Which flagship should I buy ?

saddly

Hi
I've been thinking about changing my phone for a while, my current phone is Huawei P9.
I always wanted to try Apple phones but prices for Xs are rly high, Note 9 seems like a really good overall phone (stylus looks like a great way to take notes).
Any recommendations ?
If you think buying flagships is not a good idea speak ur mind, I might change mine.
Thanks for help

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

why not something like a mi8?

How's camera on mi8 ?
I really liked camera on my P9 so I want it to be somewhat good.

Just now, saddly said:

How's camera on mi8 ?
I really liked camera on my P9 so I want it to be somewhat good.

it had a dxomark score of 105

with the new update you can use night mode, 960 fps slowmotion, it has ai assisting and optical stabalisation too

it's the same sensor as the pocophone f1 (SONY IMX363)

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it had a dxomark score of 105

with the new update you can use night mode, 960 fps slowmotion, it has ai assisting and optical stabalisation too

it's the same sensor as the pocophone f1 (SONY IMX363)

Seems really good, but it lacks audio jack :/
Which I use on a daily basis.

1 minute ago, saddly said:

Seems really good, but it lacks audio jack :/
Which I use on a daily basis.

it has a dongle in the box, but it's a bit fragile

you could get the pocophone f1 then, or a lg g7 thinq if you have high end headphones

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it has a dongle in the box, but it's a bit fragile

you could get the pocophone f1 then, or a lg g7 thinq if you have high end headphones

How about Apple ? Is it worth to buy older iPhone 7 ? or 8 ?

1 minute ago, saddly said:

In my opinion no, but I'm not a apple guy in general

to compare my mi8 in benchmarks against a iphone x:

UL 3dmark slingshot: 4554 vs 3980

geekbench 2410/9029 vs 4213/10150

the mi8 costed me half the price

most snapdragon 845 chips are about the same

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Thanks for help :)
Mby some Apple guy will show up, cause I'd like to hear opinions from both sides.

Just now, saddly said:

Thanks for help :)
Mby some Apple guy will show up, cause I'd like to hear opinions from both sides.

yeah... probably not here, this forum is full of pro-android/pro-windows/pro-linux users, only a couple like apple devices around here

also, not to start a flamewar, but watch out what's real and what's not (at both sides)

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... probably not here, this forum is full of pro-android/pro-windows/pro-linux users, only a couple like apple devices around here

also, not to start a flamewar, but watch out what's real and what's not (at both sides)

Yeah I imagine , I was pro-linux and android guy up until this point.

Just now, saddly said:

Yeah I imagine , I was pro-linux and android guy up until this point.

ahm a linux user... well, I will tag a couple to hear it from their sides...

@firelighter487 @DrMacintosh you got some free time to completly disagree with me?

Get a XR

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 hours ago, saddly said:

Hi
I've been thinking about changing my phone for a while, my current phone is Huawei P9.
I always wanted to try Apple phones but prices for Xs are rly high, Note 9 seems like a really good overall phone (stylus looks like a great way to take notes).
Any recommendations ?
If you think buying flagships is not a good idea speak ur mind, I might change mine.
Thanks for help

I'd consider an iPhone XR.  It's the majority of the iPhone XS experience, just without the dual rear cameras, OLED and 3D Touch.  You still get performance better than virtually any Android phone, a rich display and an excellent camera, but you're paying considerably less.  And hey, you can get it in sports car red if you like.

I pick iPhones for a few reasons.  I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem already, so it works extremely well, but even if I wasn't I'd still look at them.  The interface is overall faster and more fluid than on most Android phones.  Camera quality might not always be as good as the best Android phones, but it's consistently strong in a way most competitors aren't.  Developers tend to release apps for iOS first (when it's not a concurrent launch, at least).  The accessory ecosystem is stronger.  And importantly, you actually get a healthy OS update policy.

It's still fascinating to me that Android's typical update policy is so... broken.  You get two years of major OS updates if you're lucky, and it's not uncommon to wait months to get OS updates if you aren't using a Pixel phone.  And some companies actually skip security updates!  On iOS, you not only get 4-5 years of OS updates, you can install those updates right away... basically, the way it should always be for every phone.

This isn't to say Android is lousy (Google Play Services help compensate for the poor update policy), or that Apple has a Midas touch.  It certainly doesn't.  Hell, I have an Android phone hanging around that I like in some respects.  But I think it's worth trying an iPhone to see what you're missing.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'd consider an iPhone XR.  It's the majority of the iPhone XS experience, just without the dual rear cameras, OLED and 3D Touch.  You still get performance better than virtually any Android phone, a rich display and an excellent camera, but you're paying considerably less.  And hey, you can get it in sports car red if you like.

I pick iPhones for a few reasons.  I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem already, so it works extremely well, but even if I wasn't I'd still look at them.  The interface is overall faster and more fluid than on most Android phones.  Camera quality might not always be as good as the best Android phones, but it's consistently strong in a way most competitors aren't.  Developers tend to release apps for iOS first (when it's not a concurrent launch, at least).  The accessory ecosystem is stronger.  And importantly, you actually get a healthy OS update policy.

