PS2 Build suggestion for LTT

First off, I'd like to start off with saying that I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this.

Second, Hi! First post for me :D

I saw the Xbox sleeper video and figured I should come and suggest a PS2 build, but with a slight twist.

PS2_TOOL.thumb.jpg.6380156185dd2493b24d1abe23ced47f.jpg

This is a PS2 TOOL. It's basically a PS2 development kit. Looks like a normal PS2, but.....

PS2_TOOL_2.jpg.bd7a0e84735bd9460bdf4f7464c9e34d.jpg

(excuse the potato quality)

There is a regular fat PS2 sitting next to a PS2 TOOL.

As you can see it's basically the size of tower. And the insides greatly resemble a tower as well, albeit with some funky motherboard form factor.

I think it would be super awesome if LMG decided to stuff a PS2 TOOL with modern hardware.

If someone does decide to do this, I think I might know a guy that has a couple dead PS2 TOOLs laying around.

That thing looks pretty cool, you could probably do it with a regular ps2 though, or a ps3 which are huge. How rare are those development kits and how does some guy end up with a bunch of dead ones?

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

7 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

That thing looks pretty cool, you could probably do it with a regular ps2 though, or a ps3 which are huge. How rare are those development kits and how does some guy end up with a bunch of dead ones?

Prolly owned a company & burned them out. Or stole from electronics recycle. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Prolly owned a company & burned them out. Or stole from electronics recycle. 

I don't know about stealing, those things are massive and weigh 40 pounds each.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

Just now, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

I don't know about stealing, those things are massive and weigh 40 pounds each.

Not actually stollen but you can go to the electronics disposal places & just get free computers. Most are old/broken. 

That or he knew a guy that ran a ps2 company & was told “want something cool?” 

13 hours ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

It's actually more common than you think. Apparently it was pretty common for them to die, even when they were still actively being used. Some people buy them in the hopes they might find an unreleased game, or an early prototype build.

And in terms of actually getting them, he bought them. Usually the sellers end up being random developers who didn't follow the instructions on disposing of them (read: destroy).

14 hours ago, emosun said:

i think a ps2 dev kit not being fucked with would be better

I agree, but if the dev kit is well and dead, might as well use the case for something.

PC in a PS3 - right then i know what I'm doing for my HTPC build

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

10 minutes ago, MasterofLightning said:

I agree, but if the dev kit is well and dead, might as well use the case for something.

no if its dead you fix it

Man this pyramid is run down.... lets pull off all the casing stones to build other buildings we wont regret that in the future....

If it's something that can reasonably be fixed like dead caps or dead drives then yeah, I'd fix it. But there are things that would be impractical to fix, like a dead north or south bridge on the very custom motherboard, or a dead chip on any of the custom PCI cards as well.

destroy a dev kit and I will rage. 

I will literally beat whoever's responsible to death with a ps vita. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

17 hours ago, MasterofLightning said:

First off, I'd like to start off with saying that I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this.

Second, Hi! First post for me :D

I saw the Xbox sleeper video and figured I should come and suggest a PS2 build, but with a slight twist.

PS2_TOOL.thumb.jpg.6380156185dd2493b24d1abe23ced47f.jpg

This is a PS2 TOOL. It's basically a PS2 development kit. Looks like a normal PS2, but.....

PS2_TOOL_2.jpg.bd7a0e84735bd9460bdf4f7464c9e34d.jpg

(excuse the potato quality)

There is a regular fat PS2 sitting next to a PS2 TOOL.

As you can see it's basically the size of tower. And the insides greatly resemble a tower as well, albeit with some funky motherboard form factor.

I think it would be super awesome if LMG decided to stuff a PS2 TOOL with modern hardware.

If someone does decide to do this, I think I might know a guy that has a couple dead PS2 TOOLs laying around.

Whoa... I love it. As long as they're dead, I'm down!

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

destroy a dev kit and I will rage. 

I will literally beat whoever's responsible to death with a ps vita. 

Or you could just drop an Xbox on them. Those things can at the very least break feet.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Or you could just drop an Xbox on them. Those things can at the very least break feet.

nah that vita. No matter how rare they become they will always be worthless. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 1/25/2019 at 5:20 PM, LinusTech said:

Whoa... I love it. As long as they're dead, I'm down!

I'll have to see if my friend still has the dead dev kits, and if he's even willing to sell one of them.