Can a WiFi card overheat?

John55

I have been using the ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC1300 PCI-E Adapter for 3 years now? I have never had an issue with it before. Recently, games that I play just get this sudden lag spike which is related to the ping because I have a ping meter in all my games. I notice that the location of the wifi card is located in an area where heat from the CPU and GPU collide. So, does overheating cause Wifi spikes? Where can I move the card to be further from the heat? I have a Asus Rog Strix Z270E motherboard.

While they can (my 7260 is a great example of it), having problems out of the blue when you've had it set up that way for a while seems kinda suspect.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Could be completely unrelated to your PC as well. Do you have more devices on your network than before? New Neighbors? New router? 

usually the add on cards don't get that hot warm maybe.. but i know the usb ones are horrible for over heating.. i had one got sooo hot that it did cut out and could almost burn your hand off the usb metal area when ya pulled it out. so could be just age or weird drivers.. i have a new one from gigabyte but it some times causes me troubles but im blaming the driver for this one.

I do not know where to get the updated drivers since Asus stopped updating this card. Anyone have a good card that I can buy or another card slot on the motherboard?

2 hours ago, Giffany said:

usually the add on cards don't get that hot warm maybe.. but i know the usb ones are horrible for over heating.. i had one got sooo hot that it did cut out and could almost burn your hand off the usb metal area when ya pulled it out. so could be just age or weird drivers.. i have a new one from gigabyte but it some times causes me troubles but im blaming the driver for this one.

Is there a way for me to completely get rid of the drivers and install drivers that are more updated but from a different company or do I have to get Asus drivers for this card because Asus does not make drivers for this card anymore.

2 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

Could be completely unrelated to your PC as well. Do you have more devices on your network than before? New Neighbors? New router? 

No one has moved in or out in 10 years. We have had this router for a long time now.

30 minutes ago, John55 said:

I have been using the ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC1300 PCI-E Adapter for 3 years now? I have never had an issue with it before. Recently, games that I play just get this sudden lag spike which is related to the ping because I have a ping meter in all my games. I notice that the location of the wifi card is located in an area where heat from the CPU and GPU collide. So, does overheating cause Wifi spikes? Where can I move the card to be further from the heat? I have a Asus Rog Strix Z270E motherboard.

There are many possible things that can be going on here.

1) Are there any new electronics, peripherals, or routers nearby? Specifically do you have any new USB 3.0 devices plugged into a USB 3.0 slot? Certain USB 3.0 devices can interfere with the 2.4GHz band that Wi-Fi uses.

2) Are you sure that it's your Wi-Fi adapter actually causing the issue? A spike in ping like that could also be your ISP. I would run a few speed tests and jitter tests using a wired in connection if possible (or play the games giving you issues while wired in). If everything checks out while you are wired in then you can eliminate your ISP as the culprit. Of course this assumes that this issue is consistently reproducible.

3) Have you changed any router settings recently? Specifically Wi-Fi channels, 2.4GHz band vs 5GHz band, etc?

4) It could be instability in the game server (if it's only happening in one game). Were there any game patches recently? 

These are just a few off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, John55 said:

Is there a way for me to completely get rid of the drivers and install drivers that are more updated but from a different company or do I have to get Asus drivers for this card because Asus does not make drivers for this card anymore.

i guess it would depend if its like asus rebrand or something.. but that i dont even know about for sure. for mine its a gigabyte made pcb and rebrand but the actual module is a slotted intel wifi put into thats removable. i guess if intel had the drivers for that module of mine i probably could if they did, but i never tried. sadly i cant say hopefully someone else may know an answer to that one though. i was just giving some possible things that i have experienced in my time however.

Ok, so I have the Asus Rog Strix Z270E motherboard. There is a slot for the wifi card right above the GPU slot and one near the power supply. However, when I put my wifi card on the slot near the power supply it won't even be recognized by the PC. It is only recognized when I put it in the slot above the GPU. Is there a location where I can put my wifi card into a different slot on this motherboard? I think maybe that might help.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:38 PM, John55 said:

I play just get this sudden lag spike

Theres a lot of great responses in this thread, but if you're still having trouble try calling you ISP. I was having an issue very similar to yours (sudden and frequent ping spikes, and my ping would usually hover around 200), and when I called my ISP I found that they were trying to push an update to my router, but for some odd reason it just didn't want to update causing ridiculous congestion and ping lag! they managed to fully push the update to my modem and my wifi has been smooth as butter ever since. 

• 3 years later...

For me it is that when i installed a new gpu it started getting realy bad 

Any help?