Is Ethernet and this wire the same?

Siddhant Mishra
Go to solution Solved by B-Monster,

Most modern computers have a built-in network adapter (typically located near the top right above 2 USB ports), Windows 10 should have the device installed already.

The cable that comes from your modem to your wireless router will also plug directly into that port. It's a typical RJ45 port which is usually Cat5 or Cat5e.  If you have your computer setup for DHCP (automatic IP address), it should connect automatically to the Internet through the modem.  Some ISPs, though, require PPPoE authentication, so you'd have to check with your Internet Provider to see if there are any special configurations that need to be done (most often not).

Keep in mind, though, that this isn't the most optimal way.  Your wifi router would have a firewall built into it to prevent attacks.  Windows 10 also does have a firewall built in, but it's not entirely perfect.  The firewall on the router would add an extra layer of protection from the outside world.  Most wifi routers also have multiple ethernet ports built into them so you can hardwire devices directly into them (such as a desktop PC).  You can pick up Cat5/Cat5e ethernet cables from any electronics store fairly cheap (about $0.50/foot).

Hey I might sound dumb so plz bear me..... the wire that connects to the wifi router ... if I plug that directly into my newly built PC will my PC detect it as internet connected?

2 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

Hey I might sound dumb so plz bear me..... the wire that connects to the wifi router ... if I plug that directly into my newly built PC will my PC detect it as internet connected?

if it fits and it comes from the router to the pc, it will work. (providing you have drivers for the network port on the pc)

Yes, the wire from the router to the PC is ethernet connection.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

48 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

if it fits and it comes from the router to the pc, it will work. (providing you have drivers for the network port on the pc)

Srry didn’t get. U .. aren’t drivers already there on installing the os .. windows 10?

Most modern computers have a built-in network adapter (typically located near the top right above 2 USB ports), Windows 10 should have the device installed already.

The cable that comes from your modem to your wireless router will also plug directly into that port. It's a typical RJ45 port which is usually Cat5 or Cat5e.  If you have your computer setup for DHCP (automatic IP address), it should connect automatically to the Internet through the modem.  Some ISPs, though, require PPPoE authentication, so you'd have to check with your Internet Provider to see if there are any special configurations that need to be done (most often not).

Keep in mind, though, that this isn't the most optimal way.  Your wifi router would have a firewall built into it to prevent attacks.  Windows 10 also does have a firewall built in, but it's not entirely perfect.  The firewall on the router would add an extra layer of protection from the outside world.  Most wifi routers also have multiple ethernet ports built into them so you can hardwire devices directly into them (such as a desktop PC).  You can pick up Cat5/Cat5e ethernet cables from any electronics store fairly cheap (about $0.50/foot).

2 hours ago, B-Monster said:

I’ve a spare Ethernet cable in my home so if i connect one end to router and other to PC .. ill be good to go right?