Menthelated spirits seeped into my laptop's display

There are weird patches on the display.

If I wait for it to evaporate will it disapeer?

Thanks in advance.

Any images or videos for us to look at?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Will it disapear when it eventually evaporates? I heard that someone fixed it by heating up their laptop to 70c but in that case it was alcohol not menthelated spirits.

My personal experience says no. I assume your talking about denatured alcohol? It always leaves a residue with a pattern, this goes for most solvents.

Edit I should specify denatured alcohol doesnt leave a residue, but rather dissolve adhesive and oils it comes into contact with.

5 hours ago, markr54632 said:

My personal experience says no. I assume your talking about denatured alcohol? It always leaves a residue with a pattern, this goes for most solvents.

Edit I should specify denatured alcohol doesnt leave a residue, but rather dissolve adhesive and oils it comes into contact with.

So what do I do then? If I take apart the display can I fix it myself.

8 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Usually replace the display and hope it didnt kill anything else.

It didn't, it was menthelated spirits not water.

14 minutes ago, BlazedHardware said:

Understood, but it is a strong solvent and will drag every contaminant in its path along with it (adhesive, skin oil, dust, dirt, etc). Although that being said if you are going to spill something denatured alcohol is pretty electronics friendly.

This is why I clean screens with just a damp microfiber cloth and electronics with nothing >90% isopropyl alcohol (currently 99% actually), such that it evaporates quickly and leaves little water.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, BlazedHardware said:

Will it disapear when it eventually evaporates?

It won't evaporate well, because it's a confined space and has nowhere to evaporate to. Warming it up may help, but it will still take long. Plus, since you have used methylated spirits instead of a pure alcohol, you will be left with a residue of whatever else was in there besides alcohol, which can be anything and is probably what's damaged the screen. It looks like the layers of the screen may have started separating, so I'd say it's damaged beyond repair at this point; at least beyond the point where you yourself can fix it.

3 hours ago, BlazedHardware said:

Unless you have a pure solution, there is water in there. For example in 70% pure isopropyl alcohol, the other 30% is still water.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 1/20/2019 at 10:13 PM, tikker said:

This is why I clean screens with just a damp microfiber cloth and electronics with nothing >90% isopropyl alcohol (currently 99% actually), such that it evaporates quickly and leaves little water.

It won't evaporate well, because it's a confined space and has nowhere to evaporate to. Warming it up may help, but it will still take long. Plus, since you have used methylated spirits instead of a pure alcohol, you will be left with a residue of whatever else was in there besides alcohol, which can be anything and is probably what's damaged the screen. It looks like the layers of the screen may have started separating, so I'd say it's damaged beyond repair at this point; at least beyond the point where you yourself can fix it.

Unless you have a pure solution, there is water in there. For example in 70% pure isopropyl alcohol, the other 30% is still water.

It was 95%, if I opened up my laptop and let it evaporates maybe it will mostly disapeer?

3 hours ago, BlazedHardware said:

It was 95%, if I opened up my laptop and let it evaporates maybe it will mostly disapeer?

It may be 95%, but still methylated spirit and not isopropyl alcohol. Which means the other 5% is not (necessarily) just water. I'm not sure if you'll be able to separate the glass from the screen, so if it's really in between that, opening it up probably won't help much.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB