Hooking up a Standard Ceiling fan to alexa?

LamoidZombieDog

So I have a crap load of Alexa/google home linked stuff in my bedroom. I have an Alexa light switch, along with lots of other devices like a Vent fan hooked up through it as well. i want to put in a ceiling fan, but then i cant have Alexa control the fan and light part separately. i would have to get up to pull the switch on the fan, to switch between the 2, making the Alexa light switch completely useless for the most part. i saw some hundred+ dollar fans on Amazon which supposedly work with Alexa. how can i hook up a standard fan to Alexa and control the fan and light part separately?

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

I will say, I've never disassembled a fan/light combo so this may not be possible or remotely sensible to do, but I would have thought it should be relatively easy to just run separate wires for the light. I imagine its connected to the fan circuit via some kind of internal PCB/connector type arrangement. If you lose the wires from that to the light and just do wires from the light to a separate switch it should then just function as a light switch and you could continue with the fan on your current one.

Well you have a couple ways to approach this. You can get a alexa-capable relay board to control the two circuits (light, fan), but if you want speed control on the fan you may need to investigate further to see how speed/direction is controlled your particular fan. I could imagine using a servo hacked onto the drawstring as well but that's getting a bit janky.