1400-1600 Stream/gaming Build

westly
Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,
1 minute ago, westly said:

the screws where reallllly loose aswell

Well then, therein lied your problem. The paste also didn't catch the corners of the IHS. Did you use the pea sized dot in the middle method? If so, this is its potential downfall. I like the method of "painting" on a thin layer with a spreader. It ensures full coverage.

14 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Yep, that second screen shot especially looks much better for idle. It must have just been a BIOS quirk then. Let's do one last thing. Switch over to the bench tab at the top and run the bench and then tell me what the voltages look like then. Better yet, take a picture like you did previously. If everything looks good, go on and enjoy your new PC for a while and if everything is stable, then try OCing step by step taking it slow. And don't start by OCing the RAM. Leave that on its XMP profile. and OC the CPU.

1088576889_IMG_03831.thumb.JPG.e398b4c622e2b7f84ae5f1435419b874.JPG

2009285210_IMG_03841.thumb.JPG.6cf369cc2206d6182ef93fd6d8bef821.JPG641043612_IMG_03851.thumb.JPG.7e67a33ee909077f617d956a0d3db24d.JPG1741984642_IMG_03861.thumb.JPG.99dfcf0ddf9d8dbad944f0dee3c2d096.JPG1904058129_IMG_03871.thumb.JPG.05bc118bd5176b51b302910317e615b9.JPG1904058129_IMG_03871.thumb.JPG.05bc118bd5176b51b302910317e615b9.JPG

this work? 

16 minutes ago, westly said:

this work? 

I just need to see the voltages while that benchmark is running, so while it's running swap back to the first tab and tell me the voltage and clock speed. The results themselves look good.

2 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

I just need to see the voltages while that benchmark is running, so while it's running swap back to the first tab and tell me the voltage and clock speed. The results themselves look good.

oahhh okay

brb 2 secs

4 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

425641249_IMG_03881.thumb.JPG.ba33cdfbd306dc5e39d270bb5af394f2.JPG

27 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

with out you I wouldnt of been able to do this, thank you!

22 minutes ago, westly said:

425641249_IMG_03881.thumb.JPG.ba33cdfbd306dc5e39d270bb5af394f2.JPG

That's healthy voltage-wise. It's in line with the chart above.  I do wonder why you're only clocking to 3.5GHz though. The boost should be higher.

12 minutes ago, westly said:

should i try and fix it?

Just keep an eye on CPU-Z and see what kind of clocks you are seeing while you are doing things. You should see it get up to 3.9 or 4.0GHz out of the box. I'd run a temperature monitoring application as well to make sure you aren't throttling due to high temps (and if you are you may need to re-apply thermal paste and re-seat the cooler).

25 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Just keep an eye on CPU-Z and see what kind of clocks you are seeing while you are doing things. You should see it get up to 3.9 or 4.0GHz out of the box. I'd run a temperature monitoring application as well to make sure you aren't throttling due to high temps (and if you are you may need to re-apply thermal paste and re-seat the cooler).

hey I want to buy 2 more fans for the tower any good ones?

11 minutes ago, westly said:

hey I want to buy 2 more fans for the tower any good ones?

Noctua fans are pretty excellent. So what happened with your clocks? Are you seeing them boosting like you should. What do temps look like on the CPU?

1 hour ago, jerubedo said:

Noctua fans are pretty excellent. So what happened with your clocks? Are you seeing them boosting like you should. What do temps look like on the CPU?

4.PNG.05dfe355dc07c2ca86efcd6822f6704f.PNG

38c? im on fortnite rn too 

that's no to good 100.4f

5 minutes ago, westly said:

4.PNG.05dfe355dc07c2ca86efcd6822f6704f.PNG

38c? im on fortnite rn too 

that's no to good 100.4f

That's the GPU temp which is perfectly fine. I meant the CPU temp. 

10 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

That's the GPU temp which is perfectly fine. I meant the CPU temp. 

