someone is stealing my internet

ARRIS SURFboard SBG6400 is my modem and comcast is my provider for service.  I have my cable/wifi modem on a light switch so i can turn it off when not used.  in the last few months usage has been very high and i also went over once.  so i tested it and even when not connected to my computer and left on for 9 hours i racked up 38GB even after i have changed all the wifi log in and modem log in and pass words, so what gives?  the next step was i called comcast, with no help.  do i get a new box or do i use theirs and get screwed 10 bucks a month.  or what can you guys come up with.  i do live in a big apartment building if that helps.

guest network is disabled

i only has 15mbps so even if i connected and they were data harvesting me it be pretty hard to rack 38gb in the few mins i was on or even if i was on for an hour

Have them make sure that the MAC and/or serial of your modem is the one they actually have on your account. There have been cases before where the ISP had the wrong modem on the account. 

When you changed the wifi password, did you make sure it was WPA2 and AES only, not TKIP+AES?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, brwainer said:

Have them make sure that the MAC and/or serial of your modem is the one they actually have on your account. There have been cases before where the ISP had the wrong modem on the account. 

When you changed the wifi password, did you make sure it was WPA2 and AES only, not TKIP+AES?

YES I DID on the WPA2 and AES

but i did not check on the mac

oddly it only happens when the modem is on and i tested that while not connected

guest network is dissabled

Just now, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

did you go into router settings to allow/ disable specific devices using the network?

any unauthorised device found?

nothing unusual

17 hours ago, gloege said:

ARRIS SURFboard SBG6400 is my modem and comcast is my provider for service.  I have my cable/wifi modem on a light switch so i can turn it off when not used.  in the last few months usage has been very high and i also went over once.  so i tested it and even when not connected to my computer and left on for 9 hours i racked up 38GB even after i have changed all the wifi log in and modem log in and pass words, so what gives?  the next step was i called comcast, with no help.  do i get a new box or do i use theirs and get screwed 10 bucks a month.  or what can you guys come up with.  i do live in a big apartment building if that helps.

guest network is disabled

i only has 15mbps so even if i connected and they were data harvesting me it be pretty hard to rack 38gb in the few mins i was on or even if i was on for an hour

There have been some reports that for some people the Meter doesn't work correctly. Also keep in mind that the meter is not in real time. It can take up to 24 hours for it to display your usage. Your best bet is to keep pestering Comcast or you can start contacting the Government if Comcast refuses to do anything. The FCC, FTC, State Attorney General, etc are some people you can contact. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:27 AM, Donut417 said:

There have been some reports that for some people the Meter doesn't work correctly.

any idea of why mine has been ongoing for 3 months

heck they play me like i am dumb and to see if taking the box off and putting it back on my plan will sort this out is not an option.  so sad i may have to buy a new box to find it still won't fix there end if it even is there end.  then on top of that they act like asus at times and i do not like that. 

BET IF I DOWNLOAD 100GB OF DATA ON MY CYCLE AT ZERO AND I GO OVER 500GB IN ONE DAY ON MY 15mbps PLAN THEY MIGHT THINK TWICE

all they tell me is to pay more

54 minutes ago, gloege said:

heck they play me like i am dumb and to see if taking the box off and putting it back on my plan will sort this out is not an option.  so sad i may have to buy a new box to find it still won't fix there end if it even is there end.  then on top of that they act like asus at times and i do not like that. 

BET IF I DOWNLOAD 100GB OF DATA ON MY CYCLE AT ZERO AND I GO OVER 500GB IN ONE DAY ON MY 15mbps PLAN THEY MIGHT THINK TWICE

all they tell me is to pay more

I would try disabling WIFI completely, and leave the modem turned on (but with no devices connected to it) - and see if your meter goes up.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

57 minutes ago, gloege said:

any idea of why mine has been ongoing for 3 months

As I said, there has been reported issues with the meter. There is nothing you can do. Comcast pays off the Feds and State officials. You can try to file a complaint with the FCC, FTC, Your states attorney general. But nothing will happen most in likely. Welcome to the United States of Corporate America, where you get bent over every day. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

As I said, there has been reported issues with the meter. There is nothing you can do. Comcast pays off the Feds and State officials. You can try to file a complaint with the FCC, FTC, Your states attorney general. But nothing will happen most in likely. Welcome to the United States of Corporate America, where you get bent over every day. 

