Aliexpress Thermal Pads?

lagista

Linus' video on IC Graphite Thermal Pad was 10 months ago! It had a 35W/m-k and on other forums, people were saying IC was over pricing as graphite sheets can't be that expensive. 

I saw this graphite pad on aliexpress with 133 sales and 40+ good reviews. 

It has 150~1200W/m-k! And it costs between 1-2 USD lmao. 

Has anybody tried it, and is there any real reason to not try it? 

I have a hard time believing a seller on aliexpress for $1-2 will outperform a company's (which is know for high end TIM) $10 pad by 328%-3328%

EDIT: and the reviews seem sketchy

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I can sell you some toothpaste unsolidified thermal pads with 9001W/m⋅K if you'd be interested in those?
Only problem is, I do have to charge more than China, there's a lot of squeezing them into a box R&D in these things.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

There's no reason not to try except that it's just not as good as thermal paste and I have no issue putting paste on. 

Also, internet tip: when people say something is overpriced, look at it critically. A lot of the time they're right, but they're also wrong a lot

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

2 minutes ago, Semper said:

I can sell you some toothpaste unsolidified thermal pads with 9001W/m⋅K if you'd be interested in those?
Only problem is, I do have to charge more than China, there's a lot of squeezing them into a box R&D in these things.

to be fair, there's really not much R&D, these are literally sheets of graphite paper, I can't imagine what IC has to do to innovate & improve these sheets. 

3 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

There's no reason not to try except that it's just not as good as thermal paste and I have no issue putting paste on. 

Also, internet tip: when people say something is overpriced, look at it critically. A lot of the time they're right, but they're also wrong a lot

wanna get you guys opinions on this vs paste! 

arguable this is cheaper, MAYBE reusable (puget systems says they aren't good for multiple uses) and it lasts longer, and less user error? 

Just now, lagista said:

arguable this is cheaper, MAYBE reusable (puget systems says they aren't good for multiple uses) and it lasts longer, and less user error? 

I never had the need to replace my thermal paste on anything yet... Linus showed the "expensive one" was a few degrees worse than IC diamond which is 7$. 

There's no user error unless you work for the Verge. I get that it's scary at first, but it's super easy. 

You're buying a 500-1000$ PC. You're going to skimp on 5$?

(I'm responding harshly, I know this is more curiosity than actual need or cheapness)

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, lagista said:

to be fair, there's really not much R&D, these are literally sheets of graphite paper, I can't imagine what IC has to do to innovate & improve these sheets. 

It was really more jab on the dubious claims these have attached to them. I'm not a materials engineer, but I can tell you that if they've managed to best some of the biggest names in trusted TIM by a minimum of 300%, I'll eat my hat.
They may perform perfectly adequately, but I'll willingly and readily wager that they don't hold up to their claims.

2 minutes ago, lagista said:

The way I see them is much the way that Roman explained in his interview with GN in Vegas showcasing Carbonaut. They're not performance pieces, they have a niche purpose, and it's going to be more effective to use a well established TIM.

It's reusability is likely going to depend on how well you treat it.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Just now, SwagMaestro said:

I never had the need to replace my thermal paste on anything yet... Linus showed the "expensive one" was a few degrees worse than IC diamond which is 7$. 

There's no user error unless you work for the Verge. I get that it's scary at first, but it's super easy. 

You're buying a 500-1000$ PC. You're going to skimp on 5$?

(I'm responding harshly, I know this is more curiosity than actual need or cheapness)

I understand! 

I literally bought kryonaut this morning but I can't help but fantasize about this graphite sheet since I was googling around. 

Even if it's 150W/m•k isn't it really really impressive lmao 

I think an enthusiast such as yourself should definitely buy some and share your results :)

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

3 minutes ago, lagista said:

I understand! 

I literally bought kryonaut this morning but I can't help but fantasize about this graphite sheet since I was googling around. 

Even if it's 150W/m•k isn't it really really impressive lmao 

One of the only legit looking reviews that wasn't complaining about the bad crumpled condition of the pad on arrival said his CPU temps increase by 16C. 

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

One of the only legit looking reviews that wasn't complaining about the bad crumpled condition of the pad on arrival said his CPU temps increase by 16C. 

LMAO fk rly? 

case closed then ??

shall stick to my kryonaut