The Education System Is Broken

I'm getting a great education what r u on about. 

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I'm getting a great education what r u on about. 

all people learn differently lad, happy for you though :)

(Insert edgy teen quote here)

Through my entire life i will be able to report in sick for work when i get sick. except in this education system where you cant do that. meaning you need to arrive at campus sick, then go to nurse to get a report that says you can go. 

or you must go to the doctors office, getting people sick there as well as preoccupying them with work that is not essential to anyones wellbeing. 

combine this with a recently lowered bar for maximum allowed time not being in class without a permit to do so means more people have been getting infected and doctors are getting even more overworked on something they shouldnt be involved in and never has been untill 2017. 

while attendance has gone "up". overall quality of life has gone down and stress gone up because people need to be constantly eyeballing their attendance for it to not go above 10%. which in some courses are like 2 classes...........(per half year). 

and that is just scratching the surface of other thing about the now outdated education system. like overall the educationsystem (my) is good and among the top in the world. but from talking to people active in attempting to shape the system to more modern metrics and to stop the sillyness like the first thing i mentioned, it seems that getting any word through to the administration is frustrating at best and impossible at worst. while the administration asks for comments on cases they want to push through , they appear unwilling to listen and just wants to push through something that seemingly allready has been decided upon. 

like other than that its pretty good. 

25 minutes ago, The Friendly Elite said:

Just go to your lectures and do the work its not hard, if you need help talk to your tutor or lecturer. Remember you should be expected to do around 2 hours of study a day per paper at the minimum, that would be to get a c.  When you study in the lead up to an exam, (as opposed to regular study), you should first try the past exam, then read through your weak points you have noticed from your try on the exam, then repeat a different past exam. When I've finished that I usually go through the main points the lecturer wants me to know. 

When you are just doing regular study during the day, I usually pre-read through the day's lectures and make sure I know the content (Especially do the readings!), then after the lecture write out my notes taken in the lecture. You should never have nothing to do, and this is on top of the assignments etc. 

University isn't about learning as it is much about passing the exam, and it is crucial to have a strategy for them. If you need help, its always there. Learning is all about repetition and practice. Doing questions in past exams is the best thing you can do if you are feeling behind, because its what they are going to mark you on. 

42 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Through my entire life i will be able to report in sick for work when i get sick. except in this education system where you cant do that. meaning you need to arrive at campus sick, then go to nurse to get a report that says you can go. 

or you must go to the doctors office, getting people sick there as well as preoccupying them with work that is not essential to anyones wellbeing. 

I hate this so much like if someone comes into the library coughing and all snotty its a one-way ticket for me to sick street. They need to go home, get well and not put other people at risk. 

2 hours ago, The Friendly Elite said:

Wait, if you admit to other people being able to learn within the educational system, then could it be you that's broke? 

Isn't it kinda dishonest to just to go "I'm not learning shit while others excel. Must be the school"?

Also, it would be helpful for you to specifiy which system you're talking about. Higher education is different from public education, for example. And that's not to mention the differences there are between countries, states and regions. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

I hate this so much like if someone comes into the library coughing and all snotty its a one-way ticket for me to sick street. They need to go home, get well and not put other people at risk. 

people who skip school arent the type of people who arent the people to work anyway. this only encourages the abuse when people eventually can call in sick. As someone who has a doctor as a sibling he has said from personal experience when people call in and they dont have time, just tell them to come in after they are good again,

then just hands out note when they come back in for it. and this is common practice. 

the amount of times there has just been a outbreak and like 8 people have been gone (in a group of 30) i cant count on a single hand. 

Administration: our numbers look good

Students: *sick but at home

Administration: lets make em better by changing our statistics

Students: *Sick but in class making people sick

14 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Wait, if you admit to other people being able to learn within the educational system, then could it be you that's broke

Woah, check your privelege man!

1 hour ago, The Friendly Elite said:

A place to vent about the very broken Education system

Which one?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

This is quite an old series now (2013) but its basically a typical school day in the UK :P...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

The only thing good about public schools nowadays is the fine arts and school closings.

the sky is up

4 hours ago, Volbet said:

Wait, if you admit to other people being able to learn within the educational system, then could it be you that's broke? 

Isn't it kinda dishonest to just to go "I'm not learning shit while others excel. Must be the school"?

Also, it would be helpful for you to specifiy which system you're talking about. Higher education is different from public education, for example. And that's not to mention the differences there are between countries, states and regions. 

Nice point, however what i meant was that the school is not reconizing that people learn diffrently. They teach everyone the same way and expect everyone to understand it.

(Insert edgy teen quote here)

@GoldenLag I have literally no idea what on earth you are talking about. Which country would be a good starter and what type of education might also be useful because none of the points you made appear to be 'a thing' where I study (TU Delft, the Netherlands). I can be absent as much as I like, if I want to I could just show up for tests and succeed by doing all the work at home. 

Also I don't know about all getting sick because people go to school sick, it's only like the first week or so where everyone has a cold and after that everybody seems to kinda resist most of the bad stuff and the only sickening thing is the amount of work you still need to do for the next day when you get home at 22.00 while being aware that you need to wake at 7 for the train because living on your own is expensive as all hell here while public transport is free for students...

while (alive == true) { breathe(); }

7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

University isn't about learning as much as it is about passing the exam-

Wait, didn't you say the education system is fine?

That single statement right there is the most loaded, rage-inducing, screaming indictment one could possibly apply to an education system. It's like saying "this car is more about burning oil than it is about moving," or "this pencil is more about stabbing people than it is about writing," or "this food is more for attracting flies than it is for eating."

A good education provides you with knowledge, understanding, and experience. Teaching to the test is just setting up mindless hoops for people to jump through in search of bigger numbers and fancy pieces of paper.

That's why the College Board pisses me off, they turn 'advanced' courses into nothing but preparation for a 90-minute test. My high-school Calc 2 teacher actually wasn't even allowed to call his class AP Calc, because he taught students more than just what's on the AP guide.

That being said, our educational system isn't that bad. It's set up to be an underdeveloped meat-grinder, but there are enough wonderful teachers and professors floating around to make it a great experience.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

7 hours ago, Kleine IJsbeer said:

Also I don't know about all getting sick because people go to school sick, it's only like the first week or so where everyone has a cold and after that everybody seems to kinda resist most of the bad stuff

You missed the entire point i made. I cant call in sick without getting documentation. Its essentially the same as skipping school for no good reason. 

And when you get a job, you can call in sick at any point. All we are doing is putting extra work on doctors and more peopøe are getting sick.

7 hours ago, Kleine IJsbeer said:

Which country would be a good starter and what type of education might also be useful because none of the points you made appear to be 'a thing' where I study

I mean, im not talking about your education system. 

Did you have a change in 2016/2017 where you suddenly couldnt call in sick anymore?

Whilst every education system has its flaws and benefits, the one common denominator across nearly all countries (especially first world) is that those who study hard, work hard and keep their eye on the prize while not blaming others have a significantly higher success rate than those who don't.  

I suggest when debating education systems that instead of trying to debate the validity of an entire system, concentrate only on debating the merits of each component.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Just go to your lectures and do the work its not hard, if you need help talk to your tutor or lecturer. Remember you should be expected to do around 2 hours of study a day per paper at the minimum, that would be to get a c.  When you study in the lead up to an exam, (as opposed to regular study), you should first try the past exam, then read through your weak points you have noticed from your try on the exam, then repeat a different past exam. When I've finished that I usually go through the main points the lecturer wants me to know. 

2 hours a day at uni!?

The classes I took suggested 40 hours a week, which is 8 hours a day Monday to Friday.

@GoldenLag

What country and grade are you in?

I'm from Sweden and since high school I've been allowed to call in sick if I wanted. I only needed a doctor's note for longer leaves (I think it was something like 7 days absence) but it's the same when you have a job.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

@GoldenLag

What country and grade are you in?

I'm from Sweden and since high school I've been allowed to call in sick if I wanted. I only needed a doctor's note for longer leaves (I think it was something like 7 days absence) but it's the same when you have a job.

Welcome to the recent changes in the Norwegian Education system that looks slightly better on metrics, but just made everything worse for everyone.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Welcome to the recent changes in the Norwegian Education system that looks slightly better on metrics, but just made everything worse for everyone.

You seem very annoyed by this, but I don't see the problem. Hell, I don't even know what you're on about.

Which grade are you in? 

And I seriously doubt that you must go to the campus, go to the nurse, get checked and then get to leave if you're only sick for like a day. If it's a longer illness then I understand that you need some fit note or proof of sickness, but the same goes for work as well.

Also, 10% absence then it's not school that's the problem. You must have a really unhealthy lifestyle that leads to you being sick all the time. If you have 10% absence at work (sick once every 2 weeks) then your boss will most likely want to have a word with you too.

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Also, 10% absence then it's not school that's the problem. You must have a really unhealthy lifestyle that leads to you being sick all the time. If you have 10% absence at work (sick once every 2 weeks) then your boss will most likely want to have a word with you too.

10% absense in a curriculum. Meaning if i miss 2 days i dont get a grade in said curriculum. If it was total time there would be no issue. But its not. At work would be the equivelent of being sick 2-4 specific days of the week due to certain curriculums. 

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Which grade are you in? 

I believe its implemented across the board. For reference im second year VGS.

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And I seriously doubt that you must go to the campus, go to the nurse, get checked and then get to leave if you're only sick for like a day

Its exactly like that. I can by no means call myself in sick. I need to get a doctors note and deliver in once im at school again or go to school and get the nurse to check me out. 

23 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If it's a longer illness then I understand that you need some fit note or proof of sickness, but the same goes for work as well.

I cant call in for short term sickness. Longer term get offcourse registered. Im talking about everything from 1 day to 3 days sickness

Im not too fussed about the 10% thing. Its mostly the ability to call in sick. Which just hurts everyone, even those who arent sick, because they can get sick by people who couldnt call in sick

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Did you have a change in 2016/2017 where you suddenly couldnt call in sick anymore?

Nope, that's why I didn't understand :) Didn't really have any reference as to what was going on and only saw someone complaining about calling in sick which I didn't have issues with as you don't need to notify anyone when you're sick at uni here.

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

You missed the entire point i made. I cant call in sick without getting documentation. Its essentially the same as skipping school for no good reason. 

And when you get a job, you can call in sick at any point. All we are doing is putting extra work on doctors and more peopøe are getting sick.

In fact, yes, I probably missed the point :) 

With a job you can in theory call in sick at any point but don't think your employer will be happy if you do so very often. And before I went to uni you could call in sick before the lessons started and you needed to get a signature (under a statement that you were sick) from your parents brought to them within a week after returning and everything was fine. The doctor doesn't get involved so long as you don't go there and you're not sick for a long time.

while (alive == true) { breathe(); }

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

2 hours a day at uni!?

The classes I took suggested 40 hours a week, which is 8 hours a day Monday to Friday.

You misread, 2 hours per paper per day, assuming you do 3-4 papers is 6-8 hours a day.

And then there are those of us who have been educated by the school of hard knocks...

Pain, defeat and failure are *excellent* teachers.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.