Motherboard help

Hi all, I was recently shopping for some hardware, but got stuck on what motherboard I should choose. I think here will be a great place to ask. What motherboard would be good for these specs?

I am aware that my GPU is underpowered; I am upgrading it in the future, as well as my processor.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $379.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $124.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $149.99 @ Samsung
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $71.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan $20.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan $20.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Corsair - LL120 RGB LED 43.25 CFM 120mm Fan $24.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair - LL120 RGB LED 43.25 CFM 120mm Fan $24.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $174.95 @ Walmart
Keyboard Corsair - K70 LUX Wired Gaming Keyboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Mouse Kingston - HyperX Pulsefire Surge Wired Optical Mouse $54.99 @ Amazon
Headphones Corsair - VOID PRO RGB (Black) 7.1 Channel Headset $79.89 @ OutletPC
Other CORSAIR Lighting Node PRO CL-9011109-WW, RGB Lighting Controller with $51.99 @ Newegg
Other CableMod AIO Sleeving Kit Series 2 for EVGA CLC / NZXT Kraken - White  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1570.50
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-24 11:42 EDT-0400  

1) it depends on what you're doing with the PC but the GPU isn't underpowered in most cases

2) I don't really see a need to upgrade the CPU in the future unless the build is painfully outdated

3) get a different PSU

4) the mic on the headset you have picked is fucking garbage for an $80. I have this headset.

What are you doing with this PC? And are you wanting to do any overclocking or wanting any special features of the motherboard?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1. dont be surprised if GPU thermals are terrible, that's what this case can do even after adding fans.

2. the monitor doesnt support Displayport input for 144Hz while its HDMI port can do 60Hz max, which means you have to use DVI-D for 144Hz. This connector is rare on cards worth upgrading to, so you should get something else. TN options include the AOC G2590FX and BenQ XL2411P, VA options are the MSI G24C and AOC C24G1

3. EVGA G3 has problems with one of its safety feature (I think it's over power protection?), check

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

21 minutes ago, fantasia. said:

1) it depends on what you're doing with the PC but the GPU isn't underpowered in most cases

2) I don't really see a need to upgrade the CPU in the future unless the build is painfully outdated

3) get a different PSU

4) the mic on the headset you have picked is fucking garbage for an $80. I have this headset.

What are you doing with this PC? And are you wanting to do any overclocking or wanting any special features of the motherboard?

I’m primarily going to be gaming, and I’m mostly likely going to overclock.

I wanted to build a future proof PC just so i didn’t need to spend more money down the line when I want to upgrade. What kind of PSU would you recommend?

I already have the void pro, and the mic is fine. Perhaps we have different standards, or yours was just a bit weird?

11 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

1. dont be surprised if GPU thermals are terrible, that's what this case can do even after adding fans.

2. the monitor doesnt support Displayport input for 144Hz while its HDMI port can do 60Hz max, which means you have to use DVI-D for 144Hz. This connector is rare on cards worth upgrading to, so you should get something else. TN options include the AOC G2590FX and BenQ XL2411P, VA options are the MSI G24C and AOC C24G1

3. EVGA G3 has problems with one of its safety feature (I think it's over power protection?), check

Thanks for the help. I will take this into consideration.

7 minutes ago, trunami said:

I’m primarily going to be gaming, and I’m mostly likely going to overclock.

I wanted to build a future proof PC just so i didn’t need to spend more money down the line when I want to upgrade. What kind of PSU would you recommend?

I already have the void pro, and the mic is fine. Perhaps we have different standards, or yours was just a bit weird?

We probably have different standards for the mic, it's definitely clear but it's pretty quiet, that's my main issue.

Whats your budget for the motherboard? $170 can get you a Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z390 which is an amazing overclocking board. If you want to pay a little extra, the Aorus Pro has more fan headers buying fan splitters would make you pay the same for the aorus elite).

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Don't buy the EVGA G3, it has issues with protections, namely OTP (over temperature protection) and OPP (over power protections).

The G3 fails OTP/OPP tests mainly due to the fact that the OTP and OPP are both set very high, so basically in lack of a better description: if your system uses more power than the PSU can provide (or your PSU gets too hot), it will just die rather than turning the PC off.

Anwyay, onto motherboards. The Aorus Z390 boards are great for overclocking and you get a lot for your money. 

I'd recommend the Aorus Elite Z390, it's around $170 and would fit your usage well.

13 minutes ago, fantasia. said:

We probably have different standards for the mic, it's definitely clear but it's pretty quiet, that's my main issue.

Whats your budget for the motherboard? $170 can get you a Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z390 which is an amazing overclocking board. If you want to pay a little extra, the Aorus Pro has more fan headers buying fan splitters would make you pay the same for the aorus elite).

I was thinking of an Aorus board, but it doesn’t really match my aesthetic. One board I had in mind was the ASUS Prime Z390-A. Is it any good?

1 minute ago, XR6 said:

Don't buy the EVGA G3, it has issues with protections, namely OTP (over temperature protection) and OPP (over power protections). Both protections are very important.

The G3 fails OTP/OPP tests mainly due to the fact that the OPP is set very high, so basically in lack of a better description: if your system uses more power than the PSU can provide, your PSU will fail.

Anwyay, onto motherboards. The Aorus Z390 boards are great for overclocking and you get a lot for your money. 

I'd recommend the Aorus Elite Z390, it's around $170 and would fit your usage well.

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the Aorus brands, but the aesthetic and colours don’t match. Do you have any knowledge about the Prime Z390-A from ASUS? I have been eyeing that one for a bit now.

1 hour ago, trunami said:

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the Aorus brands, but the aesthetic and colours don’t match. Do you have any knowledge about the Prime Z390-A from ASUS? I have been eyeing that one for a bit now.

Asus has always been overpriced. The Aorus boards are much much better for overclocking. 

btw the pictures that Gigabyte shows of the aorus boards, the color isn't actually orange, gigabyte just does that because it's their color. It's just the RGB is orange in the pictures provided.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

5 hours ago, fantasia. said:

Asus has always been overpriced. The Aorus boards are much much better for overclocking. 

btw the pictures that Gigabyte shows of the aorus boards, the color isn't actually orange, gigabyte just does that because it's their color. It's just the RGB is orange in the pictures provided.

After taking a look at it, it seems pretty solid. Though, the price seems to have went up, as they are being sold for around $239, up to $300 on places like newegg. Am I looking at the wrong thing?