Terrible frame pacing on 960m

I recently picked up an msi ge62 apache pro from a local pawn shop for $500, configured with a core i7 5700HQ 2.7Ghz and a GTX 960m 2GB with 12GB of ram. I fired up Rainbow six siege, my main game, and it has just awful frame pacing, the game feels lurchy and gross to play. I'm getting around 45fps, which is what i expected at low settings, but it doesnt feel that smooth at all. I tried lowering my resolution to 720p and setting render scaling to 50% of that, all to avail, no boost in framerate or smoothness. I then fired up fortnite and had the exact same experience. Any clue as to how i could potentially solve this?

20 minutes ago, evilmeister13 said:

I recently picked up an msi ge62 apache pro from a local pawn shop for $500, configured with a core i7 5700HQ 2.7Ghz and a GTX 960m 2GB with 12GB of ram. I fired up Rainbow six siege, my main game, and it has just awful frame pacing, the game feels lurchy and gross to play. I'm getting around 45fps, which is what i expected at low settings, but it doesnt feel that smooth at all. I tried lowering my resolution to 720p and setting render scaling to 50% of that, all to avail, no boost in framerate or smoothness. I then fired up fortnite and had the exact same experience. Any clue as to how i could potentially solve this?

When was it working good or its always been like this.

You can try booting into safe mode and run DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" and do a clean and restart and come back in normal mode and install latest WHQL drivers then let us know.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

When was it working good or its always been like this.

You can try booting into safe mode and run DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" and do a clean and restart and come back in normal mode and install latest WHQL drivers then let us know.

I just picked up this laptop, as stated above. It seems to work fine except for the awful frame pacing I'm experiencing. I also already tried the usual DDU stuff as well, just updated to the latest drivers that were released today. Still no dice. 

Have you set prefer high performance Nvidia processor in Nvidia Control Panel

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

10 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Have you set prefer high performance Nvidia processor in Nvidia Control Panel

Yes of course, I've narrowed it down to the CPU overheating, it hits 90 degrees the moment I fire up anything intensive. Thinking of putting liquid metal on it but I'm not sure if my cooler is nickel plated or not 

37 minutes ago, evilmeister13 said:

Yes of course, I've narrowed it down to the CPU overheating, it hits 90 degrees the moment I fire up anything intensive. Thinking of putting liquid metal on it but I'm not sure if my cooler is nickel plated or not 

It is copper and aluminum.

There is a bios and ec update that increases the fan curve.

2 hours ago, markr54632 said:

It is copper and aluminum.

There is a bios and ec update that increases the fan curve.

Ah, thanks for the info, I'll update it when I get home. I'm still gonna throw some thermal grizzly on there just because, since as you say it's aluminum. Wouldn't want to kill a laptop I just bought lol

On 2/24/2019 at 12:00 AM, evilmeister13 said:

Thinking of putting liquid metal

A good non-conductive paste is good enough

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128