RTX 2080 is being held back in performance

Fluix

For some games, like rocket league I get about 250 fps. However, on Far Cry 5, Ultra settings, I get about 55-60. By what I've seen others with this card get about double what I get, at least in Far Cry 5. I have been researching quite a while and I have found that it may be a power limit, even though in MSI AB I increased the power limit to the mqx, 125. I have also read that it could be my Ryzen 7 2700x slowing down my GPU, but I dont't believe that's the issue though i'm willing to troubleshoot. I have an 850W PSU so I'm fairly certain I'm okay im terms of power

5 minutes ago, Fluix said:

For some games, like rocket league I get about 250 fps. However, on Far Cry 5, Ultra settings, I get about 55-60. By what I've seen others with this card get about double what I get, at least in Far Cry 5. I have been researching quite a while and I have found that it may be a power limit, even though in MSI AB I increased the power limit to the mqx, 125. I have also read that it could be my Ryzen 7 2700x slowing down my GPU, but I dont't believe that's the issue though i'm willing to troubleshoot. I have an 850W PSU so I'm fairly certain I'm okay im terms of power

That's fairly strange. Are you sure they had the same in game settings as you? I know I would usually get around 100 fps in farcry 5 with my 2700x so It seems strange that it would be the CPU. 

windows problems?, i get the same problem with my old gaming laptop. turns out games doesnt utilized 100% the capabillity of my old laptop because the game is not in fullscreen mode.

try this maybe?

1 hour ago, Fluix said:

I have also read that it could be my Ryzen 7 2700x slowing down my GPU

yeah you've read it right...it's all over the internet.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What's your CPU and GPU usage?

When running rocket league at 250 fps max settings, about 50%  Far Cry 5 is about 75%

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

That's fairly strange. Are you sure they had the same in game settings as you? I know I would usually get around 100 fps in farcry 5 with my 2700x so It seems strange that it would be the CPU. 

As for Far Cry 5, I followed the settings exactly, if you'd like I can send the video

What resolution

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Is there resolution upscaling in that game? This setting had me scratching my head in some games when it was auto set to 150%.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

6 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

What resolution

1920x1080

6 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Is there resolution upscaling in that game? This setting had me scratching my head in some games when it was auto set to 150%.

There is but it is off

6 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Did you check for V-Sync?

V-sync is disabled on all games when I test framerates, so yes v sync is disabled

8 hours ago, Gilgul said:

windows problems?, i get the same problem with my old gaming laptop. turns out games doesnt utilized 100% the capabillity of my old laptop because the game is not in fullscreen mode.

try this maybe?

the Games I run are all in fullscreen except Minecraft

If you run a benchmark on your system I’ll run the same one on mine when I get home and we can compare it like that. I have a ryzen 7 1800x @4ghz and a strix rtx 2060 on a 1080p 144hz freesync/g sync compatible monitor. 

If mine is faster then yours then you obviously have some kind of issue going on somewhere. I don’t have rocket league or far cry 5. I play bo4, pub g, fallout, Madden, apex and gta 5 on mine. So we can download the same benchmark and we can run it that way. It’s the only way I can think of to help you out with this by comparing similar systems on a fixed benchmark. 

Just post back in here what benchmark you want to run and I can do it about 11:15 pm eastern time tonight   

I can say say that none of the games I play give me any issues with framerate. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x