Steam Greenlight to be Shutdown and Exclusives for Steam OS

BellamyCraft

Not able to look at the link for full details atm, but I was pretty sure Gabe had officially said they weren't planning on making any games exclusive to SteamOS?

Half life 5 confirmed it'll be so epic we skipped 3 and 4

Exclusives you say well that can only mean... Half Life 3,Portal 3,Team Fortress 3 probably not but its a reason for me to stick Steam OS on one of my hard drives 

If this happens I will be very disappointed in our Lord Gaben and pray for a reason why he ignores the OS that made steam what it is today.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I really hope this is not true. I hate when companies tries force customers to use certain things. YouTube forcing G+, Microsoft forcing Metro and so on.

If the product is good then it should not have to artificially limit the competition, or force it by bundling it with a more popular product.

No killer exclusive app for steamOS said newell. Probably at a later stage, there will be.

That seems hard to do. I hope they leave they leave green light as it is.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Doug Lombardi, Valve's longtime public relations guru, says that simply wouldn't be the company's style. "It's against our philosophy to put a game in jail and say it only works on Steam Machines," he told The Verge in an interview at the company's headquarters. "It works best on Steam Machines, perhaps ... but to get to exclusives or anything else just wouldn't be our style," he says.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2013/11/4/5065294/valve-says-it-wouldnt-make-half-life-3-a-steamos-exclusive

I'm still hopeful they wouldn't do something like this.

Exclusives you say well that can only mean... Half Life 3,Portal 3,Team Fortress 3 probably not but its a reason for me to stick Steam OS on one of my hard drives 

I can't imagine Valve basically alienating the demographic (PC users specifically windows) that they made and make their fortune off of in the first place.

However I can see them not releasing HL3 on other consoles in order to help brutally murder them.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I was just reading conversation on Reddit on motor sports with Gabe.

In response to one of the questions on steamOS Gabe actually said this

"We're trying to make it as open as possible. If EA wants to put Origin on it, that would be fine, etc..."

http://www.reddit.com/user/GabeNewellBellevue

Not able to look at the link for full details atm, but I was pretty sure Gabe had officially said they weren't planning on making any games exclusive to SteamOS?

The quote in the article is saying that Valve will not make SteamOS exclusives. But they will not force the same on others. They mentioned natural exclusives. I'm thinking more along the lines of indie games that will only want to develop for SteamOS/Linux at the start.

So pretty much their policy seems to be, make your game for whatever system you want and naturally exclusives to SteamOS/Linux will come.

Gabe Newell says he wants to make the Greenlight service "go away," and hints at future exclusive titles for the Steam Machine.

Valve will not make steamos exclusives, they have already said so.

Those tweets could mean anything from OS features to other devs releasing exclusives etc... Although obviously at this point no AAA dev is going to make linux exclusives.

The quote in the article is saying that Valve will not make SteamOS exclusives. But they will not force the same on others. They mentioned natural exclusives. I'm thinking more along the lines of indie games that will only want to develop for SteamOS/Linux at the start.

So pretty much their policy seems to be, make your game for whatever system you want and naturally exclusives to SteamOS/Linux will come.

Ah, good point. I guess if that's something a dev really wants to do, that's fine with me, but they should probably expect to earn less revenue by not also being on Windows.

does exclusives mean the linux steamOs or the pc steam client?

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Ah, good point. I guess if that's something a dev really wants to do, that's fine with me, but they should probably expect to earn less revenue by not also being on Windows.

Yep, for that reason nobody is going to release big budget games as linux exclusive anytime soon as you will not break even.

But some indie guys might... there is exclusive linux software afterall ..

I do not find the exclusives for Steam OS as we will all most likely be using it eventually for our gaming. W7 for dual booting to. But I actually like the Greenlight program, it could be improved however it has given us many games that would have never had come out otherwise.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Gabe wants Greenlight to "go away."  Maybe what he means by this is he wants it to be even easier to get your game on steam?

EDIT: I've been informed that this has already been posted, despite me checking as always. Although the other thread was just a link and not much more, maybe merge the threads please? :)

Ok, so the title may be a little 'link bait-y', but I was going from titles other sources, the exact quote is: "Our goal is to make Greenlight go away".

Original Article:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-15-valve-looking-to-drop-greenlight

Newell wants devs to have more control of their content as Steam hits 75 million active users

138981833198.jpg

Valve is looking to halt its Steam Greenlight process, Gabe Newell revealed today during in an introductory address at Steam Dev Days. Attendees at the developer-only event have been tweeting out bits of news, with Hot Blooded Games CFO Dave Oshry among those sharing updates with the outside world.

"Our goal is to make Greenlight go away," Oshry quoted Newell as saying. "Not because it's not useful, but because we're evolving."

Oshry said the Valve head had been talking about how he wanted to give developers more control over Steam and how they use it to promote their games. The Greenlight process lets developers post pages for their games on Steam and lets the community give input on whether or not they look like something worth purchasing.

While details about the how and why of Greenlight's eventual disappearance aren't known yet, they've already been speculated upon. Earlier this week, PC Gamer reported on a translated GameKings.tv interview with Vlambeer's Rami Ismail in which the Ridiculous Fishing developer guessed that Valve would soon be killing Greenlight.

"I'm thinking that because they've been clearing the queue at such a rapid rate," Ismail said. "They've been clearing 100 games every month. . .You don't do that because there are 100 good games on Greenlight every month. You do that because you want to get rid of everything that isn't greenlit before you kill it, so you don't upset developers."

Ismail then guessed that Valve would replace the program by letting any developer put their game up on Steam and relying on a peer-to-peer recommendation system to solve the issue of content discoverability.

Coinciding with the beginning of Steam Dev Days, Valve also announced that its digital storefront had passed a new milestone with 75 million active users, a 15 percent jump from the 65 million total announced in October. The company also released a geographic breakdown of its sales, with North America and Western Europe accounting for most of its business (41 percent and 40 percent, respectively), but noting that Russia and Brazil have shown tremendous growth in the last year (125 percent and 75 percent, respectively).

Reddit Link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1vdizd/valve_wants_to_kill_greenlight/

Valves plan is to allow developers to setup their own store front, giving them more control over their own content, with new discovery systems (it now being peer to peer being put in place).

I think this is a good move and certainly one that will benefit in the long run, more control to dev's and allowing popular games, which the community talk about, to be pushed to the top.

What are your opinions? :)

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

REALLY! I even searched Google for "Valve greenlight linustechtips" as i always do before posting ANYTHING! D:

I always check, and it returned nothing. So i proceeded to make this.

REALLY! I even searched Google for "Valve greenlight linustechtips" as i always do before posting ANYTHING! D:

I always check, and it returned nothing. So i proceeded to make this.

Yeah searches sometimes shows up with nothing, only reason I knew one already existed was because I saw the thread before. Maybe a mod can merge the threads together.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Yeah searches sometimes shows up with nothing, only reason I knew one already existed was because I saw the thread before. Maybe a mod can merge the threads together.

Hopefully, that other thread was really uninformed. These things are meant to be about discussion! :)