Capture.PNG.2911e2e247f3dd1b08c0169223355bdd.PNG

is that bad>?

yeah that's really bad 120f

way to hot.

do I really need to redo my cpu?

Capture.PNG.2911e2e247f3dd1b08c0169223355bdd.PNG

is that bad>?

That's in the bios again. You need to download a temp monitoring program in windows. Just Google for one and pick whichever one you like aesteticly. 

16 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

That's in the bios again. You need to download a temp monitoring program in windows. Just Google for one and pick whichever one you like aesteticly. 

0.PNG.39a9d7981289657069c4f399f1067464.PNG90.PNG.00379f42690a6f4cf93b7bf5748e280e.PNG

25 minutes ago, westly said:

yeah that's really bad 120f

OK, so 60C at IDLE is very bad (however 60C at load is actually pretty good). Run the CPU-Z benchmark again and tell me what the temp goes to (I'm betting it hits 100C). If so I'd wager the CPU cooler isn't mounted properly. Or that you used too little or too much thermal paste.

13 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

OK, so 60C at IDLE is very bad (however 60C at load is actually pretty good). Run the CPU-Z benchmark again and tell me what the temp goes to (I'm betting it hits 100C). If so I'd wager the CPU cooler isn't mounted properly. Or that you used too little or too much thermal paste.

32.PNG.9f0a24799dc902ac09c701fab0ff4dd1.PNG

everything max settings on fortnite it did jump to 81-90

32.PNG.9f0a24799dc902ac09c701fab0ff4dd1.PNG

everything max settings on fortnite it did jump to 81-90

Yep that is very high. So just as a point of clarification these are the data points we want (I'm filling out the ones we have):

IDLE:

vCore voltage (not VID) - 0.835v

temperature - 59C

GAMING:

vCore voltage - ?

temperature - 90C

LOAD (CPU-Z benchmark)

vCore voltage - 1.08v (But it seems to be throttling). We definitely want to retest this alongside the temperature reading.

temperature - ?

At this point it does seem to be the cooler, however. As long as that last test keeps voltages just as low.

18 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

it crashed again... fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

my pc was warning me the cpu temp was past 85 and could cause issues than boom died.

Yep that is very high. So just as a point of clarification these are the data points we want (I'm filling out the ones we have):

IDLE:

vCore voltage (not VID) - 0.835v

temperature - 59C

GAMING:

vCore voltage - ?

temperature - 90C

LOAD (CPU-Z benchmark)

vCore voltage - 1.08v (But it seems to be throttling). We definitely want to retest this alongside the temperature reading.

temperature - ?

At this point it does seem to be the cooler, however. As long as that last test keeps voltages just as low.

oh so it was fine than? 

it was that same error from before...

5 minutes ago, westly said:

it crashed again... fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

my pc was warning me the cpu temp was past 85 and could cause issues than boom died.

Try re-seating the cooler first then. See if it helps. Ensure a thin layer of thermal paste is applied and that it covers the entire heat spreader. I'm still not 100% sure that it's not a voltage issue, either. I really need all of the above requested data points to know for sure. Either way we should probably update the BIOS AND reseat the cooler.

3 minutes ago, westly said:

oh so it was fine than? 

No, not at all. 90 in gaming is absolutely horrible. But I don't know if it's the cooler not being seated right or if it's a voltage issue. That's why I need all of the data requested. If it's a voltage issue then we need to start by updating the BIOS and then if it still happens, try manually under-volting.

No, not at all. 90 is gaming in absolutely horrible. But I don't know if it's the cooler not being seated right or if it's a voltage issue. That's why I need all of the data requested. If it's a voltage issue then we need to start by updating the BIOS and then if it still happens, try manually under-volting.

should i try and update the bios first? or just restart the thermal past. I would like the do the first option but ill follow you.

Do you want me to try and figure out the chart first?

should i try and update the bios first? or just restart the thermal past. I would like the do the first option but ill follow you.

Do you want me to try and figure out the chart first?

Chart first, this way we have a baseline and we can determine if we actually fixed anything. And yes, after that we can do the BIOS update first.