Upgrade to Ryzen 5 2600 or Wait for 3600

Go to solution Solved by ch3w2oy,

Either way you decide to go, wait! There will be better processors soon and if they're not within budget, the 2600 will probably be even cheaper. Your current CPU will hold you over  to at least find out. 

I'm thinking about upgrading my rig from its Ryzen 5 1400 to a Ryzen 5 2600, but, I don't know if I should wait until Q2 for the new 3rd gen Ryzen SKUs to hit the shelves. I'm going to be mainly gaming with it, with a RX 580 8GB. Furthermore, would it be better to keep the R5 1400 and upgrade to the GTX 1660 when it's released? Thank you in advance.

I would probably just wait, the 2600 is definitely a worthy upgrade and it's a good price. 

What kind of games are you playing? 

Are you experiencing more of a CPU or GPU bottleneck? 

Also are you oc'ed?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

I would say wait to upgrade and I wouldn't buy a more expensive graphics card until you get a better cpu.  

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would say wait to upgrade and I wouldn't buy a more expensive graphics card until you get a better cpu.  

There are plenty of games that would benefit from more GPU than that and would still run fine on a Ryzen 5 1400.  It's not a 6 year old CPU or anything, and it all depends on how CPU-heavy (or Ryzen unfriendly) a game is.

6 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

I would probably just wait, the 2600 is definitely a worthy upgrade and it's a good price. 

What kind of games are you playing? 

Are you experiencing more of a CPU or GPU bottleneck? 

Also are you oc'ed?

I play a lot of GTA Online, Far Cry 5, and Overwatch. I think I'm CPU Bottlenecked because I should be able to crank 60 FPS in GTA and Far Cry @ 1080p with my 580 but I'm averaging about 45-55

Just wait. I imagine you can just buy the lowest R3 3400 and get 2 more cores than what you have right now, for the same price point.

I wanna believe the rumors are true, i just can't imagine a $100 cpu will have 6 cores.

It's too good to be true.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Wait for sure. The upcoming 3000 series is looking quite impressive so far based on the leaks.

2 minutes ago, tiopaco said:

I play a lot of GTA Online, Far Cry 5, and Overwatch. I think I'm CPU Bottlenecked because I should be able to crank 60 FPS in GTA and Far Cry @ 1080p with my 580 but I'm averaging about 45-55

That's normal if you crank it up to high / ultra.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, LogicWeasel said:

There are plenty of games that would benefit from more GPU than that and would still run fine on a Ryzen 5 1400.  It's not a 6 year old CPU or anything, and it all depends on how CPU-heavy (or Ryzen unfriendly) a game is.

There are 2 reasons why I wouldn't. In order to get a gpu that is worth upgrading to it will have to have 1070ti performance otherwise it doesn't warrant the money spent. If you are buying a gpu that has 1070ti performance then it will most certainly bottleneck and not be of as much value. I have done many upgrades over the years and the ones I regreted the most were the ones where I spent money on a new gpu but my cpu held it back in many games. 

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Either way, an upgrade would still increase my performance right?

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Uhh thats probably a bottleneck. Hear me out, on my 4790k OC'd to 4.7Ghz I can drop below 60fps in a few areas of the city and its entirely the CPU's fault. My Fury drops to like 80% usage and the i7 is at 95% usage maxed out on 4 cores and almost on the other 4 threads. An r5 1400 isn't quite as good as my i7, more like a 2600k at the same clocks. I'm willing to bet its a bottleneck for his 580. Those quad core ryzen 1000 chips arent anything special sadly.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

There are 2 reasons why I wouldn't. In order to get a gpu that is worth upgrading to it will have to have 1070ti performance otherwise it doesn't warrant the money spent. If you are buying a gpu that has 1070ti performance then it will most certainly bottleneck and not be of as much value. I have done many upgrades over the years and the ones I regreted the most were the ones where I spent money on a new gpu but my cpu held it back in many games.  

Yeah, I see what you mean. As it is, I think I'm slightly bottlenecked at the moment, and a GPU upgrade would probably make it worse

You'll get a boost from 2600 out of the better clock speed, but i'm guessing a 3600 will be better.

So just wait for now.

Either way you decide to go, wait! There will be better processors soon and if they're not within budget, the 2600 will probably be even cheaper. Your current CPU will hold you over  to at least find out. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build