How to Remove All Permission and Privilege Restrictions?

avrona

Does anyone here maybe know how to remove all permissions and privileges and admin stuff from a system? I remember I somehow did it previously before I had to reinstall Windows a few days ago because of constant BSOD, but I can't remember how and I can't seem to find it and now it looks that I have to do it again because it's not even allowing me to write to the root of one of my drives or install programs to another entirely.

i think your talking about UAC, just type that in the search bar on the start menu.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Just now, Slayerking92 said:

i think your talking about UAC, just type that in the search bar on the start menu.

I'm not talking about removing those pop up messages when you run a file, but rather getting rid of all restrictions and special privileges on the machine.

2 minutes ago, avrona said:

I'm not talking about removing those pop up messages when you run a file, but rather getting rid of all restrictions and special privileges on the machine.

Reinstall Windows or format the hard drive having the restrictions.

Just now, LinusOnLine said:

Reinstall Windows or format the hard drive having the restrictions.

I literally just reinstalled Windows a few days ago and ever since then I had this problem

Do a clean install and all rights will be new.

Again, I literally just did it a few days ago and it didn't help with the whole privileges situation.

1 minute ago, avrona said:

Again, I literally just did it a few days ago and it didn't help with the whole privileges situation.

post a screenshot

Just now, slashqpbyte said:

post a screenshot

unknown.pngunknown.png

Are you logged in as a local administrator? If you are you could always take ownership of directories you can not access.

Are you logged in as a local administrator? If you are you could always take ownership of directories you can not access.

I really have no idea nor don't know how to check.

Are you trying to install a program? If you are, hold down shift, right click the install file and chose run as administrator and it should work.

Right click the file/directory, properties (bottom of list), security tab, advanced (mid right) owner: and set it to your account, or change the permission that your account has on that directory 

@avrona

I make intelligent lights do cool things

Are you trying to install a program? If you are, hold down shift, right click the install file and chose run as administrator and it should work.

I've tried installing a program because I couldn't install another program, so I wanted to install it through that program. And running as admin didn't help. And just one of my issues though, the other being not being able to write anything to the root of my F drive.

3 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

Right click the file/directory, properties (bottom of list), security tab, advanced (mid right) owner: and set it to your account, or change the permission that your account has on that directory 

@avrona

But it's not just one drive being affected, I seem to have so weird privileges related issues all-around, so how can I just fully get rid of all of it? I know there is a way as I managed to do it on my previous Windows before I reinstalled a few days ago.

Sounds like the drive is holding on to an old SID number from an older installation and in that case you do not have rights to do much on a Windows machine since the new installation has another SID. Frankly the fastest way to fix it is a new install and reformat all the drives but you can also log in as an administrator and take ownership of the drives again. It will replace the SID but I would still recommend to redo it all to get it right automatically.

This kind of explains how to do it but if you do not even know if you are logged in as an administrator or not I would not recommend it at all.

Edit:Forgot the Link :)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-take-ownership-files-and-folders-windows-10

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

Sounds like the drive is holding on to an old SID number from an older installation and in that case you do not have rights to do much on a Windows machine since the new installation has another SID. Frankly the fastest way to fix it is a new install and reformat all the drives but you can also log in as an administrator and take ownership of the drives again. It will replace the SID but I would still recommend to redo it all to get it right automatically.

This kind of explains how to do it but if you do not even know if you are logged in as an administrator or not I would not recommend it at all.

It says administrator under my name and email in "Your info" so I guess I am.

or just R-click the file you are trying to install, and say "Run as administrator"

image.png.55a7419f79c85e472657af97ef12e17f.png

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

10 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

or just R-click the file you are trying to install, and say "Run as administrator"

That didn't help also, that's why I want to get rid of all restrictions on the whole PC like before.

11 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

Will not work if the permissions is set to an earlier installations administrator group. He also already tried that if you read the thread.

@avrona

Do you have spare 2nd HDD/SSD? If you do, create a new folder(leave "New Folder" name for now) in 2nd HDD/SSD then move your Installer programs folder in "New Folder" folder and try run installer as Admin.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

19 hours ago, avrona said:

But it's not just one drive being affected, I seem to have so weird privileges related issues all-around, so how can I just fully get rid of all of it? I know there is a way as I managed to do it on my previous Windows before I reinstalled a few days ago.

If that is indeed your issue, you would have to take ownership and set permissions for your account to modify, delete, or create inside the protected folder (as @YaBoiWill said). The problem isn't administrator account or not, it is getting permissions for protected folders that are currently owned by Trusted Installer.

Windows does not like giving full permissions for everything to the user...especially if they're system files or related folders...if the user has no idea what they're doing, they can do a lot of damage (saving the user from themselves). Unless you're in a special situation, I highly recommend never to take control of protected folders in Windows.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

You know, if you have problem with some directory, just take ownership and set permissions. Not all at once, just when you'll need it (like in your example). How hard that may be?

So I finally remembered how at least what program I've used to do it before, and it was Registry Editor. Using that again, I managed to fix the issue with not being writing to the root of my F drive, but for some reason I still can't install to my C drive.