Gigabit Pfsense on these specs?

Cole lyons

Poweredge 2850 Xeon Nocona 2.8GHz 2 4GB DDR2.

Will pfsense work with gigabit on this? 

Depends on what you want your router to do.

ALso thats a very old power hungry system, get something newer, it will pay for its self in the power savings alone. and you get newer instructions like aes-ni that pfsense will require and makes some tasks much faster.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on what you want your router to do.

ALso thats a very old power hungry system, get something newer, it will pay for its self in the power savings alone. and you get newer instructions like aes-ni that pfsense will require and makes some tasks much faster.

Ok awesome thanks. 

It should work.

Though please note that it has been iterated by Netgate that PFsense 2.5+ will require the AES encryption instruction which isn't present on that CPU.

(source: https://www.netgate.com/blog/pfsense-2-5-and-aes-ni.html)

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Cole lyons said:

Poweredge 2850 Xeon Nocona 2.8GHz 2 4GB DDR2.

Will pfsense work with gigabit on this? 

It WILL work, just make sure you get a NIC that is supported by PfSense. I got screwed building my first pfsense box when I bought a card that had an unsupported chipset. 

That is also a single core processor... So it may be worthwhile to upgrade it if you want to do anything more then just routing through pfsense (LAN monitoring, adblocking through proxy, etc.) 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

2 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

It should work.

1 hour ago, Brink2Three said:

It WILL work

it will but it will consume a lot of power

my recommendation is to replace it with a newer processor or get one of these https://amzn.to/2JBuzsf

a. it's very low powered

b. the processor in this should be faster while using way less power (even though it's an atom, the architectural improvements make up for it's loss of cores, threads and cache size)

c. it's got gigabit, which is what you want

d. faster ram which will help with loading cached websites on the device

e. it's fanless so it will be quiet (not sure if this is wanted but i'll still put it here)

d. it's small, so it won't take up space for other network devices

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

2 hours ago, Brink2Three said:

It WILL work, just make sure you get a NIC that is supported by PfSense. I got screwed building my first pfsense box when I bought a card that had an unsupported chipset. 

That is also a single core processor... So it may be worthwhile to upgrade it if you want to do anything more then just routing through pfsense (LAN monitoring, adblocking through proxy, etc.) 

If the OP is using the onboard NIC I believe that server had dual Broadcom Gb NICs which shouldn't have an issue.

51 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

it will but it will consume a lot of power

my recommendation is to replace it with a newer processor or get one of these https://amzn.to/2JBuzsf

a. it's very low powered

b. the processor in this should be faster while using way less power (even though it's an atom, the architectural improvements make up for it's loss of cores, threads and cache size)

c. it's got gigabit, which is what you want

d. faster ram which will help with loading cached websites on the device

e. it's fanless so it will be quiet (not sure if this is wanted but i'll still put it here)

d. it's small, so it won't take up space for other network devices

I agree that it would consume a lot of power, however I believe the OP just wanted to know if it would work or not. If I was asked my opinion, I wouldn't bother with a micro appliance. For about 15% of the cost, you can get a surplus SFF PC or light client with a PCI slot which would be perfectly fine to run and learn PFsense.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Want to let you know, I've given up on this project and will be going with a different solution. 

I would hop on ebay and look at buying a Dell R210 II, you can find them as cheap as $150. You could kick it up a notch and use the R210 as a virtual server and virtualize your pfsense and setup another VM for backups ;-).