1440p 144hz vs 4k 60hz

GenObi

I recently watch a video about this topic from Linus, he made really good point about 4 K gaming.

The video is a year old and I'm fixing to get a EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra and I WA curious if it be worth getting a new monitor, I still have old faithful, a 32 inch 75 hz 1440p. 

Thoughts?

Are you gaming on it? What kinds of games? is 1440p too low res for you?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1440p 144hz will last you for years. 4k Gaming is still not smart and honestly stupid to invest into at this point. I dont think 4k will be viable for another 2  Nvidia Card Generations at 100+ FPS in most to all titles. It Looks better then 1080p, still allows you to get great performance, and is overall a safe bet.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

1440p 144hz will last you for years. 4k Gaming is still not smart and honestly stupid to invest into at this point. I dont think 4k will be viable for another 2  Nvidia Card Generations at 100+ FPS in most to all titles. It Looks better then 1080p, still allows you to get great performance, and is overall a safe bet.

well,4K 60 is pretty awesome for single player titles on large monitors so it could certainly be applicable. Many gamers like fast paced titles where high refresh rates give an advantage, but something like Detroit: Become Human, which is coming to PC, isn't gonna look much better when it's buttery smooth.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, geo3 said:

144Hz is life changing. 

60Hz is terrible (no matter what resoultion it's at) and people making and selling them in this day and age should be ashamed. 

@fasauceome Wrong, wrong, wrongitty, wrong,wrong. 

My dude, I am currently using a 75 hz monitor and it's fine, basically the same as 60 for me. 60 fps gets too much hate. Is 144Hz better for my library? Yes and I'll be getting one soon. Is it objectively better in every way? Absolutely not. Friend of mine lends me his 1440p 144Hz monitor every now and then, it's real nice. Not a necessity though, games can still be pretty at 60 fps. That being said, if OP hasn't seen high refresh rate yet, it's something to see before one assumes 4K is the graphics update they need.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

144Hz is life changing. 

60Hz is terrible (no matter what resoultion it's at) and people making and selling them in this day and age should be ashamed. 

This is only applicable for gaming. If you are consuming/creating content, or doing productivity work, 4k is vastly superior to 1440p. 60Hz displays exist for a reason.

4 minutes ago, geo3 said:

It's applicable to anything interactive. Like moving a mouse to use literally any application. 

So you're telling me that I should spend $2k for a 4k 144hz display for moving my mouse around in Photoshop?

My display does actually cost $2k, but not because it is 144hz. It is 4k60hz but costs that much because of its color accuracy, color gamut and hardware calibration capabilities. There are different tools for different tasks.

Wow, i went to get a sandwich and response i got are good! Well as for games i'm playing witcher 3 right now and bouncing between battlefield 5. If i was to put a pin in to type of games i play i would say single player games are my favorite

33 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Are you gaming on it? What kinds of games? is 1440p too low res for you?

no, i think 1440p looks great, i usually play single player games with a the occasional multiplayer title thrown in there to mix thing up

20 minutes ago, geo3 said:

144Hz is life changing. 

was it that much of a improvement to have high refresh rate? what where you gaming on before and could you see the difference? i read somewhere that getting past around 100hz the eye has a harder time picking up on anything greater

8 minutes ago, GenObi said:

was it that much of a improvement to have high refresh rate? what where you gaming on before and could you see the difference? i read somewhere that getting past around 100hz the eye has a harder time picking up on anything greater

I went from 60 to a 120. Total game changer.  Like stepping into a whole new world of silky buttery smoothness. I have a 165 now and can tell the difference between that and 144.

38 minutes ago, GenObi said:

no, i think 1440p looks great, i usually play single player games with a the occasional multiplayer title thrown in there to mix thing up

then it's worth a shot to see if 144Hz looks nice to you. I certainly enjoy it, so 144Hz 1440p is my sweet spot.

