When will it be unsafe to use Windows 7 and what will I do about it?

Windows95

Im not really looking forward to moving into NSA-fest Windows 10, but I still need Windows for many programs.. what can i do

Go Linux + wine?

As if data is not being collected while using OS that are not Win10. If you are online and use a web browser you are already profiled one way or another. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

You're using Windows like many people.  It's always unsafe because every OS sucks in some fashion (feel free to reference the Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie song here if you want), and malware writers often focus their attention more on the most popular OS and software.

In terms of when Win7 security updates end, that's been announced as January 14th, 2020:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

According to Microsoft it has been unsafe to use Windows 7 for several years now.  As soon as Windows 10 was released, Win7 instantly became garbage and people were using it "at their own peril"

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/631414/Windows-7-Security-Warning-Microsoft

As @PineyCreek pointed out, security updates will be available until January 14th 2020.  As soon as that patch is released, any new vulnerabilities will not be patched anymore.

I expect that people will be holding on to their exploits in the last couple of months, hoping that MS doesn't accidentally find them.  That way they'll be able to use them as soon as MS releases the final patch. 

My main PC is on Win7 still, I will not be installing Win8.1 or Win10 on it.  In 10 months I'm wiping the whole thing and from then on it'll run Linux.

My old rig is currently a testing platform for all kinds of stuff.  Different Linux distros, different desktop environments, trying native Linux alternatives to the Windows software that I normally use, etc etc.  That way I have plenty of time to find out what works best for me and make the transition as smooth as possible.  I'd suggest you do the same. 

If you don't happen to have an older PC laying around, now would be a good time to start playing with virtual machines to get used to your next OS. 

6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

According to Microsoft it has been unsafe to use Windows 7 for several years now.  As soon as Windows 10 was released, Win7 instantly became garbage and people were using it "at their own peril"

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/631414/Windows-7-Security-Warning-Microsoft

As @PineyCreek pointed out, security updates will be available until January 14th 2020.  As soon as that patch is released, any new vulnerabilities will not be patched anymore.

I expect that people will be holding on to their exploits in the last couple of months, hoping that MS doesn't accidentally find them.  That way they'll be able to use them as soon as MS releases the final patch. 

My main PC is on Win7 still, I will not be installing Win8.1 or Win10 on it.  In 10 months I'm wiping the whole thing and from then on it'll run Linux.

My old rig is currently a testing platform for all kinds of stuff.  Different Linux distros, different desktop environments, trying native Linux alternatives to the Windows software that I normally use, etc etc.  That way I have plenty of time to find out what works best for me and make the transition as smooth as possible.  I'd suggest you do the same. 

If you don't happen to have an older PC laying around, now would be a good time to start playing with virtual machines to get used to your next OS. 

I've been running Win10 on my new system since I built it at the start of 2017.  Windows 10 was the first OS where I thought if this is where things are headed I'd rather just keep Windows for games when I need it and use Linux for everything else.  Since it's been updated, that feeling's just grown.  I think next reinstall I'll repartition and run a flavor of Linux for my main and have Win10 as a secondary...

19 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Yeah but I would still need Windows for:

Sony Vegas

Blender

Music software (Cubase, FLstudio...)

Unity

Playing videogames

I have learned those softwares so im not going to use whatever "linux equivalents" and I assume the performance emulating it sucks, so im going to be forced to use double partition i guess, and boot into the other OS when I want to use those programs. A pain in the ass.

Dude, maybe I'm misinterpreting your concerns, but who cares about how much data they collect on 10 vs 7? I'm ignorant on the subject, but I don't see it as an issue. I'm aware of how much I'm being tracked with ads and stuff and am very certain the gov could find anything out... So why hide? Unless you're doing something you don't want to be seen...

But then I'd say:

VM

VPN

Onion Browser

So maybe I'm being pretentious or not understanding your question. Sorry, take what I say with a grain of salt :)

EDIT: Hi FBI man!

Thoughts become things. What you hold in your mind, you will hold in your hand. 

Be happy for yourself.

My rig :) :

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tX4hWD

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive   
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: AOC - G2770PQU 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor 
Keyboard: Corsair - K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Corsair - Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse  
Custom: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms 

Blender shouldn't be an issue seeing as it has a native Linux version. 

The people behind Unity3D experimented with a Linux version a couple of years ago.  Not sure why they stopped it, probably lack of demand because their entire customer base is on Windows anyway. 

The others will probably require Wine indeed, or a full-on Windows install (or VM). 

Not sure if there will be a performance hit and how big it will be, the only way to find out is by trying it yourself on your own hardware.  "Assuming it sucks" is not really a proper comparison. 

On 3/2/2019 at 4:18 AM, Windows95 said:

Im not really looking forward to moving into NSA-fest Windows 10, but I still need Windows for many programs.. what can i do

Just a heads up a lot of the telemetry that is in Windows 10 was also introduced in Windows 7 so you are not going to loose much upgrading to Windows 10.