FX 8350 Throttling on Gigabyte UD3

I am now being told by Overclockers. Co.uk that it is normal and is down to the way AMD reports in software. To be honest I havent felt any slowdowns in games or other intensive programs. I only notice it in folding. The stats in folding or seti show no slowdown but the the software does. Weird. Not sure what I should do now.

Nothing to see here - move along.

well, go into the bios and try switching off cpu smart protection or anything along those lines.

also switch off turbo core!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Already done fella. This is not my first overclock.

So, I reduced the VCORE down to 1.344v and the overclock down to 4.5Ghz and this seems to have dramaticly reduces the dropping of speed and voltage.

If I reduce the voltage and more I get BSOD when I start folding.

The speed will drop down to 3.5Ghz on random cores after a few minutes then everything is stable after that with no dips at all.

Have I just solved the problem ?

So, I reduced the VCORE down to 1.344v and the overclock down to 4.5Ghz and this seems to have dramaticly reduces the dropping of speed and voltage.

The speed will drop down to 3.5Ghz on random cores after a few minutes then everything is stable after that with no dips at all.

What was the voltage at before?

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Yep, you're good. Sounds like normal underclock cycling.

Error: 410

1.35 volts at 4.5Ghz?

The standard voltage for the 8350 at 4.0 is 1.375 volts..

I would increase the Vcore to 1.40 and see if it drops cores or not.

1.35 volts at 4.5Ghz?

Right now it is at 1.36v @ 4.5Ghz. The reason I want to keep the voltage as low as possible is to try and keep the VRM's a little cooler.

It's because the VRM's get too hot that the board starts to drop voltages and multipliers. 

Right now it is at 1.36v @ 4.5Ghz. The reason I want to keep the voltage as low as possible is to try and keep the VRM's a little cooler.

It's because the VRM's get too hot that the board starts to drop voltages and multipliers.

As long as you're stable you should be fine.

That's a pretty good overclock, since I need like 1.37v for 4.3.

As long as you're stable you should be fine.

That's a pretty good overclock, since I need like 1.37v for 4.3.

For me it was always about the Ghz but with this new board it has to be about the voltage. 

I have a new cooling setup to be put in place in a couple of weeks so will push again. 

Do you get multiplier drop with your 8150 when stress testing or folding? 

For me it was always about the Ghz but with this new board it has to be about the voltage. 

I have a new cooling setup to be put in place in a couple of weeks so will push again. 

Do you get multiplier drop with your 8150 when stress testing or folding?

Not on all cores across the board no, just underclock cycles per module like I described earlier if I run 100% synthetic for 5~10 mins.

Not on all cores across the board no, just underclock cycles per module like I described earlier if I run 100% synthetic for 5~10 mins.

Do you notice any difference while gaming or any other intensive application. 

Do you notice any difference while gaming or any other intensive application.

Don't think so. I don't have a single program that can max it out other than benchmarking programs.

Don't think so. I don't have a single program that can max it out other than benchmarking programs.

Shows how benchmarking doesn't live in the real world. 

Unless BF4 starts to use all 8 cores at 100% I think we will be fine.

1.35 volts at 4.5Ghz?

Looks like I had to go to 1.4v after a BSOD after and hour of folding.

After playing around with LLC it is now solid at 4.5Ghz with no voltage drops at all.

EDIT.

Scrap what I just said. Running SETI@home the drops are back.

UPDATE.

Overclockers have checked into my issue and confirm I am right and have offered me a refund as they have no replacement heatsinks for the UD3 and no Rev 4 boards.

I have told them that I cannot be without a computer so I will let you know what they say.

I wish I could afford to pay more for the Asus Sabertooth but I can only stretch to the Asus M5A99X PRO R2.0.  Not the best but better than the Gigabyte.

What do you guys think ?

Go for it I guess, they'd probably let you pay the difference.

Go for it I guess, they'd probably let you pay the difference.

They wont send me a board until they get mine back. No surprise there.

New plan, stick the Sabertooth on the old credit card and give the Gigabyte back to them for a refund.

It looks like ALL AM3+ boards will throttle to some extent but much less with the higher end boards.  I could get a UD5 but the Asus is cheaper. I just hate that brown colour scheme.

