Upgrading from a 6700K to ? - 2700X or 9700K

Hey everyone!

I'm basically about to upgrade to a new platform from my i7-6700K and the question is, whether I should go for a Ryzen 7 2700, 2700X or a 9700K.

Current prices here in Germany:

Ryzen 7 2700 - 257,-€

Ryzen 7 2700X - 314,-€

Intel i7 9700K - 414,-€

I use my rig mostly for gaming, but also for Photoshop and Lightroom and while I know that the 9700K will quite easily outperform the other chips in those scenarios I wonder if it's actually worth the cost.
It is important to note, that the chips need to run in a Louqe Ghost S1 (Incredibly small case, 66mm cooler hight). So I'll most likely only be able to handle a TDP of ~90 to 100w.

Here's a list of the other hardware I'll be using:

• 2x 16GB 3000Mhz RAM
  • EVGA GTX 1080
  • 850 Evo SSDs
  • 450w PSU
  • beQuiet Shadow Rock LP + Noctua NF-A12x15

So I guess it really comes down to whether I can cool a 2700X in such a small case, and whether the 2700 is enough for my needs or not.

Upgrade to ryzen 3000 series, surely your current cpu works for a few more months? The 7nm cpus are supposed to come out in the summer, and only these would be considerable upgrade for your current setup.

i wouldn't go for a intel 9700k, as it still skylake, so not an upgrade in an architectural sense.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Upgrade to ryzen 3000 series, surely your current cpu works for a few more months? The 7nm cpus are supposed to come out in the summer, and only these would be considerable upgrade for your current setup.

i wouldn't go for a intel 9700k, as it still skylake, so not an upgrade in an architectural sense.

Well I want to get the new system running as soon as possible. I know about the new AMD CPUs and I thought I'd get one, but now that they're so far away I can't wait for them anymore.

i7-8700 makes more sense as the 2700's competitor, 2700X and 9700k gets hot.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

i7-8700 makes more sense as the 2700's competitor, 2700X and 9700k gets hot.

The 8700 costs more than the 2700X. I don't see it competing with the 2700 at all.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Well I want to get the new system running as soon as possible. I know about the new AMD CPUs and I thought I'd get one, but now that they're so far away I can't wait for them anymore.

Then i would go with the ryzen cpus, because they actually use as much power as their TDP's. 

With intel chip the TDP is only without a boost, so unless you want the 9700k running at 3.6ghz, get either a lower end intel chip, or a a ryzen chip. r5 2600 or r7 2700 should be good.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Then i would go with the ryzen cpus, because they actually use as much power as their TDP's

With all VRM phases and duty limits maxed out and with proper cooling, my 2700x draws 110A with 170watt peak output. And let me tell you, I'm not overclocking with custom multiplier but letting PBO do its things. 

console.log("way to pro");

If you would have to upgrade now I would go with the 2700 or 2700x because of similar enough IPC to the 9700 and then use the extra 100 euros to upgrade another part of your computer.

4 minutes ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Why are you upgrading anyway? The 6700k Is still crazy powerful

Need a new motherboard for the case, so I might aswell get a new CPU. I'm going from ATX to ITX.
The 6700K will go into a different build.

7 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If you would have to upgrade now I would go with the 2700 or 2700x because of similar enough IPC to the 9700 and then use the extra 100 euros to upgrade another part of your computer.

If you find the 2700 and 2700x at a small enough price gap, I would say 2700x is worth it. 

With a good motherboard and cooling; without touching anything, you will hit 4.1ghz across all cores. Well, you gotta mess with some settings in your bios to get the most out of your 2700x. 

console.log("way to pro");

16 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The 8700 costs more than the 2700X. I don't see it competing with the 2700 at all.

Sure in multi-threaded workloads. But you said you primarily game?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Sure in multi-threaded workloads. But you said you primarily game?

But is the gaming performance between those two chips drastically different? Probably not, so I might be better off saving a couple bucks on the motherboard and get the AMD chip and profit from the additional 2 cores and 4 threads, right?

31 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

But is the gaming performance between those two chips drastically different? Probably not, so I might be better off saving a couple bucks on the motherboard and get the AMD chip and profit from the additional 2 cores and 4 threads, right?

The gaming performance could be different. The 8700 will turbo higher and has a much lower TDP which would be better if cooling might be an issue. But it you sound like you've talked yourself into the 2700X. It isn't a bad CPU or anything, just that if you're primarily gaming and want a CPU to game on the 8700 is ever so slightly cheaper than the 2700X and would probably give you slightly better performance in gaming.

Also Zen 2 is supposedly launching very soon so if it turns out to be as good as people are hyping it up to be, the Zen+ CPUs might be left behind. Personally I am waiting for Zen 2 to launch and benchmarks made before I replace my Ryzen 1700X. Believe me when I say I understand the anxiousness of ditching an aging PC...but honestly I wish when I built this PC, I wish I had scoured the internet rumor-mill and tech news a lot more because it wasn't really that long after I built it that Zen+ was launched...I would have waited. But after holding onto this CPU through the time people enjoyed Zen+, I'm glad I didn't talk myself into upgrading right away to a 2700X because Zen 2 is now coming out.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

The gaming performance could be different. The 8700 will turbo higher and has a much lower TDP which would be better if cooling might be an issue. But it you sound like you've talked yourself into the 2700X. It isn't a bad CPU or anything, just that if you're primarily gaming and want a CPU to game on the 8700 is ever so slightly cheaper than the 2700X and would probably give you slightly better performance in gaming.

Also Zen 2 is supposedly launching very soon so if it turns out to be as good as people are hyping it up to be, the Zen+ CPUs might be left behind. Personally I am waiting for Zen 2 to launch and benchmarks made before I replace my Ryzen 1700X. Believe me when I say I understand the anxiousness of ditching an aging PC...but honestly I wish when I built this PC, I wish I had scoured the internet rumor-mill a lot more because it wasn't long after Zen+ was launched...I would have waited. But after holding onto this CPU through the time people enjoyed Zen+, I'm glad I didn't talk myself into upgrading right away to a 2700X because Zen 2 is now coming out.

Alright, thanks!
The cores are what pulls me towards the 2700X. It's just kinda cool I guess, if that makes sense :P

But I might ditch the idea of a 2700X anyway, because I just found a great deal on a new 9700K on eBay.
I wish I would've seen that earlier. :D 

I don't think it worth to upgrade to ryzen 7 or 9700k. Just wait for few month as ryzen 3rd gen CPU is coming soon, so they might worth upgrade