PLEASE HELP! New router is GARBAGE and I want to know how to set up my old modem (that has wireless router capabilities) instead!

Hi there!

My old ISP was Telus and my new ISP is Uniserve. With Telus, we had an all-in-one modem/router that broadcasted to all locations of the house perfectly (a T3200M). I thought I was going to have to send this device back upon switching to a different ISP. Turns out, we own it so I don't have to. I didn't know this at the time, so I went out and bought a new router (a GARBAGE DIR-867) to go along with the new modem (a TC4350, with no router capabilities) that Uniserve was sending us.

Unfortunately, this new router is garbage and I plan out returning it. It keeps dropping connections (other people have had this issue with it too). This is why I need some help with configuring the old Telus modem/router (the T3200M) to be the new router that goes along with our current modem, the TC4350.

If anyone can lend any assistance on how to do this that would be amazing! I've tried some things out but I can't seem to get it working. Other guides on the net are so obscure and can't figure it out.

Thank you so much.

12 minutes ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

Hi there!

My old ISP was Telus and my new ISP is Uniserve. With Telus, we had an all-in-one modem/router that broadcasted to all locations of the house perfectly (a T3200M). I thought I was going to have to send this device back upon switching to a different ISP. Turns out, we own it so I don't have to. I didn't know this at the time, so I went out and bought a new router (a GARBAGE DIR-867) to go along with the new modem (a TC4350, with no router capabilities) that Uniserve was sending us.

Unfortunately, this new router is garbage and I plan out returning it. It keeps dropping connections (other people have had this issue with it too). This is why I need some help with configuring the old Telus modem/router (the T3200M) to be the new router that goes along with our current modem, the TC4350.

If anyone can lend any assistance on how to do this that would be amazing! I've tried some things out but I can't seem to get it working. Other guides on the net are so obscure and can't figure it out.

Thank you so much.

Should be a simple as plugging the modem into the WAN port of the t3200m. Then setting up the WiFi etc

14 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

Should be a simple as plugging the modem into the WAN port of the t3200m. Then setting up the WiFi etc

That's what I thought! But it did not work... I could connect to it but just no internet.

Edit: I also did a factory reset on the old Telus modem/router.

Edit 2: But since the T3200M is used to being a modem too, maybe in the settings I need to change something to tell it "No, just be a router, no modem!"?

2 hours ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

That's what I thought! But it did not work... I could connect to it but just no internet.

Edit: I also did a factory reset on the old Telus modem/router.

Edit 2: But since the T3200M is used to being a modem too, maybe in the settings I need to change something to tell it "No, just be a router, no modem!"?

Strange, it's always worked that way for me, maybe there's a setting in the T3200M to use the WAN port? 

2 hours ago, r4tch3t said:

Strange, it's always worked that way for me, maybe there's a setting in the T3200M to use the WAN port? 

I tried something out of curiosity earlier and it seems to be working so far (with my old router I was complaining about being garbage). What I did is give my devices static IPs. Their connections don't seem to be getting dropped at all anymore. Hm!

6 hours ago, PopsiclesInMyCellar said:

Hi there!

Thank you so much.

The modem is garbage as well. All 32 channel downstream Docsis 3.0 modems are garbage, due to their use of the Intel Puma 6 Chipset. The issues have something to do with latency from my understanding, while some are not affected, a majority of users are. Its SO bad that Arris, who is a big manufacture of modems is getting sued over it, due to their SB6190 modem using the Puma 6 chip. Though, the router is probably not that great either, my last DLink router didnt really become good until I flashed it with DDWRT. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.