600Wt PSU but efficient on low-level wattage

LightParticle
2 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

Why would you care about low load efficiency? You'll waist something like 7-10W:s with a normal psu on idle(under 70W) with Seasonic prime titanium that would be something like 5-6W. So that is something like 10days continuous operation to save 1kwh. If you want an efficient computer on low loads, look for laptops.

IDK, I'm just looking for a, you know, a better longevity perspective.

7-10W on what period?

On 3/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, Vejnemojnen said:

That's a very funny calculator. Actually, BQ's is kinda good approximate. Roughly 300w without oc, 340w with oc of GPU&CPU. AND I know that this calculator is not accurate either, it still overshoots. But way more realistic, than CM's offering..

Get Bitfenix Whisper M 550 gold, or Seasonic focus plus gold 550w, or even Be Quiet PP11 500w CM.

All gold, all modular, all under 100USD (at least in my country).

Névtelen.jpg

Ok, so Why I need to buy 500-550 Wt PSU if power draw will be about 350Wt? Maybe i should Look to the 350-400Wt PSU?

98% of the time I will be consume not above an 80Wt on my daily work/office/youtube activity. 

I did a some research and find out that I will save about 60$+ plus on 5 years of using 450Wt PSU instead of 550Wt. Maybe if I will plan to use PC for long-time gaming the gap will be erased but I'm not really pc gamer. 

I know it sounds ridicilously, but it does not all about the "saving" and "efficiency", I'm a 1st time builder and I'm just cuirous.

So, just for the "scientific" curiousty, who do I need 500-550Wt instead of 400-450?

8 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

Ok, so Why I need to buy 500-550 Wt PSU if power draw will be about 350Wt? Maybe i should Look to the 350-400Wt PSU?

98% of the time I will be consume not above an 80Wt on my daily work/office/youtube activity. 

450 watt?  Bitfenix or seasonic is available in both wattage. That should be good enough. Whisper m 

Actually I'd opt for 450 personally.. 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

11 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

I did a some research and find out that I will save about 60$+ plus on 5 years of using 450Wt PSU instead of 550Wt.

Can you show your calculations?

Well, I think maybe I maked a mistake as I started to check it out twice, but anyway from model to model is about 4-8% lose in efficiency. it's about couple dollars per year. So you can say it's close to nothing really.

But I think as we buying more higher capacity PSU than real usage this small tiny percent could be bigger up to 15%. If we're talking about 750Wt and more PSU's.

Here I'm talking about ~80Wt consumption in home-office/youtube type of usage.

For example you check this out fastly by this diagram:

cx450.png.5b2fcaa65d47d85fff0c90ef55da0730.png rmx.png.61b0581343ab25a4bef0432c14389320.png

First time when I use my calculation I did this service https://www.calculat.org/en/energy-fuel/electricity-consumption.html

and roughly putted in 80Wt and 90Wt for 16 hrs per day, i mean for like worst scenario, so it's about 10%, but really it's about 5%, so for price in my country it will be about 30$ years for 5 year I think

After some Googling time, i find out information like this:

650Wt (seasonic) efficiency at 80Wt is about 91-93%

season650.PNG.c21470dfe4f4335e743412ee2762c327.PNG

400Wt (be quiet!) efficiency at 80Wt is about 85-87%

beq450.PNG.e6243dfc9e32361b281709fab4769bd1.PNG

So, statement about higher efficiency on low-usage for PSU with small capacity is not actually true.

It depends on PSU model, I guess.

Just for the record, first one is Titanium, second one is Bronze.

But I think Gold would be not much better at 80Wt consumption than Bronze. My conclusion Titanium it's just like an exceptional PSU unit's with great specs ony like any level.

Please let us know your final decision. Did You go with 450w gold modular path ?

1 minute ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Please let us know your final decision. Did You go with 450w gold modular path ?

IDK. Probably I will buy any ~500W with a good deal (quality/price) as channel TechDeals recommends do

7 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

IDK. Probably I will buy any ~500W with a good deal (quality/price) as channel TechDeals recommends do

That's a great way to get a shitty PSU. No tech YouTubers really know anything about PSUs. The exception might be OC3D, who actually has a load tester, but I would take advice from my cat rather than from any tech YouTuber. That's not even a hyperbole, I would rather roll a die than trust their advice. 

:)

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Сouple words on your signature - be quiet!'s online calcuator. He is calculating more closely to real numbers, but anyway this site anyway recommends PSU with more wattage capacity then is your maximum requirment. So for example for 413 Wt maximum , calculator recommend 550Wt PSU (75% load), and for 450Wt PSU it shows red, like dangerous, progressbar at 92%. So anyways it pushes, at least psychologically, you to buy +150-250Wt more PSU anyhow.

49 minutes ago, LightParticle said:

So for example for 413 Wt maximum , calculator recommend 550Wt PSU (75% load), 

Yes, generally i always go with 75%. Ie, 310watt required under load, then 310/0.75=413.33.. Minimal psu wattage. Worth looking at the tables, esp 12v rails, the above given example would be covered by 450w units. 

Most modern and efficient psus are very economic under light load (ie 15%) so it does not hurt to oversize sometimes. 

13 hours ago, LightParticle said:

Cooler Master V550, if you can get it!

That's still the best PSU for low loads!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

17 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

It have really low-wattage efficiency 90%+. But I checked it reviews for this PSU and people are yelling off on short life of this PSU

17 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Excuse my asking, but, could you please mention a few options for PSU-s which are efficient at low loads? So they are economic, when someone uses the PC mostly Idle, without severe stress.

2 hours ago, LightParticle said:

It have really low-wattage efficiency 90%+. But I checked it reviews for this PSU and people are yelling off on short life of this PSU

That PSU die happens with everyone. 

Look at Seasonic, they seem to have really problems with modern high end Graphics cards with their lower wattage units.

So you best ignore those things...

As its totally pointless.

2 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Excuse my asking, but, could you please mention a few options for PSU-s which are efficient at low loads? So they are economic, when someone uses the PC mostly Idle, without severe stress.

There hardly are any.

The V550 are the only Gold ones, the next thing that is similar efficient at Low loads are Titanium units.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"