I like your post, and your sig

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

never use comcast trash modems. they rip you off HARD. it costs them like $1 to buy and they charge you $10/month. get your own. 

7 hours ago, Saksham said:

never use comcast trash modems. they rip you off HARD. it costs them like $1 to buy and they charge you $10/month. get your own. 

It costs them more than $1 to buy them. I mean in the past they used off the shelf modems like the SB6141, at the time that was like an $80 modem I think. Though Im sure they get some kind of bulk discount for buying so many.  Im not disagreeing on buy one yourself, defiantly a good plan, especially if you are going to be with them for a while. 

Do you live in a part of the United States where you can switch to a different ISP?

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, SwagMaestro said:

Do you live in a part of the United States where you can switch to a different ISP?

How does that help? AT&T also has data caps. There are others as well. Unless the OP can get Spectrum which cant have caps due to Merger restrictions. But most place generally have 1 cable co and 1 phone company. So not much of a choice. 

Wg

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

How does that help? AT&T also has data caps. There are others as well. Unless the OP can get Spectrum which cant have caps due to Merger restrictions. But most place generally have 1 cable co and 1 phone company. So not much of a choice. 

Where I come from, if a company is being shitty (charging me for something I didn't use), I give them the old heave ho. 

Where I come from is not America though

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, SwagMaestro said:

Wg

Where I come from, if a company is being shitty (charging me for something I didn't use), I give them the old heave ho. 

Where I come from is not America though

Most of these companies have territories and others tend to stay out of them. There are a few companies that over build in these areas but most of the time your not that lucky. For me all I can get is Comcast. Because AT&T refuses to upgrade our area, even though we are in the Metro area. 

I would say any other wireless router would be better in both range and speed than the cable modem all in one. So given the allowance, I would buy maybe an Asus router or a TP-Link and disable the wireless in the modem. Put the modem into bridge mode.

Then using your new and improved wireless router, keep an eye on your data usage.

13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Most of these companies have territories and others tend to stay out of them. There are a few companies that over build in these areas but most of the time your not that lucky. For me all I can get is Comcast. Because AT&T refuses to upgrade our area, even though we are in the Metro area. 

at&t doesnt charge fees for using their routers... instant $10/month savings. and they give you modem/router combo so its much nicer. also, the combo they give you have gigabit ethernet built in. 

38 minutes ago, Saksham said:

at&t doesnt charge fees for using their routers... instant $10/month savings. and they give you modem/router combo so its much nicer. also, the combo they give you have gigabit ethernet built in. 

They all give you a modem/router combo and they all have Gigabit Ethernet. Hell Ive even heard the Comcast ones are nice. But in my opinion, Modem/Router combos are shit. I rather have a standard modem and what ever router I choose. On top of that AT&T has a inferior product compared to Comcast. In many areas its slower than Comcast. They cherry pick areas for Gigabit, while you can get Gigabit just about anywhere on the Comcast network. 

57 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They all give you a modem/router combo and they all have Gigabit Ethernet. Hell Ive even heard the Comcast ones are nice. But in my opinion, Modem/Router combos are shit. I rather have a standard modem and what ever router I choose. On top of that AT&T has a inferior product compared to Comcast. In many areas its slower than Comcast. They cherry pick areas for Gigabit, while you can get Gigabit just about anywhere on the Comcast network. 

im just stating another option for him if its available and if he wants to switch. not saying that he *has* to switch. 

the only thing i *am* saying is to please buy your own router. you get better range, security, speeds (link speed), reduced deadzones, more features, secturity updates (formware), MUCH MUCH more customizability. 

13 minutes ago, Saksham said:

im just stating another option for him if its available and if he wants to switch. not saying that he *has* to switch. 

the only thing i *am* saying is to please buy your own router. you get better range, security, speeds (link speed), reduced deadzones, more features, secturity updates (formware), MUCH MUCH more customizability. 

The OP is complaining about Caps. Last I knew AT&T also had caps. Hell on aDSL I think its lower than the 1TB Comcast gives. So not really a difference, going from one provider with Caps and overages to another with caps and overages. 

21 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The OP is complaining about Caps. Last I knew AT&T also had caps. Hell on aDSL I think its lower than the 1TB Comcast gives. So not really a difference, going from one provider with Caps and overages to another with caps and overages. 

if you can get WoW internet, they advertise no caps. they have lots of great things/features, but I get bundle discount with att so i stick with att.