RTL8821 network card not working with college wifi.

I recently changed my laptops OS over to Ubuntu 18.04.02, the only problem was Ubuntu does not have driver support for my network card (RTL8821). To get around this I installed drivers from this github repo, it worked for my home wifi. The next problem that once I got to college, the drivers could not connect with the college wifi due to it's encryption method 802.1x.

Any ideas how to get around this? I can provide some info as you need it but I am still pretty new to Linux, so you will probably have to guide me.

Thanks.

important figure in mensa

do you know what wifi protocol your college is using? It should look like this:
802.11(letter(s) here)

I believe that may be an issue with your driver.

If at all possible, and on most laptops it is, I would recommend changing the network card to something natively supported in the OS.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

2 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I believe that may be an issue with your driver.

If at all possible, and on most laptops it is, I would recommend changing the network card to something natively supported in the OS.

You're right, I am pretty sure it is the driver. Any recommendations on what I should get or does it depend on the OS?

5 minutes ago, Sychic said:

802.11(letter(s) here)

No I don't know, it is pretty hard to get much info from the college.

4 minutes ago, Sychic said:

802.11(letter(s) here)

He's referring to 802.11-Enterprise which allows you to authenticate on WiFi with your Active directory username and password. Wireless standard likely doesn't matter in this case as the card as compatible with up to 802.11ac

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, Jihakuz said:

Any recommendations on what I should get or does it depend on the OS?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I think your school is using WPA enterprise so you need to go to the advance setting and configure it. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I have had some troubles with my network card and my university's WPA enterprise network. Try to see if you need any certificates for the network, in my case eduroam required the adequate certificate for the network, you can bypass this by checking the "no CA certificate required" (or something like that) checkbox. And of course, be sure that the username and password you are entering is correct.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

@georgezilla I know it is a late reply, but you might have wanted some conclusion or something, I don't know.

I did go to my admin team, and they were crap. Didn't know what was going on. I searched through the logs of what the network card was doing and it was essentially unable to connnect to the college wifi because of its encryption (802.1x). I think this was because I had used 3rd party drivers for Linux that couldn't andle this.

So I bought a supported card for linux, and it works fine now.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you downloading the drivers from? There is a github repo maintained by the guys from aircrack-ng who have different versions of that driver. As of now the "best" version would be the 5.2.20 branch