Primary PC:

19 hours ago, geo3 said:

I went from 60 to a 120. Total game changer.  Like stepping into a whole new world of silky buttery smoothness. I have a 165 now and can tell the difference between that and 144.

Same here upgraded a year and a half ago from 1080p 75hz to 1080p 144hz and it's insane how much better it was, about a month ago I purchased a 1440p 165hz monitor and it also was a big mind blower how just a subtle jump in refresh rate can effect the smoothness of gameplay, plus the crispness of 1440p is just amazing. I recently played on a friends 4k monitor and his new build which is an i9-9900k, 32GB ram, and a 2080ti and even then 75hz isn't really my cup of tea anymore. It was very nice resolution wise, but to me 4k gaming is still in it's infancy and isn't worth the money and or performance drops it will cause at this time. If it were me I'd just get a nicer 1440p 144hz gaming monitor and enjoy it for the next few years and upgrade to 4K in the next generation or two of GPU's when they can actually be utilized to their full potential. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I guess I am privileged to have both a 1440p 144 & a 4k 60 monitor , for single player games or even gta 5 online I prefer my 4k 60 that’s just me tho ... I rly hate going back to the 1440p because 4k just looks so beautiful .. but sometimes I have to because some games are just too demanding ... but for fast pace I always go 1440p

22 hours ago, geo3 said:

144Hz is life changing. 

Very elitist of you - sometimes 144Hz isn't a benefit, but a mere convenience. There are needs in a monitor, and there are things that people enjoy having. I play games on my 144Hz monitor. I do other things with my 144Hz monitor. Then I move to my 60Hz laptop. Is it terrible? It's perfect.

Until most videos can be streamed at high frame rates, I will never need or want a display with a refresh rate over 60 Hz. Until games like skyrim aren't locked to 60FPS by the game engine, I will prefer a monitor with a higher resolution.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

My LG 32" 1440p 144hz was/is fantastic but I prefer my 32" 4k monitor. I had the monitors side by side and the 1440p screen looked terrible beside the 4k. 

The games I judge these sort of things on are my heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4. They both use 4k textures on things that can be viewed close up and the 1440p monitor does not have the resolution to pick up that detail. 

Surprisingly the few more extra vertical pixels on my 38" LG 3840 X 1600 monitor can show that detail so it is my new resolution of choice. When LG brings out their forever "coming soon" 144hz version I will get it and then I will have the best of both worlds.      

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 hours ago, jones177 said:

My LG 32" 1440p 144hz was/is fantastic but I prefer my 32" 4k monitor. I had the monitors side by side and the 1440p screen looked terrible beside the 4k. 

The games I judge these sort of things on are my heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4. They both use 4k textures on things that can be viewed close up and the 1440p monitor does not have the resolution to pick up that detail. 

Surprisingly the few more extra vertical pixels on my 38" LG 3840 X 1600 monitor can show that detail so it is my new resolution of choice. When LG brings out their forever "coming soon" 144hz version I will get it and then I will have the best of both worlds.      

thank you for your insight, its becoming clear to me that perhaps i title this thread incorrectly, i should be asking if i should be playing on high res low fps or i good rez at high fps

On 3/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, fasauceome said:

My dude, I am currently using a 75 hz monitor and it's fine, basically the same as 60 for me.

I'm using a 75 hz monitor, too. For me, there's half a world of difference between 75 hz and 60 hz, both with adaptive-sync on. It makes me want a 144 hz monitor badly, but that won't happen for a while, unfortunately.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I'm using a 75 hz monitor, too. For me, there's half a world of difference between 75 hz and 60 hz, both with adaptive-sync on. It makes me want a 144 hz monitor badly, but that won't happen for a while, unfortunately.

Yeah but I mean from the perspective of sensitivity to really high vs really low refresh rate or sensitivity to high vs low resolution. Most people I talk to say they see the difference between 60 and 75. Since I'm not able to see it I will invest in a high refresh rate soon, but not everyone prefer that.

Primary PC: