Power Supply causing my hard drive PCB to fail?

Leviathan7895

So recently, the PCB on my seagate green drive failed. I took it off and there was some small parts on the circuitry(I'm not sure what they're called) that had burned up near the power delivery. I ordered a replacement one and the same thing happened to the new one. I was curious if my power supply(a Lepa G1000) could be at fault, overloading the circuits in someway.  I know the wattage of my PSU is more than i need but i got from a friend who never used for cheap. Thanks for your time and consideration! 

post-3369-0-14395900-1389829816.jpg

This is the original PCB

post-3369-0-33237800-1389829876.jpg

New PCB with the same circuit burned

post-3369-0-83953800-1389829924.jpg

Comparison of the 2 

I had the same thing happen to an older Seagate drive. I was using the Apevia PSU that came with my old mATX cube case. I never figured out what cause it, bent pins on the HDD, or the PSU, but I ended up cutting off the SATA power connector and scrapped the drive.

What does the power connector on the PSU look like? Did it burn at all? If nothing burned on either connector, I'm just guessing the drive was bad.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I had the same thing happen to an older Seagate drive. I was using the Apevia PSU that came with my old mATX cube case. I never figured out what cause it, bent pins on the HDD, or the PSU, but I ended up cutting off the SATA power connector and scrapped the drive.

What does the power connector on the PSU look like? Did it burn at all? If nothing burned on either connector, I'm just guessing the drive was bad.

Two drives in a row with the same issue is unlikely. It's almost definitely your PSU, get a new one. Depending on your computer, you should be fine with a 500 or 600w PSU from a known brand.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Two drives in a row with the same issue is unlikely. It's almost definitely your PSU, get a new one. Depending on your computer, you should be fine with a 500 or 600w PSU from a known brand.

That's what i was thinking. But my SSD is doing just fine and whenever i plugged my laptop's hard drive in the same connector it worked with no problems(from what i could tell)

By connector do you mean like the SATA power,or do you mean something else? With burning all i'm aware of are the circuitry bits. And i guess the drive could be bad, although it worked flawlessly for around 9-10 Months  

Try to check if there is any short in the PSU connector or switched power cables

By PSU connector do you mean the SATA power? And as far as i know there isn't any switched power cables...perhaps you could enlighten me on what you mean? 

You do realize that I'm not the OP, right? I replied to him. Separate occurrence, no one had two drives in a row fail.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

By PSU connector do you mean the SATA power? And as far as i know there isn't any switched power cables...perhaps you could enlighten me on what you mean? 

I mean the SATA connector if it has any bent pins that may cause a short or if by any chance the wires were connected incorrectly to the connector

I mean the SATA connector if it has any bent pins that may cause a short or if by any chance the wires were connected incorrectly to the connector

As far as I know there aren't any. It powers my laptop hard drive just fine