New Ethernet jacks not working - switch has no light on the Ethernet ports

lavablade02

So I just upgraded my home to have cat6. WiFi is working fine on it, but the Ethernet isn’t working on it. I’m including a few pictures because it’s easier than trying to type out my issue. The cable connecting the switch to the router has a light, so it is properly connected to the switch. The other ports going out cannot get a signal though

image.jpg

image.jpg

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

I'd check if cables were terminated (crimped) correctly on both ends. Also, are there any splices?

The wiring is borked. At least one light of the ethernet ports should light up with just powered up devices connected on both ends.

10 minutes ago, DP1 said:

I'd check if cables were terminated (crimped) correctly on both ends. Also, are there any splices?

It it hard to see, but I think it is messed up

B4211B10-28BC-4136-AB4C-179D6A669C83.jpeg

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

You did type a but put the cap in upside down

I’m kinda clueless around networking. What do you mean by that?

@mynameisjuan meant you do indeed have incorrect termination, you will need to re-terminate (re-crimp) cables. Just take a cable that works and terminate yours likewise.

2 minutes ago, DP1 said:

@mynameisjuan meant you do indeed have incorrect termination, you will need to re-terminate (re-crimp) cables. Just take a cable that works and terminate yours likewise.

So like the ending on it is upside down? Like the “professionals” went 8-1 instead of 1-8?

I've been to a few homes and I am yet to see a proper termination done by 'professionals'. Be thankful if they didn't wreck your new wires with their powerful staple guns lol.

You need cat6 RJ45 connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rj45+connector+cat6&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I highly recommend these ones as they're a lot easier to work with due to special design:

https://www.amazon.com/ITBEBE-Plated-Through-premium-Connectors/dp/B07451LPHR/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ITBEBE+Gold+Plated+RJ45+CAT6+8P8C&qid=1554414943&s=gateway&sr=8-3

And a tool:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rj45+crimp+tool&i=tools&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Better yet: don't crimp them with male plugs. Get Keystone Jacks.

19 minutes ago, DP1 said:

I've been to a few homes and I am yet to see a proper termination done by 'professionals'. Be thankful if they didn't wreck your new wires with their powerful staple guns lol.

You need cat6 RJ45 connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rj45+connector+cat6&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I highly recommend these ones as they're a lot easier to work with due to special design:

https://www.amazon.com/ITBEBE-Plated-Through-premium-Connectors/dp/B07451LPHR/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ITBEBE+Gold+Plated+RJ45+CAT6+8P8C&qid=1554414943&s=gateway&sr=8-3

And a tool:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rj45+crimp+tool&i=tools&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

So did they just put these wires in Willy Nilly?

97E6D3D6-F1D5-47E9-B8AA-1FA0D73EFE00.jpeg

Buy a cable tester so you can see which pins are wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-Network-Cable-Tester-Phone/dp/B01M63EMBQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ethernet+cable+tester&qid=1554417377&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Pictures don't help.  the colors can still be correct, but if not making proper contact, it will not work.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

mynameisjuan above was correct; the cap is installed the wrong way. Regardless, the viable options at this point are to re-terminate, or install keystone wall jacks as Acedia mentioned above.

On 4/4/2019 at 5:38 PM, DP1 said:

mynameisjuan above was correct; the cap is installed the wrong way. Regardless, the viable options at this point are to re-terminate, or install keystone wall jacks as Acedia mentioned above.

https://www.amazon.com/Pass-Thru-Reliable-Klein-Tools-VDV226-110/dp/B076MGPQZQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=rj45+crimp+tool&qid=1554588724&s=hi&sr=1-6

would that tool get a recommendation from you?

8 hours ago, lavablade02 said:

I personally haven't used it but it appears to be a very decent tool for the purpose. What I like about it is that it will automatically trim excess wire when used with those fancy 'wire pass-through' connectors (otherwise you'd need to cut them off with something like a box cutter, which is a nuisance). 

Wire colors must be this way ... when you hold the cable in your hands and the pins towards you :

RJ45.png.37d08647c7155b389d8be55b6270852a.png

Same wiring in both ends... either one.. just use the same on both ends.

I just made a whole bunch of cables myself a couple of days ago and I would like to recommend getting EZ-RJ45 connectors and a crimper for them instead of the regular stuff. It's not an enormous improvement, but EZ-RJ45 is somewhat easier to handle than regular ones, just simply because you don't have to care so much about how long you leave the individual wires inside the cable.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

17 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I just made a whole bunch of cables myself a couple of days ago and I would like to recommend getting EZ-RJ45 connectors and a crimper for them instead of the regular stuff. It's not an enormous improvement, but EZ-RJ45 is somewhat easier to handle than regular ones, just simply because you don't have to care so much about how long you leave the individual wires inside the cable.

My goodness I wish these had existed the last time I manually wired a cable.  Why this wasn't the standard from day one is beyond me.  I guess a little risk of damp getting in the open cable ends?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

My goodness I wish these had existed the last time I manually wired a cable.  Why this wasn't the standard from day one is beyond me.  I guess a little risk of damp getting in the open cable ends?

I don't think even that is a concern; the crimper cuts the wires really neatly right to the connector, so by the time moisture is a problem for the cable, it'll already be a much bigger problem inside whatever device the cable is connected to.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I don't think even that is a concern; the crimper cuts the wires really neatly right to the connector, so by the time moisture is a problem for the cable, it'll already be a much bigger problem inside whatever device the cable is connected to.

I used to hate them. I called them cheating crimpers. Then I took a position where I was terminating dozens of ends a day and realized how convenient they were. 

Good tools make a huge difference too. A good set of electrician scissors and a good stripper is the difference between a 3 minute termination and a 10 minute one.