Cloning Drive Questions

tomoki
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
7 minutes ago, tomoki said:

How would I clone the drive? - I know there are programs but I'm not sure which to use. 

Use Samsung's Data Migration tool. It's straightforward to use and as long as the amount of data in the source can fit in the SSD, it'll automatically sort out partition creation and all that. Otherwise the only other option I've seen passed around is Macrium Reflect.

How would I swap my main C:\ drive from the SATA SSD to the M.2 SSD? 

Once you clone the drive, verify the M.2 SSD works by booting into it. Do not access it if you've booted from the SATA SSD. If you access the M.2 SSD while booted from the SATA SSD, it may cause issues down the road. If you're satisfied the clone is good, then reformat the SATA SSD since this is the easiest way to clean it.

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple questions floating around in my head about how I could possibly clone my main drive (that has Windows running) and clone that to another drive. 

So I am using a 256GB Samsung 850 Pro and I want all the contents cloned onto a new M.2 Samsung 970 Pro 512GB. 

How would I clone the drive? - I know there are programs but I'm not sure which to use. 

I haven't bought the M.2 SSD yet. I'm just inquiring for the time being. Thanks! 

7 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Use Samsung's Data Migration tool. It's straightforward to use and as long as the amount of data in the source can fit in the SSD, it'll automatically sort out partition creation and all that. Otherwise the only other option I've seen passed around is Macrium Reflect.

Once you clone the drive, verify the M.2 SSD works by booting into it. Do not access it if you've booted from the SATA SSD. If you access the M.2 SSD while booted from the SATA SSD, it may cause issues down the road. If you're satisfied the clone is good, then reformat the SATA SSD since this is the easiest way to clean it.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Sweettttt thank you for that! I didn't think the solution would be that simple... I thought I would have to use that program called Virtual CloneDrive or whatever. All I remember is that sheep icon! :D Thanks!

can the SDMT be used for non-samsung drives, or do they need to be Samsung's own? 

I make intelligent lights do cool things