It's still fascinating to me that Android's typical update policy is so... broken.  You get two years of major OS updates if you're lucky, and it's not uncommon to wait months to get OS updates if you aren't using a Pixel phone.  And some companies actually skip security updates!  On iOS, you not only get 4-5 years of OS updates, you can install those updates right away... basically, the way it should always be for every phone.

This isn't to say Android is lousy (Google Play Services help compensate for the poor update policy), or that Apple has a Midas touch.  It certainly doesn't.  Hell, I have an Android phone hanging around that I like in some respects.  But I think it's worth trying an iPhone to see what you're missing.

Wow... Thanks for such big response, how does Xr compare to 8 ?
edit.
Also 6.1' seems big, my P9 is 5.2' and i find it hard sometimes to operate with one hand.

11 hours ago, saddly said:

iPhone 6s was the last with a headphone Jack. If that's fine, a Mi 8 is also fine.

And no, i my personal opionion: I would not spend a single dollar for ANY iPhone outside the X-Family.

This outdated 2010 Design with those bezels would just tilt me too much. The phone is huge, the display is small. You're much better off with a Mi 8, which will be cheaper than even a iPhone 7 Plus.

Also, battery life on the non-Plus iphones is garbage. ^^

3 hours ago, saddly said:

edit.
Also 6.1' seems big, my P9 is 5.2' and i find it hard sometimes to operate with one hand.

Display diagonale says NOTHING about the phone size.

Because there are 2 major differences:

- Bezel size

- Display format. (a 18:9 6" Screen is a similar size as a 16:9 5,5" screen.

Check this: http://j.mp/2WqxSbP

Just a tag bigger, but display seems much bigger (number in specs), because the bezels are MUCH smaller.

An 5,5" iPhone 8 Plus is even bigger than the 6,1" iPhone Xr.

11 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Which is basicly the by Far least intersting comparison you could possibly make.

These numbers are nothing else but a few random numbers without ANY meaning behind them.

Why? They use entirely different OS, so benchmark comparisons are useless. because iPhones will completely SMACK the living shit out of every android phone, if i may make it sound this different.

It is NO indicator about the usage performance.

The difference between them are: iPhones use iOS, everything else uses Android.

Do you prefer Android, or do you prefer iOS? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

It doesn't matter, if Mi 8 did cost half the Price. It runs Android, and not iOS --> iPhones can NOT be replaced by Android phones, because it's a different OS.

Anyone, who actually prefers iOS and wants that, doesn't care about Android. it's the wrong OS.

If someone wants a sportscar, it doesn't matter for how much you can buy a Volkswagen Golf. it's the wrong Car. Even if it does drive you from A to B like every other will.

10 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

partly what you're saying is just bullshit

it's about screen size and everything, but tell me. how can i NOT compare two arm based chips against each other? linux and windows results are comparable, why can't ios and android results be? and it isn't weird that iphones can beat snapdragons with double the silicon used...

I have just described why you can't compare them.  Which part of my Post did you not understand? I will gladly explain.

Edit: Do you really not understand, why 2 Benchmark numbers are not the main difference between an iPhone, and an Android phone?

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

I have just described why you can't compare them.  Which part of my Post did you not understand? I will gladly explain.

Edit: Do you really not understand, why 2 Benchmark numbers are not the main difference between an iPhone, and an Android phone?

i got that part. i just don't see why i can't compare them performance wise

Because they use different Operating Systems (which are differently "optimized"). they work differently "under the hood", and use ressources differently.

What "feelable" Performance you get out of an iOS with X Points is different than what you get from an Android with similar Benchmark points. Even more, because it depends on what exactly you use ^^

Gaming for example, no Android comes close to what a new iPhone can do.

Normal usage? A Oneplus 6t with a SD 845 isn't slower than an iPhone Xs with A12 chip, despite the A12 having a lot more "benchmark points".

That's why i wouldn't compare an iphone with an Android phone only based on 2 Numbers, but more like with the actuall differences in usability/features etc they provide.

But nevermind that, there are also differences with the Apps available, and how things work with each other (if you have other Apple devices like an iPad, Macbook etc). Handoff, and Airdrop can be an argument.

But i can absolutely agree with one thing: As long someone doesn't prefer iOS big time, Android is the way to go, because you get way more smartphone for your Money.

Especially if you see, how the iPhone prices went through the roof... No wonder, the iPhone Xr sells way better than Xs and Xs Max.

3 hours ago, saddly said:

edit.

The XR is definitely more powerful than the 8.  Bigger screen with face recognition instead of a fingerprint reader, of course, but it also has a faster processor, better cameras, improved audio playback and recording... even if the screen isn't a big deal, it can add up.  The 8 is still a solid phone, but it represents an end where the iPhone XR is part of a new generation.

On size: keep in mind that changes in technology have changed what you can fit into a given space.  The P9 has fairly large chins where the iPhone XR effectively has none.  I just checked a size comparison tool and the XR is only slightly taller and wider than the P9 despite having a much larger display.  You'll still want a case with a decent grip (like Apple's own clear case), but if you don't mind your P9's size too much, you'll be fine here.