Intel announces 56-core Xeons, 10nm FPGAs, 100gig Ethernet

PCDCobby

Ars technica has put an interesting article up about intels new roll out
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/intels-new-assault-on-the-data-center-56-core-xeons-10nm-fpgas-100gig-ethernet/

The star of the show is the new Cascade Lake Xeons. These were first announced last November, and at the time a dual-die chip with 48 cores, 96 threads, and 12 DDR4 2933 memory channels was going to be the top spec part. But Intel has gone even further than initially planned with the new Xeon Platinum 9200 range: the top-spec part, the Platinum 9282, pairs two 28 core dies for a total of 56 cores and 112 threads. It has a base frequency of 2.6GHz, a 3.8GHz turbo, 77MB of level 3 cache, 40 lanes of PCIe 3.0 expansion, and a 400W power draw.

Ars Technica

The new dual-die chips are dubbed "Advanced Performance" (AP) and slot in above the Xeon SP ("Scalable Processor") range. They'll be supported in two socket configurations for a total of 4 dies, 24 memory channels, and 112 cores/224 threads. Intel does not plan to sell these as bare chips; instead, the company is going to sell motherboard-plus-processor packages to OEMs. The OEMs are then responsible for adding liquid or air cooling, deciding how densely they want to pack the motherboards, and so on. As such, there's no price for these chips, though we imagine it'll be somewhere north of "expensive."

MODEL CORES/THREADS CLOCK BASE/BOOST/GHZ LEVEL 3 CACHE/MB TDP/W PRICE
PLATINUM 9282 56/112 2.6/3.8 77.0 400 $many
PLATINUM 9242 48/96 2.3/3.8 71.5 350 $many
PLATINUM 9222 32/64 2.3/3.7 71.5 250 $many
PLATINUM 9221 32/64 2.1/3.7 71.5 250 $many

I did check through the forum to see if it was already posted here, I have read the guidelines before now.
my apologies if I missed another thread covering this.

3 minutes ago, PCDCobby said:

I did check through the forum to see if it was already posted here, I have read the guidelines before now.
my apologies if I missed another thread covering this.

your post lacks a quote and a discussion starter of your own, it doesn't meet the guidelines

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, PCDCobby said:

As such, there's no price for these chips, though we imagine it'll be somewhere north of "expensive."

Ya think!

well-thank-you-captain-obvious.jpg

1 hour ago, PCDCobby said:

I did check through the forum to see if it was already posted here, 

look closer

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

400w? Holy hebus.

I can just imagine the sales presentations to partners, they’re going to have to awkwardly explain how multi-die configurations are all of a sudden good and how Intel’s is superior to AMD’s “glue” that they dissed when AMD launches their line.

Meh, my pentium g4560 will outperform that...

JK 

Who would have thought that Intel will bring those in 400W TDP...

That isn't good optics...

A 400W Intel Part againsta 200W competition Part?? 

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"