Stock or External Cooler for OCing Ryzen 2600

Scrubx

Hey Guys,

so I am set on getting a Amd Ryzen 5 2600.

The only remaining question about it is wether the stock (Wraith Stealth) cooler is sufficient for overclocking or wether I should invest some money into a external cooler,

given I am somewhat on a budget not buying an extrenal cooler would  be dope but on the other hand it wouldn't kill me to get one. 

My case supports up to 150mm coolers btw so a decent bit of external coolers I looked at wouldn't fit anyways.

I have read through all the relevant threads I could find and watched a few videos on the topic, it seems to me that most people are saying that the stock cooler is generally decent and sufficient for overclocking.

I am not planning on doing some crazy 4.2ghz overclocking, I generally was planning on overclocking it to about 3.8-4ghz (depending on how lucky I am with the exact chip I'll get).

Maybe it is worth to mention that I am not planning on doing some crazy cpu heavy tasks with the pc - I generally just want to play some games like WoW and LoL and stream + play a bunch of poker.

So I'd be really glad for a few opinions! :)

Do I need an external cooler?

If so which one would you recommend for a budget build?

If I would get an external cooler I was eyeballing these two: First or Second (not sure if it sucks that this one is a "slim" one)

Greetings

Sebastian

The stock cooler is good for light overclocking. I think the Cryorig H7 should fit in your case with that clearance. The H7 is a pretty good, small air cooler.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

3 minutes ago, Scrubx said:

If I would get an external cooler I was eyeballing these two: First or Second (not sure if it sucks that this one is a "slim" one)

The Pure Rock Slim cooler performs equal or worse than the stock Wraith cooler

2 minutes ago, mxk. said:

The stock cooler is good for light overclocking. I think the Cryorig H7 should fit in your case with that clearance. The H7 is a pretty good, small air cooler.

Could you define "light" overclocking? Would 3.8ghz be considered light overclocking?

1 minute ago, OVD_NL said:

ah ok ya interesting - and the first one? I read / heard good things about that one.

1 minute ago, Scrubx said:

ah ok ya interesting - and the first one? I read / heard good things about that one.

Just looking at the picture is looks like the heatsink is as around the same size as the Pure Rock Slim, myself i have a Pure Rock cooler with a R5 1600 and my idle temps are around 30-40c

1 minute ago, Scrubx said:

Could you define "light" overclocking? Would 3.8ghz be considered light overclocking?

I don't really remember the base clocks of the 2600, but I would consider light not much over the highest speed that the CPU turbos up to.

Just now, Scrubx said:

Looks ok, kinda ugly but if you don't care, then it doesn't matter. If you've heard good things about it, then it's probably a pretty good cooler.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

7 minutes ago, OVD_NL said:

Just looking at the picture is looks like the heatsink is as around the same size as the Pure Rock Slim, myself i have a Pure Rock cooler with a R5 1600 and my idle temps are around 30-40c

Yeah I was also looking at the normal pure rock but it is 155mm which MIGHT get a bit close in my case

7 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I don't really remember the base clocks of the 2600, but I would consider light not much over the highest speed that the CPU turbos up to.

Looks ok, kinda ugly but if you don't care, then it doesn't matter. If you've heard good things about it, then it's probably a pretty good cooler.

So the base ghz is 3.4 - I think the turbo is like 3.8 or 3.9 ghz? not 100% sure

13 minutes ago, OVD_NL said:

The 125mm tower? Are you sure about that? I don't see how a copper-based tower with heatpipes and a 92mm fan could be outperformed by the smallest of the Wraith cooler family.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The 125mm tower? Are you sure about that? I don't see how a copper-based tower with heatpipes and a 92mm fan could be outperformed by the smallest of the Wraith cooler family.

Multiple people in this community said that the Wraith Stealth and Spire were outperforming the Pure Rock Slim...

12 minutes ago, OVD_NL said:

Multiple people in this community said that the Wraith Stealth and Spire were outperforming the Pure Rock Slim...

That just doesn't seem right based upon the results I've gotten on 65W chips with my own Pure Rock Slim, but ok?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

30 minutes ago, Scrubx said:

Yeah I was also looking at the normal pure rock but it is 155mm which MIGHT get a bit close in my case

So the base ghz is 3.4 - I think the turbo is like 3.8 or 3.9 ghz? not 100% sure

I just looked and it says the r5 2600 boost is 3.9, and the stock cooler can manage that. Maybe get an aftermarket cooler just so temps are lower when you have it clocked at 3.8 all the time.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra