cpu upgrade yes or no if so to what?

my 6700k would destroy that ryzen in any game,workloads maybe not but it wouldnt be that huge a difference unless your coding or video editing or something intense like that,i can stream my game,have forums open and discord or team speak all open while playing shadow of the tomb raider,i never have any issues,but i degress it comes down to personal choice really,i had bad times with all my amd choices,from fx to ryzen ill stick with intel for now.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:29 PM, hollyh88 said:

i have a pretty dumb looking case. heck i cant even see my pc. it is in its own packet on the bottom right of the desk. 

however.. i do want to maybe empty my desk cut some of the wooden boards off and make it so that it can stand on there ;) but i still have the subwoofer of my katana x sound bar on it as well.. gotta find some space for that too ;) 

but anyhow.. yes you are far better of getting a 2600x or a 2700x and selling that i5 6600k because yes. you see... us gamers have allot of stuff open. youtube benchmarks are never that realistic. they always say intel is the best for gamers.. but is it? a 4 core 4 thread cpu just isnt gonna cut it you know. nor is a 6 core 6 thread like the i5 9600k. sure it can achieve higher single core performance.. but for a gamer? with lots of stuff open in the back ground? i dont think so. its going to have serious 1% lows. 

and yea i had a evga gtx 1070 sc. tried it out today with the 2600x and damm even then it could perform soo good. even non overclocked. 

if i were you.. just get the msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac and a 2600x with a water or air cooler. and you will be good to go. as soon as the 3000 series comes out you can upgrade or not. :)i have found that it does run a bit more hot the ryzen but i have an air cooled so thats to be expected. :) nothing too crazy tho 60-70 degrees while at 4 or 4.1 on all cores is decent for an air cooler :)

Im feelin ya, until you end up with the optimal setup it takes quite a while, doesnt it?

maybe youll share like a build progress in the forum later on?

just today Ive had a major lag while playing league, trying to alt tab. its getting annoying.

Im just still not sure about ryzen

- single core performance (even 3000 series might not do as well as an 8700k at 5Ghz)

- weird issues with ryzen, due to being "new(er)" like bugs and crashes, I just usually wanna avoid that

- which board generation, since PCIe 4 etc.

its just that, my main activity on this PC is gaming. i think a 8700k will just be a beast in SC. And thats just plain and simple better for high refresh rate LoL, WoW, Diablo, Anno. Which are the games I usually play(ed). Right now its mostly League though. I think an 8700k will do streaming and music production perfectly as well. Even if a little worse than Ryzen (depending on the program) I guess my main profit will be gaming.

The point where Im totally against Intel though is value (price), especially when taking cooling to OC into consideration. And NO upgrade path whatsoever -.- So that leaves me with:

- get what I want for (esp right now) terrible value: which would be an 8700k + adequate cooling

- get Ryzen with all its benefits, but possibly having more weird issues while setting up the PC + relying on pure speculation concerning 3000 series higher SC clock speeds. 

Now, that only applies to me. If it was like Tomb Raider at 60Hz I wouldnt care at all, since the 1070 would be the bottleneck at 1440p. The question is: what if i get a mid range GPU in 3 years that could use that more "gaming suited" cpu. Well I guess I will be able to pop in a 2020 ryzen cpu. Or just turn that build into a secondary PC using a 3400G or sth. The thing is AMD leaves me with a good amount of options and its actually the company Id wanna support right now. 

Your temperatures sound good, its not something Im really worried about.

What do you think of Ryzen for my use case`? I mean 8 cores, 16T and 4.8 ghz boost on a 200 bucks ryzen chip just sounds too good for me to believe. I feel like ill end up with an upgrade path but being disappointed in what ill be able to upgrade to. On the other hand I dont wanna support Intel right now and I dont wanna get ripped off. haha

what a 1st world dilemma xD

e.g. take a look at this: 

Edited by Chris V

On 1/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, xreaperx22 said:

my 6700k would destroy that ryzen in any game,workloads maybe not but it wouldnt be that huge a difference unless your coding or video editing or something intense like that,i can stream my game,have forums open and discord or team speak all open while playing shadow of the tomb raider,i never have any issues,but i degress it comes down to personal choice really,i had bad times with all my amd choices,from fx to ryzen ill stick with intel for now.

1 minute ago, Chris V said:

Im feelin ya, until you end up with the optimal setup it takes quite a while, doesnt it?

just today Ive had a major lag while playing league, trying to alt tab. its getting annoying.

- single core performance (even 3000 series might not do as well as an 8700k at 5Ghz)

- weird issues with ryzen, due to being "new(er)" like bugs and crashes, I just usually wanna avoid that

its just that, my main activity on this PC is gaming. i think a 8700k will just be a beast in SC. And thats just plain and simple better for high refresh rate LoL, WoW, Diablo, Anno. Which are the games I usually play(ed). Right now its mostly League though. I think an 8700k will do streaming and music production perfectly as well. Even if a little worse than Ryzen (depending on the program) I guess my main profit will be gaming.

The point where Im totally against Intel though is value (price), especially when taking cooling to OC into consideration. And NO upgrade path whatsoever -.- So that leaves me with:

- get what I want for (esp right now) terrible value: which would be an 8700k + adequate cooling

- get Ryzen with all its benefits, but possibly having more weird issues while setting up the PC + relying on pure speculation concerning 3000 series higher SC clock speeds. 

Now, that only applies to me. If it was like Tomb Raider at 60Hz I wouldnt care at all, since the 1070 would be the bottleneck at 1440p. The question is: what if i get a mid range GPU in 3 years that could use that more "gaming suited" cpu. Well I guess I will be able to pop in a 2020 ryzen cpu. Or just turn that build into a secondary PC using a 3400G or sth. The thing is AMD leaves me with a good amount of options and its actually the company Id wanna support right now. 

What do you think of Ryzen for my use case`? I mean 8 cores, 16T and 4.8 ghz boost on a 200 bucks ryzen chip just sounds too good for me to believe. I feel like ill end up with an upgrade path but being disappointed in what ill be able to upgrade to. On the other hand I dont wanna support Intel right now and I dont wanna get ripped off. haha

thanks for your input.

what do you think of my case?

what were your issues with Ryzen platform?

greetings.. chris

4 hours ago, Chris V said:

e.g. take a look at this: 

well i quiet literally turned my pc off... placed it somewhere else and grabbed a saw and just went and sawed some parts of my desk xD it can now stand on the desk and it looks better. i also grabbed the fan that i had left of the other hyper 212 and stuck it on the black edition in the pc, and it reduced cpu temps by 10 degrees :). its now around 60 degrees while gaming and at 4.1ghz at all cores! 

i understand your problem when it comes to games like lol and so on. i have played them too. but that was back on my i5 6500 which only did turbo to 3.6 on 1 core i believe xD so pretty bad. the i5 7600 i had after that could only really do 3.9 on 1 core max. and now i do 4.1 (havent even tried 4.2) on 6 cores! that is so much better already. im so happy with it. 

but yes you can get a very expansive cpu a expansive cooler and put it at 4.8 but i dont think that it would help that much for all the money that you would want to spend on it. and since you have a 1070 and would need to upgrade that too well yeah there is that xD more cash.. 

as for only gaming.. well i mostly game watch movies etc. and thus far its doing amazingly well. but sadly i dont have 3200 memory speed i have 2133 at 2400 so i have quiet some fps increase in that department. 

and as for bugs and so on... i have had nothing. no issues no bad cpu things nothing. i only have had positive things thus far :) 
And if those leaks really were true i mean ryzen 3600x at 4.8 on all cores? at only 220? count me in lol. thats why i got this am4 socket mobo. but in my opinion more cores more threads and at a lower price? and with upgrade paths? you are far better of in amd's ship than intels ship :D 

but for now the 2600x cant do 4.8ghz  i believe the max was 4.3/4.4 if you are lucky im only however going to attempt 4.2 some time maybe 4.1 stable is good enough for me :)

oh ps.. with lol and so on i believe a ryzen 2600x together with a gtx 1070 will sit around 200+ fps at 1080p so i think you are fine there with hardly any stutters ofc since ryzen does perform better in that occasion than intel. 

also i believe the newest ryzen will support pcie 4.0 and so far has been known to be the only cpu that will do that, for what i can remember.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

as for that thread.. that was back in march and about the 1600 the 2600x has far better thread support for what i can see. it utilizes and uses it pretty swell :) If you want however.. i could install lol again and see how it runs on the 5 2600x with the 1070 sc that i still have. (havent sold it yet) 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Holy Sh*&t some good news just was uploaded on youtube ?

start to watch from 2:30 

PC: 

ryzen is growing on me,im starting a new build myself soon and idk i may switch to ryzen also lol just cant beat the price really

11 hours ago, xreaperx22 said:

ryzen is growing on me,im starting a new build myself soon and idk i may switch to ryzen also lol just cant beat the price really

im happy i made the switch :) it was a tough one though. I would have other wise gone for an i5 9600k but the ryzen 2600x is amazing as well. it may not go to 5 oc but 4.1 on 6 cores is good enough for now :) 

PC: 

18 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

Holy Sh*&t some good news just was uploaded on youtube ?

start to watch from 2:30 

4 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

im happy i made the switch :) it was a tough one though. I would have other wise gone for an i5 9600k but the ryzen 2600x is amazing as well. it may not go to 5 oc but 4.1 on 6 cores is good enough for now :) 

sounds amazing O.o

for now I have overclocked my 6600k to 4.5. its passing stress tests, Ill see if I can go any further. haha

however, I have now decided Im going to go for a Mini ITX Ryzen build - latest - by the end of 2019. This way, my PC will remain on my table, but it wont take up as much space, which is whats really annoying me right now. Just not sure yet, whether or not to go for the build now - step by step. Then swap CPU when 3000 series is out. Or just wait until then and go all out at once haha.

I came to this conclusion because the truth is, 144Hz will be possible with a 2600x for the games I play. If not - then its a matter of the program, not the chip and I wont pay double the price just to compensate for poorly optimized programs or old games. Period.

Other games: GPU is my limit. Productivity and general usage as well as my bank account will profit alot. Getting a roughly similar thing from Intel will cost me about 200% of the amd variant. a 2600x is 200 bucks, 8700k STILL an insane 440€!!! even if board, cooling and ram were exactly the same: thats still 220 bucks for maybe 5-13% single core advantage that I could utilize only if I had a 1080 ti or better.

Moreover it leaves me with no upgrade path, feeling like a dumb*** haha. All signs so far seem to indicate that 3000 series will probably give us at least 10% ipc improvement. Now - am I really qualified to correctly judge the latter value - probably not. But what it means to me is that 2000 series is more than sufficient at great value, and 3000 series will be even better - period. If all should fail - I can still just get a 2400g or 3400g and enjoy a secondary league of legends 1080p PC with some of my older pc parts at home or for like a lan party or whatever.

youve helped me alot with my decision. thank you for your help :)

38 minutes ago, Chris V said:

sounds amazing O.o

for now I have overclocked my 6600k to 4.5. its passing stress tests, Ill see if I can go any further. haha

however, I have now decided Im going to go for a Mini ITX Ryzen build - latest - by the end of 2019. This way, my PC will remain on my table, but it wont take up as much space, which is whats really annoying me right now. Just not sure yet, whether or not to go for the build now - step by step. Then swap CPU when 3000 series is out. Or just wait until then and go all out at once haha.

I came to this conclusion because the truth is, 144Hz will be possible with a 2600x for the games I play. If not - then its a matter of the program, not the chip and I wont pay double the price just to compensate for poorly optimized programs or old games. Period.

Other games: GPU is my limit. Productivity and general usage as well as my bank account will profit alot. Getting a roughly similar thing from Intel will cost me about 200% of the amd variant. a 2600x is 200 bucks, 8700k STILL an insane 440€!!! even if board, cooling and ram were exactly the same: thats still 220 bucks for maybe 5-13% single core advantage that I could utilize only if I had a 1080 ti or better.

Moreover it leaves me with no upgrade path, feeling like a dumb*** haha. All signs so far seem to indicate that 3000 series will probably give us at least 10% ipc improvement. Now - am I really qualified to correctly judge the latter value - probably not. But what it means to me is that 2000 series is more than sufficient at great value, and 3000 series will be even better - period. If all should fail - I can still just get a 2400g or 3400g and enjoy a secondary league of legends 1080p PC with some of my older pc parts at home or for like a lan party or whatever.

youve helped me alot with my decision. thank you for your help :)

no problem mate :) however do keep in mind to get a good mobo that can support ocing well on a ryzen 2600x. mine is atx and it fitted pretty well in my pc which isnt massive size but not small either. however it makes sure that the 2600x has power oc power :) so do look at how much voltages the mobos can support. 

and yeah the ipc improvement 100% comes from 7 process instead of 10, 12 or 14. however just looking at that video i mean it 100% beat my oc ryzen 2600x at 4.1ghz while that one didnt even run further than 3.6ghz thats insane. ? i cant wait to see how far they will push it. like i said i wouldnt even be surprised if these new ones can be easily oced to 5 ghz. and i mean at a 220 euro price? lol intel will bite the dust if they dont come up with a sollution. 

