1400-1600 Stream/gaming Build

westly
Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,
1 minute ago, westly said:

the screws where reallllly loose aswell

Well then, therein lied your problem. The paste also didn't catch the corners of the IHS. Did you use the pea sized dot in the middle method? If so, this is its potential downfall. I like the method of "painting" on a thin layer with a spreader. It ensures full coverage.

4 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Yep, you got it, that bottom file.

nothing helped tested the bench still 85+ temp and the valt was at 1-1.3

8 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Yep, you got it, that bottom file.

i769000745_IMG_03921.thumb.JPG.6ee66bed167c0dba35f9626d8396172a.JPG

just the core?

ill wait intell you get back

i769000745_IMG_03921.thumb.JPG.6ee66bed167c0dba35f9626d8396172a.JPG

just the core?

ill wait intell you get back

Back now. Yes, just the vCore. Also put back your XMP profile to profile 2, the BIOS update put everything back to default.

2 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Back now. Yes, just the vCore. Also put back your XMP profile to profile 2, the BIOS update put everything back to default.

override mode and "override cpu core voltage to 1.25?

override mode and "override cpu core voltage to 1.25?

yes

3 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

yes

when I type 1.25 then press enter it goes to 1.2500v thats okay?

It probably is just making sure 

when I type 1.25 then press enter it goes to 1.2500v thats okay?

It probably is just making sure 

yep

Just now, jerubedo said:

yep

okay giving it some test tell you in a min 

7 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

yep

its been on the msi loading screen for 3 mins now.

its been on the msi loading screen for 3 mins now.

Force shut it down by holding down the power button, then turn off the power supply, hold down the power button for 5 secs, turn the power supply back on, and turn it on (this is called a cold boot).

it says its doing an automatic repair 

3 minutes ago, westly said:

it says its doing an automatic repair 

It likely won't find anything to repair. Just tell it to do a normal boot once it comes back with nothing.

3 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

It likely won't find anything to repair. Just tell it to do a normal boot once it comes back with nothing.

okay ill let you know when its done

15 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

it can take this long? or should i just do something?

8 minutes ago, westly said:

it can take this long? or should i just do something?

It usually does not, no. I guess go back into the BIOS and put the voltage back to Auto because it sounds like it's not stable. In looking at some more data it seems other users are saying that at stock this CPU can spike all the way up to 1.45v (not stay there though). The source of that is Reddit, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I think it's time to start looking at the cooler. 

Reseat it. Make sure it's on there nice and tight. Make sure you use thermal paste and that it covers the entire CPU heat spreader (IHS). Not too much, though. A thin layer. Also make sure you removed the plastic that comes on the eSports 33 cooler. If you didn't remove that it could be the whole reason for these high temps and throttling. Make sure the bracket on the cooler was assembled tightly.

17 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

It usually does not, no. I guess go back into the BIOS and put the voltage back to Auto because it sounds like it's not stable. In looking at some more data it seems other users are saying that at stock this CPU can spike all the way up to 1.45v (not stay there though). The source of that is Reddit, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I think it's time to start looking at the cooler. 

Reseat it. Make sure it's on there nice and tight. Make sure you use thermal paste and that it covers the entire CPU heat spreader (IHS). Not too much, though. A thin layer. Also make sure you removed the plastic that comes on the eSports 33 cooler. If you didn't remove that it could be the whole reason for these high temps and throttling. Make sure the bracket on the cooler was assembled tightly.

okay

22 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

yeah it worked after I switched it to auto

how do I get the thermal past off?

Just now, westly said:

yeah it worked after I switched it to auto

how do I get the thermal past off?

Wipe it off with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol if you have it.

Just now, jerubedo said:

Thanks, lets hope this work.

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

after doing this really good and it still doesnt work, 

whats next?

21 minutes ago, westly said:

after doing this really good and it still doesnt work, 

whats next?

I really have no idea. Honestly everything should work out of the box. Your tower has decent airflow (although just to confirm it's not an airflow issue, also try testing the temps with your side panel off). Your cooler is rated for 200w of heat dissipation, plus review sites tested it on a 1700x and didn't see load temps above 68C. Voltages still do seem high to me, so maybe you severely lost the silicon lottery. Or maybe you got a bad motherboard.

I'd say the next step would be to detail these issues over in the CPU sub forum and see if anyone there has any further suggestions. And if they can't figure anything further out, then maybe you need to return that Mobo or CPU and ask for another (Amazon is pretty good about that).

I'd phrase the issue like this:

"My CPU seems to be pulling more volts than it should and temperatures are very high. I'm seeing, at load, temps sitting at 85C and the CPU won't boost above 3.5GHz (and the voltage there is 1.108v), so it is throttling.

Then in gaming, the CPU DOES boost to 3.9GHz at 1.35v but temps go all the way up to 90 (they don't stay there but they do spike there).

At idle temps are 60C with voltages at 0.875v and clock speeds of 2.5GHz.

I've already tried manually setting the voltage to 1.25v in the BIOS (otherwise I've changed nothing else), but it was not stable. I've also tried reseating my cooler (which is rated for 200w of heat dissipation) and reapplying thermal paste, but it has made no difference. I've also tried to remove my side panel to see if it was an airflow issue but it made no difference.

I've gotten a warning that temps were above 85 on my desktop and soon after it blue screened and rebooted.

So, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? Are my voltages actually high or are these normal and I'm just having raw temperature issues?"

when re screwing do it as tite s possible?

when re screwing do it as tite s possible?

Yes, you want it as tight as you can get, within reason of course. Don't try to go for the world record of tightest mounted CPU cooler.

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

Yes, you want it as tight as you can get, within reason of course. Don't try to go for the world record of tightest mounted CPU cooler.

lol thank you. I will take to you in like an hour if you are still on

912181294_IMG_03931.thumb.JPG.b4e1ad3d1b46cf392101797192a2399c.JPG

What do you think? the screws where reallllly loose aswell