Do people actually care about high screen-to-body ratio phones?

YummyPotatoFace

High Screen-To-Body Ratio Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are high screen-to-body ratio phones important to you?

• Yes
    • No or it doesn't matter

Recently, manufacturers have been racing to reach a 100% screen-to-body ratio phones. We have seen phones with bezel-less designs, notches, sliding cameras, and now a hole-punch camera in efforts to increase screen space. My question is, do you really care screen space at all? For me, I think it is cool, but there are a lot of features that I would prioritize over this such as responsiveness, battery capacity, fingerprint sensor, and front-facing speakers.

Because of this huge emphasis on screen space, there has been a lack of budget phones with front-facing speakers. Have there been any phones with front-facing speakers released in the last 2 years that are sub $300? The only ones I know of are $550+ like the Pixel 2/3, Asus Rog, and Razer.

No. It's a false marketing technique to get people to "want" new phones.

I'd be perfectly happy with an iPhone 5s/5c/6 with updated hardware

I'm blind as shit so having a bigger phone with more screen is easier to scale without losing too too much

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Front facing speakers are only used while listening to music or videos without headphones, and few people actually do that, especially in public.

Front facing display is used pretty much all the time the phone is in use, and is used by 100% of people, so it makes more sense to have more usable display area and better aesthetics than marginally louder audio.

If you want loud or good audio you shouldn't be using the phone speakers anyway, even if they are front facing.

So basically you could make an identical topic asking "do people really care about front facing speakers".

And the answer to that is no.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Actually yes because it means more screen in smaller body which is nice. But I do with there was a better workaround for the notch and punchhole. In the next 2-3 years once they figure out how to put the sensors and camera under the screen we will all love full screen to body phones.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Front facing speakers are only used while listening to music or videos without headphones, and few people actually do that.

Front facing display is used pretty much all the time the phone is in use, and is used by 100% of people, so it makes more sense to have more usable display area and better aesthetics than marginally louder audio.

If you want loud or good audio you shouldn't be using the phone speakers anyway, even if they are front facing.

So basically you could make an identical topic asking "do people really care about front facing speakers".

Disagree. I personally find it hard to hold "high screen to body ratio" phones without accidentally hitting the touch screen with my fingers/thumb over the edge of the phone. I literally WANT bezels. 

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Disagree. I personally find it hard to hold "high screen to body ratio" phones without accidentally hitting the touch screen with my fingers/thumb over the edge of the phone. I literally WANT bezels. 

Maybe you just don't know how to hold a phone properly? Ever consider that? :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Personally, no, I don't. As long as it calls and texts properly.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Buy an iPhone XR

I would say my vote lies somewhere around the "I care more than I don't, but it won't make or break a phone for me" area.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Maybe you just don't know how to hold a phone properly? Ever consider that? :P

I've been holding things for a long time, pretty sure I know how to hold things. ;)

I need bezels to put on my case anyway.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I've been holding things for a long time, pretty sure I know how to hold things. ;)

Well you must be special because none of my friends or myself have any issue holding our thin bezeled phones.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I think I disagree. I'm often in a situation where I have to just sit and wait and so I often spend that time watching Youtube and even a small improvement in audio would be welcome; two front-facing speakers would certainly be better than the one, tinny, side-facing one I currently have, and would let me hear what people are saying much more clearly. (Before someone asks: no, I don't watch music-videos or listen to music on my phone. I want better clarity of speech.)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You ask a hundred different people, you're likely to get a hundred different answers on this subject.

I don't personally care about min-maxing screen/body ratio.
I do, however, care about the trend becoming phablets. I don't like the trend of larger phones that we've been seeing. There's a reason that it took me a little over six years to ditch my 4s. It was a great fit for size and portability. Fit in my pocket just fine, I didn't have issue with the "small screen", and it didn't get in my way. It Also lended itself to single handed use a lot more readily than most phones today do.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

9 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I'm blind as shit so having a bigger phone with more screen is easier to scale without losing too too much

Hmm this is an interesting point. Let's say you have phone the size of a Galaxy Note 9 (6"4). How much of a difference from going 80% to 87% screen space would actually make though? 80% is achievable without any notches, sliding or hole-punch cameras.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I think I disagree. I'm often in a situation where I have to just sit and wait and so I often spend that time watching Youtube and even a small improvement in audio would be welcome; two front-facing speakers would certainly be better than the one, tinny, side-facing one I currently have, and would let me hear what people are saying much more clearly. (Before someone asks: no, I don't watch music-videos or listen to music on my phone. I want better clarity of speech.)

Are you one of those people that listens to videos on their phone on speaker in public?

Or do you just not have a computer at home to watch content on?

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Are you one of those people that listens to videos on their phone on speaker in public?

If there are no other people around who could be disturbed by it, or if I'm e.g. sitting in my car, waiting.

Or do you just not have a computer at home to watch content on?

What a stupid hyperbole.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

If there are no other people around who could be disturbed by it, or if I'm e.g. sitting in my car, waiting.

What a stupid hyperbole.

Well, I don't understand why you would be sitting in your car waiting for something unless you're in a drive though, but whatevs.

Spoiler

screen-to-body ratio is a number that can be easily manipulate to show the phone has minimum waste area.

it shouldnt matter much if the look isnt too bad...(unlike great chin on old iphone for many years...) and keep a standard aspect ratio  thoughout the market.

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well, I don't understand why you would be sitting in your car waiting for something unless you're in a drive though, but whatevs.

In college, one of my semesters had a three hour break between classes. I opted not to leave campus (to get lunch or something) as parking was a nightmare, and heading home would mean that I had about 10 minutes at home before I had to start the trip back.

Some of those days, I hung out in my car as my group of friends were either in class for most of my break, or weren't on campus at the time. If I didn't have homework, i'd squish my phone between the headrest and the top of the front passenger seat seat and throw on some YouTube or Prime Video.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

1 minute ago, Semper said:

In college, I had a three hour break between classes. I opted not to leave campus (to get lunch or something) as parking was a nightmare, and heading home would mean that I had about 10 minutes at home before I had to start the trip back.

Some of those days, I hung out in my car as my group of friends were either in class for most of my break, or weren't on campus at the time. If I didn't have homework, i'd squish my phone between the headrest and the top of the front passenger seat seat and throw on some YouTube or Prime Video.

Well I just use earphones when I'm on a break and want to listen to something.

Easy.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Well I just use earphones when I'm on a break and want to listen to something.

Easy.

I was addressing why one might be in their car waiting and not be in a drive through. This semester happened to be a winter semester, so rather than sit out in the cold, i'd throw on the heater for a bit, get the car warm, and watch something.

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Front facing speakers are only used while listening to music or videos without headphones, and few people actually do that, especially in public.

I actually do use my speakers a lot which is annoying as I need to cup my hands to hear clearly enough. When I am in public, I am actually not comfortable wearing headphones as I like to hear things around me and stuff gets stolen a lot on the trains and buses I take. My left and right ears are shaped very differently so it is very hard to find any earphones that won't cause pain in my right ear lol.

17 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Actually yes because it means more screen in smaller body which is nice. But I do with there was a better workaround for the notch and punchhole. In the next 2-3 years once they figure out how to put the sensors and camera under the screen we will all love full screen to body phones.

This will probably happen. Maybe they'll figure out under the screen front-facing speakers ?