9700K vs 8700K (non delid) thermals

Tigrou

I searched hard but could not find any review comparing thermals of 8700K (non delid) vs 9700K (with same cooler of course).

9700K has STIM (so it should be a little cooler) but on the other hand it has slightly more agressive clocks and 8C/8T vs 6C/12T.

I would like to know which one is the coolest under stress, without OC (base clock with Turbo boost active) and without delidding.

Any particular reason you're looking to compare temperature difference as opposed to whether or not a given cooler is sufficient for the job? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Any particular reason you're looking to compare temperature difference as opposed to whether or not a given cooler is sufficient for the job? 

I have a 9700K (non OC).

It's a great CPU but it run a little too hot with air cooling for my taste (even with a huge heatsink). I was wondering if a 8700K (which has very similar performance or at least something negligible for me) would be 5-10C cooler.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3421-intel-i7-9700k-review-benchmark-vs-8700k-and-more

intel-i7-9700k-thermals.png

8086k ~= 8700k

Stock frequency 8086k (8700k) 32.7C over ambient in blender AVX 

Stock frequency 9700k 27.3C over ambient in blender AVX

Thermals on the Intel i7-9700K are on the screen now. For auto settings, keep in mind that we heavily rely upon the motherboard used as the temperature is most directly impacted by auto voltages. For the ASUS Maximus XI, those auto settings put the 9700K at 27 degrees Celsius over ambient when loaded to 100% with a Blender workload. Keep in mind that this is with MCE disabled, so it’s following the boost duration specification and sticking to a power consumption of 90W. Liquid temperature is at around 6 degrees over ambient during this test pass.

Going to about 5GHz and 1.35V, the 9700K measures an average all-core load of 54 degrees over ambient, with power consumption at 188W and liquid thermals at about 10 degrees over ambient. This places the 9700K as noticeably cooler than our 9900K sample when soldered, which measured at 64 degrees over ambient. This thermal delta isn’t for any other reason than the 9900K drawing significantly more power in this test. The two results are not directly comparable, other than to say that the 9700K’s lack of hyperthreading does make it easier to keep cool under heavier overclocks by drawing less power. This isn’t a like-for-like comparison though, given that power draw is different for each test. The 8086K is also not directly comparable in that its die is a different size, and so its dissipative properties are different than the 9700K and 9900K. That said, it is still accurate just with regard to comparing how your temperatures might vary from product-to-product for purposes of cooler selection or upgrades.

Thermally, the 9700K isn’t that hard to cool under auto conditions, and can be kept reasonably cool with our X62 280mm cooler under overclocked conditions. It does become a challenge to overclock beyond 5.1GHz and 1.35V with this cooler, as we’re entering the 90s for some individual core temperatures. Those hottest cores will restrict the rest of the cores

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Tigrou said:

I have a 9700K (non OC).

It's a great CPU but it run a little too hot with air cooling for my taste (even with a huge heatsink). I was wondering if a 8700K (which has very similar performance or at least something negligible for me) would be 5-10C cooler.

What CPU cooler are you using? Also, what temperatures?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

What CPU cooler are you using? Also, what temperatures?

HR-02 Macho Rev. B

It hit 77 degrees in Crysis 3 on extreme settings with a 1080TI. I haven't tried any 100% CPU stress test yet (like Blender). It's probably a little higher.

@Plutosaurus : thanks very helpful. I already saw that review but miss the 8086K result.

Also as long as the temps are below 90C there is no problem.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020