4tb hdd split into 2 partitions and can only format or touch one

Go to solution Solved by Lady Fitzgerald,

You formatted it MBR. MBR formatting is good only to 2.2TB. You need to reformat it as GPT.

Awhile ago I went to use storemi with my m.2 and my 4tb hdd so I formatted it and for some reason split the hdd in half and I remember I stuffed it all up making it so I had to completely format all my hdds and ssds and now I decided my 500gb m.2 wasn't enough storage so went and put my 4tb in and it's split into 2 partitions and can only format the other in disk management but I can't touch the other but it shows up simple volume is greyed out as a example please help. 

26 minutes ago, K1NGROODOO said:

Awhile ago I went to use storemi with my m.2 and my 4tb hdd so I formatted it and for some reason split the hdd in half and I remember I stuffed it all up making it so I had to completely format all my hdds and ssds and now I decided my 500gb m.2 wasn't enough storage so went and put my 4tb in and it's split into 2 partitions and can only format the other in disk management but I can't touch the other but it shows up simple volume is greyed out as a example please help. 

Could you post a screenshot of your disk management screen? Something like that is extremely helpful.

You formatted it MBR. MBR formatting is good only to 2.2TB. You need to reformat it as GPT.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

is this the one i cant format? if so how do i format it to GPT?

This link explains how better than I can. 

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

i got the link thanks and this is what i am getting now

linus 2.PNG

just found out my system reserve is on the 4tb13789530_linus3.PNG.5ac2bea4ec8e444c257dea1b1493b204.PNGtb and os on the m.2 but the 4tb isnt even allocated or anything

4 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

*snip*

Just so you know, I would avoid that website, they've been spamming the forum and have been put on the spam filter, posting a link to their website will automatically block your reply until approved by a moderator ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, K1NGROODOO said:

wait what website the one i went to for the help?

The one @Lady Fitzgerald posted.

Their advices and articles might be legitimate, but I personally don't trust a website that relies on spamming forum.

Again, if their articles help, then great! But I personally avoid them.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

yeah they half helped so far it looks like i have to format my m.2 and hdd and reinstall windows but only have a m.2 plugged in apparently i had a hdd in aswell so my system went to the 4tb so i cant merge then partition it because i need to delete system off it

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Just so you know, I would avoid that website, they've been spamming the forum and have been put on the spam filter, posting a link to their website will automatically block your reply until approved by a moderator ;)

That explains the weird message I got. Sorry about that. ?

57 minutes ago, K1NGROODOO said:

yeah they half helped so far it looks like i have to format my m.2 and hdd and reinstall windows but only have a m.2 plugged in apparently i had a hdd in aswell so my system went to the 4tb so i cant merge then partition it because i need to delete system off it

When ever installing an OS, particularly Windows, it's best to disconnect all drives except the boot drive to avoid that problem.

Jeannie

yeah i didnt think much of it at the time only just learnt it recently via your help and doing some research intto some things i learnt so thanks for the help tomorrow imma delete it i have a windows 10 usb laying around somewhere amonst other stuff i have in my draws lol so i will unplug them boot off it repair windowschuck the hdd back in and come back to that link get that program merge them then hopefully convert to GPTand then hopefully not stuff storemi up again and have a super fast 4.5tb hdd haha thanks for the help everyone!!!