Video Idea about ARM processors

dabigin

Hey LTT crew, 

I was wondering if you could do a video about how the ARM processors could possibly make it into the PC space in the future, along with the server scene given it's low energy use. I'd like to see the x86 vs ARM and explain how the tech space is beginning to turn to the ARM processor. I hope this helps you in putting out a video. I watch your videos as they come out and really enjoy them. If you make the video give make sure to give me a shoutout!

Later guys,

Brandon aka Dabigin ( Da big N )

While I'm not with LTT, this is pretty much a run down of ARM:

• It's important to note that ARM and x86 are what's called an Instruction Set Architecture or ISA. An ISA describes how software and a theoretical processor talk to each other. It doesn't even need to describe the rest of the system. While it can be nice to know what the differences between the two are, it largely is irrelevant as far as processor design goes.
  • The only way ARM will make a dent in the personal computer space is the availability of apps. Not just consumer apps, but productivity apps as well.
  • Low power doesn't automatically mean better. It's how much stuff can be done in that power envelope is what matters. For example, if a 10W processor takes 5 minutes to do a task, but a 12W processor takes 4 minutes, the 12W processor is actually better overall because it consumes less power for the task. One driving principle when selecting hardware for low powered parts is "how fast can I get the processor to go to sleep?"
  • ARM has been around for a long time. x86 is eight years older than ARM (and the IBM PC is only about 4 years older than ARM). In fact, chances are if it's not running x86, it's running ARM.

I've been hearing about Apple and Microsoft getting on the arm bandwagon as of late, As well as companies in the server space. I just wanted to know what LTT would do to shine a light on this. Apple and Microsoft could switch to the arm instruction set for low power mobile products, but I'm not so sure about the desktop space where gaming, development, content creators and CAD users reign Thank you Mira for the information. I really wonder how the processor landscape will change in the future. Well I'll check back later to see what others have to say about the subject.