wifi adapter getting awful results

ActuallyGoose

So, I just recently bought a tp-link wireless adapter the box says 150Mbps, the wifi speed on the computer says 72.2Mbps (which is pretty weird considering the computer is in arm's length of the router, and i would think the speed would be pretty damn close to 150)
But then a quick speed test says:

Ping: 11
Download speed: 1.09 Mbps  (And on rare occasions 10-15Mbps) 
Upload speed 10-ish Mbps

So is this just a common thing with wireless adapters, or have I just bought a pretty terrible adapter, and should go buy a better one (Also, the router only has two ethernet ports, but those are taken and i'm unable to find a way around that)
(Unless anyone knows how to set up a router with Australian NBN internet)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz | GPU:  MSI GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Case: NZXT H700i | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Storage:  2TB Samsung SSD + 6TB WD HDD | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB | Mouse: Logitech G604

faster upload than download? wtf? what speeds are you paying for?

also, when you said the computer shows 72mbps, do you mean link speeds?

16 minutes ago, Mufastang said:

So, I just recently bought a tp-link wireless adapter the box says 150Mbps, the wifi speed on the computer says 72.2Mbps (which is pretty weird considering the computer is in arm's length of the router, and i would think the speed would be pretty damn close to 150)

its tplink after all... return it if you can.

its famous in unstable

I'm assuming these are your internet speeds, not your local network speeds, correct?
If so, what is your plan rated for? Just because a device is capable of X, does not mean it will attain X. If your internet package is only rated for 10d 10u, the card will be capped out at that (though, with this statement, I may be stating the obvious, I don't know the extent of your knowledge on the subject)

As for additional ethernet ports, would a switch not serve your needs?

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Also I'd recommend to check your speed via cable first if this is possible. 

23 hours ago, Mufastang said:

So, I just recently bought a tp-link wireless adapter the box says 150Mbps

That's what it's rated up to.  If you pay for 75mbps down and ??Mbps up then 72 is pretty good. 

23 hours ago, Mufastang said:

the wifi speed on the computer says 72.2Mbps

As for that, not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean you have integrated wifi and that's the speed you get using that?  Then the adapter gave you worse?

@Semper A switch would fix everything, But I have never used switches, and wouldn't know the first thing about getting one.

Also, yes, they are the internet speeds, the computer with ethernet gets a solid 40 down and 15 up, (Which is only cut off there because Australian NBN is a joke), But the wireless adapter makes it anywhere from 1-10 down and usually around 10 up. Which is incredibly unstable at most of the times 

Would you be able to direct me to somewhere that can tell me more about what switches I would need, and what to look for? I just generally don't know what I'm looking for with that stuff, and as I only need the one additional ethernet port, assumed buying a whole extra switch or router would be overkill... 

Although with that said, thank you for helping me. Hopefully, this doesn't seem as confusing as I think I've made it

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz | GPU:  MSI GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Case: NZXT H700i | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Storage:  2TB Samsung SSD + 6TB WD HDD | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB | Mouse: Logitech G604

On 1/23/2019 at 6:43 PM, Mufastang said:

@Semper A switch would fix everything, But I have never used switches, and wouldn't know the first thing about getting one.

Also, yes, they are the internet speeds, the computer with ethernet gets a solid 40 down and 15 up, (Which is only cut off there because Australian NBN is a joke), But the wireless adapter makes it anywhere from 1-10 down and usually around 10 up. Which is incredibly unstable at most of the times 

Would you be able to direct me to somewhere that can tell me more about what switches I would need, and what to look for? I just generally don't know what I'm looking for with that stuff, and as I only need the one additional ethernet port, assumed buying a whole extra switch or router would be overkill... 

Although with that said, thank you for helping me. Hopefully, this doesn't seem as confusing as I think I've made it

Cisco has some solid documentation on the matter, though you may want to look up information for a specific switch, if you pick one up.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/small-business/resource-center/networking/network-switch-how.html

Another option would be a router that has a larger switch in it, more ports at the rear.

Unfortuantely, I don't know all too much about wireless networking, I really do my best to avoid it. I'd much rather use something like a powerline adapter before having to resort to wireless. I won't be much help there, though my first thought is that there's got to be some interference somewhere if it's so unstable and skittish.

I do apologize that it took me some time to get back to you, life is a bit (more than usual) crazy at the moment, cranked it up to 10, overshot, and landed on 12 :P

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

What model is the router and WiFi adapter?

How populated is the WiFi channel? Install Ubiquiti WiFiman on your phone and open the channels tab. If there are other wireless networks sharing the same channel, that can cause interference and problems. You can try changing the channel manually in the router settings.

Also test the local network performance of the WiFi adapter by running iperf in server mode on a wired computer and in client mode on the wirelessly connected computer. Commands to use:

Server: iperf3 -s

Client: iperf3 -c 192.168.xx.xx -t 60 -i 1

Replace the 192.168.xx.xx with the IP address of the computer acting as a server.

If you simply want more ethernet ports, you can just get pretty much any unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch. They're usually ~30€. Some models of unmanaged switches for example: TP-Link TL-SG105, ZyXEL GS-105Bv3, D-Link DGS-108

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

Thanks to everyone that helped me, I just ended up heading to the computer store, and buying a 5 port switch that the guy recommended, seems to have worked great as speed tests show a solid 40/15 speed on both PC's

Might continue staying away from wireless for the time being

For future reference, WiFi adapters advertised at 150Mbit usually only are able to do that at 40Mhz channel width due to not being capable of MIMO.  At normal 20Mhz channel width, that means 72.2Mbit is about right.

Additionally, sometimes the default drivers only pick up 2.4Ghz so if your router is 5Ghz its best to configure it to broadcast as a different SSID (name) so you can tell if the adapter is even seeing it, and choose it over the default selection which often chooses 2.4Ghz simply because its a stronger (but much slower) signal.

If it then isn't seeing 5Ghz, look for updated drivers online rather than using Windows default.

Wired is ALWAYS the best option though, so its fortunate you were able to choose that.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7