Is this speed normal for a Kingston SSD?

Denyl

I just purchased a Kingston SSD, but I don't know many things about them apart the fact that these should be much faster than a hdd. I installed the ssd, but in games it seems to create some lag that I did not had before when the games were installed on an hdd. I have the results of my test and I was interested to see is this is alright.

MODEL: Kingston A400 240 GB

RESULTS: https://imgur.com/a/nG8tRLb

THE OS IS INSTALED ON ANOTHER DRIVE

That's expected the A400 is probably one of the worse SSD there is on the market, all Kingston low end stuff is garbage and if not enough prone for shady practices too:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/184253-ssd-shadiness-kingston-and-pny-caught-bait-and-switching-cheaper-components-after-good-reviews

You might have got a bad unit already if you're feeling stuttering and other issues, the write and read speeds on that test are all lower than what's advertised by Kingston too.

So long story short you simply bought a crappy piece of hardware.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Alright, but so low on speed? I have an crappier ssd  by team l5 lite and it is much faster

3 minutes ago, Denyl said:

Alright, but so low on speed? I have an crappier ssd  by team l5 lite and it is much faster

Like Princess Cadence said, you probably got a bad unit and Kingston A400's are bottom of the barrel cheap, I believe that they're around $20 for 120GB.

The least I could recommend is a 250 - 500 GB Samsung if you're looking for actual speed and a good brand. Go M.2 if you have the room you will see a massive improvement over any SSD or HDD.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

Kingston makes good USB flash drives and SD/microSD cards but their low end versions tend to be rather slow (you get what you pay for). Still, they are pretty reliable and I've had pretty good luck with them, speed aside. I recommend them to anyone needing budget flash drives and cards.

Their SSDs, on the other hand, are significantly less than stellar (I'm tryi g to be nice here). I can recommend them only for target practice.

I recommend the Samsung 860 Pros and 860 EVOs. Most people can do just fine with the 860 EVOs. Stay away from the 860 QVOs, though. It's new technology that just hasn't been refined enough yet for prime time. If on a tight budget, look into the Crucial MX500 series.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, Denyl said:

This is where it inserted: https://imgur.com/a/nOYf6ER
I understand what you all are saying, but I can't get another ssd right now. Thank you anyway.

maybe you could tell us your motherboard too. would help more than just a pic of sata connectors.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Just now, Mo5 said:

maybe you could tell us your motherboard too. would help more than just a pic of sata connectors.

Judging from the Photo that actually does look like a motherboard that could still be on SATA 2, that could be the issue surprisingly and then no SSD would make a difference.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Sure. It is an  Dell Optiplex 7010 YXT71 Motherboard

Stay away from DRAM-less SSD's. Sure they are cheap, but they are really really bad in general. Any cheap SSD with DRAM onboard is what you want.

How I can check if my pc has sata 3.0? As I said, it is an Optiplex 7010.

I think a few things might need to be cleared up. When everyone is talking about SATA 3 they're talking about the signalling standard, not the physical number of the port. A Sata 2 (or SATA II) connector is rated for speeds of 300mbps while a SATA 3 (SATA III) connector is rated for 600mbps. A 300mbps connection will bottleneck most SSDs.

First I'd recommend you download https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ (from the same people who make Crystal Disk Mark). It will show you the drive health but more importantly it will let you determine the type of connection. You'll see a box labeled "Transfer Mode". What you want to see is SATA/600 written twice, meaning both the drive and the port it's plugged into are capable of full speed.

So this is what it will look like if the port is SATA III and the drive can run at full speed:

image.png.421740f2973b83e0ee909bb9f33b532f.png

And this is if the port is SATA II so the drive can only run at half speed:

image.png.59c9342e224236c449a0c987c2809994.png

From your description and some information I've gleaned it seems likely that the SATA port you've plugged into is SATA II. If Crystal Disk confirms this I'd suggest you try plugging the drive into the very first SATA port, SATA0 which I think is blue on that board and the one closest to the edge. From the chipset that port is probably SATA III. Confirm that it's running at SATA III speeds in Crystal Disk and rerun your benchmark.

Once you know the SATA port isn't bottlenecking the drive you can also run https://www.userbenchmark.com/. This will not only benchmark the drive but it will also give you a comparison to other benchmarks of the same drive. You'll want to see a green checkmark saying the drive is performing as expected or performing above expectations. If you see a red mark like below telling you the drive is performing below expectations (on a brand new drive) then you may want to RMA it.

image.png.3a7b9b024b39076d1a661dc32f174e68.png

Now finally there is just the issue of the drive itself. It's a DRAM-less SSD which means the performance isn't going to be great. That being said your benchmarks seem to be below what I'd expect from even that type of drive (the Seq results are what I'd expect from a drive being bottlenecked by a SATA II port and the 4k-64Thrd number is a bit worrying)

You were right. It was on as sata 2 port. 

here are the new results: https://imgur.com/a/9sW33fn

In CrystalDiskInfo I get no info on the health. It can be a problem with it?

I see. Alright then, Thank you everyone for your help! :) I appreciate