got this

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

What is exactly the problem cause I'll make a topic looking for help?

got this

Ok, so my suspicions are confirmed. At load the voltage is lower because the CPU is throttling, the temp is too high. In gaming it's not throttling but temps are still way too high, and the voltage is pretty high, 1.35v at stock at 3.9GHz (this is still throttled a little actually).

It seems like the board is just giving it too much voltage. 

So try to do a BIOS update and then re-test everything.

5 minutes ago, Jr SavageZ said:

What is exactly the problem cause I'll make a topic looking for help?

Basically his motherboard is feeding his new 2700x too much voltage. In BIOS we're seeing 1.4v @ 3.7GHz. In gaming we're seeing 1.35v @ 3.9GHz, and at full load we are seeing throttling down to 3.45GHz with 1.108v. 

It could also be a cooler seating issue, or a combo of both the excessive voltage AND the cooler.

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

Basically his motherboard is feeding his new 2700x too much voltage. In BIOS we're seeing 1.4v @ 3.7GHz. In gaming we're seeing 1.35v @ 3.9GHz, and at full load we are seeing throttling down to 3.45GHz with 1.108v. 

Ok

2 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Ok, so my suspicions are confirmed. At load the voltage is lower because the CPU is throttling, the temp is too high. In gaming it's not throttling but temps are still way too high, and the voltage is pretty high, 1.35v at stock at 3.9GHz (this is still throttled a little actually).

It seems like the board is just giving it too much voltage. 

So try to do a BIOS update and then re-test everything.

im going to the mother board place right the msi

I was told go to manuel and change the volt yourself.. 

2 minutes ago, Jr SavageZ said:

I was told go to manuel and change the volt yourself.. 

Yeah that's what we're going to try and do if the BIOS update doesn't work.

Just now, jerubedo said:

Yeah that's what we're going to try and do if the BIOS update doesn't work.

it says I have to use a usb? correct? 

21.PNG.6716f825ae9e86b7399cc82f79a441ac.PNG

after I downloaded it this came up?

I really appreciate you spending your time and helping me.

Thanks man

You need to take that .A90 file, put it on a USB drive, go into the BIOS, go the flash section, and navigate to the USB/file location. Then let it update and restart. Make sure you aren't in the middle of a storm or something where you might lose power. Power loss during a BIOS update can brick the motherboard. 

I need to head out for a little bit so let me just detail the next steps:

1) Update the BIOS

2) Retest everything. If you still experience high voltages and temps then:

3) Go back into the BIOS and set the voltage to manual and set it to, say, 1.25v. That SHOULD be all it ever needs at stock. 

4) retest everything. If temps are still high:

5) re-seat the cooler. Ensure thermal paste is applied to cover the entire heat spreader. Don't use too much, either. Also make sure you removed the plastic protector on the bottom of the copper tubes on the cooler.

That's all I got.

okay

11 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

You need to take that .A90 file, put it on a USB drive, go into the BIOS, go the flash section, and navigate to the USB/file location. Then let it update and restart. Make sure you aren't in the middle of a storm or something where you might lose power. Power loss during a BIOS update can brick the motherboard. 

669599813_IMG_03901.thumb.JPG.511708995b162b6077f8491b72227282.JPG

would that have to do with anything? its set to 2

536033844_IMG_03911.thumb.JPG.bc5d29178f11c8872e3b216208dac5d5.JPG

the bottom one right?

and okay cya soon

4 minutes ago, westly said:

okay

669599813_IMG_03901.thumb.JPG.511708995b162b6077f8491b72227282.JPG

would that have to do with anything? its set to 2

536033844_IMG_03911.thumb.JPG.bc5d29178f11c8872e3b216208dac5d5.JPG

the bottom one right?

and okay cya soon