They wont send me a board until they get mine back. No surprise there.

New plan, stick the Sabertooth on the old credit card and give the Gigabyte back to them for a refund.

It looks like ALL AM3+ boards will throttle to some extent but much less with the higher end boards.  I could get a UD5 but the Asus is cheaper. I just hate that brown colour scheme.

yeah, i have/had the UD3 v3.0 and got the same throttling on moderate loads and increased

the Vcore to compensate. and the VRM temps jumped 14° hotter. and the memory clocking

was not a pleasent experience. so i racked up for a couple of weeks and got the CH5FZ.

complain about the price point of the board, but there is something that ASUS does that giggy

and MSI can't do is UEFI. plus, the same 8350 couldn't break 4.6 1.4v, now is at 4.8 1.450v

and holding 70° stable on low fan speed H100i. till i get a likable case option for water cooling

i think there is more in it. and the NH-D14 could not hold that temperature at 12v.

I have the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 with the 8350 and at any speed, whether it is stock or up to 4.6 I experience throttling.

The speed drops down to 1.4Ghz as the multiplier drops to 7 and the voltage also drops. Only for a second but it is still there.

It did improve with reducing LLC but has not gone away.

This doesn't affect gaming but is a little concerning when folding or running SETI@home.

Overclockers UK, who I bought the bundle from tell me that it is normal for AMD chips to do this but it seems to be a big problem on Gigabyte boards.

Guys who had this issue then changed to an Asus Sabertooth reported that the problem went away.

Where does this stand me guys. I have owned this since October 2013.

The bundle I purchased was CPU, RAM, Board and HSF.

If a company sells items as a bundle they need to be able to work as designed i'm sure. Don't they ?

Vrm

I have the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 with the 8350 and at any speed, whether it is stock or up to 4.6 I experience throttling.

The speed drops down to 1.4Ghz as the multiplier drops to 7 and the voltage also drops. Only for a second but it is still there.

It did improve with reducing LLC but has not gone away.

This doesn't affect gaming but is a little concerning when folding or running SETI@home.

Overclockers UK, who I bought the bundle from tell me that it is normal for AMD chips to do this but it seems to be a big problem on Gigabyte boards.

Guys who had this issue then changed to an Asus Sabertooth reported that the problem went away.

Where does this stand me guys. I have owned this since October 2013.

The bundle I purchased was CPU, RAM, Board and HSF.

If a company sells items as a bundle they need to be able to work as designed i'm sure. Don't they ?

I'm only conveying what I've read on other sites, but the VRMs on the UD3 whilst are plentiful (8+2?) they aren't very good.

I'm only conveying what I've read on other sites, but the VRMs on the UD3 whilst are plentiful (8+2?) they aren't very good.

it's not the VRM itself, it's the VRM cooling. 

An aftermarket heat sink and better airflow around the area would fix that. 

In OP's situation there's little airflow around it because the heatsink is going to be dwarfing it. 

yeah, i have/had the UD3 v3.0 and got the same throttling on moderate loads and increased

the Vcore to compensate. and the VRM temps jumped 14° hotter. and the memory clocking

was not a pleasent experience. so i racked up for a couple of weeks and got the CH5FZ.

complain about the price point of the board, but there is something that ASUS does that giggy

and MSI can't do is UEFI. plus, the same 8350 couldn't break 4.6 1.4v, now is at 4.8 1.450v

and holding 70° stable on low fan speed H100i. till i get a likable case option for water cooling

i think there is more in it. and the NH-D14 could not hold that temperature at 12v.

70 Celsius is a bit high, might want to speed up those fans mate.

I found that the problem was much less with lower voltages.

it's not the VRM itself, it's the VRM cooling. 

An aftermarket heat sink and better airflow around the area would fix that. 

In OP's situation there's little airflow around it because the heatsink is going to be dwarfing it. 

The problem I have is that the HSF is pointing upwards as it is the only way it could be fitted so the VRM heatsink gets low airflow. The makers of the HSF are due to send me a kit to rotate it 90 so it actually blows front to back.

Add this to the board going back and me getting the Sabertooth with it's much taller VRM heatsink this should help with cooling.

Well, that's the plan anyway. I just need to find a way to pay for the new board.