PC: 

49 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

no problem mate :) however do keep in mind to get a good mobo that can support ocing well on a ryzen 2600x. mine is atx and it fitted pretty well in my pc which isnt massive size but not small either. however it makes sure that the 2600x has power oc power :) so do look at how much voltages the mobos can support. 

and yeah the ipc improvement 100% comes from 7 process instead of 10, 12 or 14. however just looking at that video i mean it 100% beat my oc ryzen 2600x at 4.1ghz while that one didnt even run further than 3.6ghz thats insane. ? i cant wait to see how far they will push it. like i said i wouldnt even be surprised if these new ones can be easily oced to 5 ghz. and i mean at a 220 euro price? lol intel will bite the dust if they dont come up with a sollution. 

true that, yeah ill make sure to buy a quality board when going for the switch. just a question of personal opinion: what do you think about mini itx?

yeah intel better up their game by alot and even if they accomplish that, theyll still have to cut income by reducing prices significantly or people will simply not buy their overpriced chips anymore.

also, I thought of going for 2600 non x, as its just 150€. the 1600x is just 140€

the 1700 is right inbetween the 2600x and the 2600 (about 170-180€), the 1700x is just as much as the 2600x.

so basically 5 option in the 140-205€ euro range. I will do closer research, but if youd have a quick info for me thatd be highly appreciated input. Consider that I will 100% go for 3000 series. So if I were to go Ryzen now, itd just be for like 8 months or however long AMD needs to put out their top notch 3000 series.

edit: 4.6ghz and prime95 dont seem to like each other haha. 4.5 is stable only at 1.33 volt. however 4.4 is happy with only 1.26V sitting in the low 60s air cooled. however, honestly: thats just 300 Mhz more, than your 4.1ghz all core with 12 threads. Im really feenin for the upgrade now haha

Edited by Chris V

6 hours ago, Chris V said:

true that, yeah ill make sure to buy a quality board when going for the switch. just a question of personal opinion: what do you think about mini itx?

yeah intel better up their game by alot and even if they accomplish that, theyll still have to cut income by reducing prices significantly or people will simply not buy their overpriced chips anymore.

also, I thought of going for 2600 non x, as its just 150€. the 1600x is just 140€

the 1700 is right inbetween the 2600x and the 2600 (about 170-180€), the 1700x is just as much as the 2600x.

so basically 5 option in the 140-205€ euro range. I will do closer research, but if youd have a quick info for me thatd be highly appreciated input. Consider that I will 100% go for 3000 series. So if I were to go Ryzen now, itd just be for like 8 months or however long AMD needs to put out their top notch 3000 series.

edit: 4.6ghz and prime95 dont seem to like each other haha. 4.5 is stable only at 1.33 volt. however 4.4 is happy with only 1.26V sitting in the low 60s air cooled. however, honestly: thats just 300 Mhz more, than your 4.1ghz all core with 12 threads. Im really feenin for the upgrade now haha

you have to look at tdp. for their overclock value and capabilities. the 1700x and 2600x both have 95 the others have 65 so lower power consumption but lower available overclock headroom. 

the 1700x has 8 (16 threads)cores the 2600x has 6 (12 threads) cores. so you would have more cores with the 1700x however a lower multiplier and an older stepping. however the cache is more :) 

the 1700x is thus better at productivity due to more cores and threads. however a 2600x has better clock speeds and boost clock speeds. 

in my opinion i would go for the 2600x still. i mean if you could get the 2700x for that same price that would then be an obvious choice but sadly no. 
so go for the 2600x. 

and i actually had a mini itx for my i5 6500 and 7600 but it was small barely had any good features and was only kinda okey for the cpu. its small and easy to mount in the pc however it can become more of a mess with wires. especially in mini itx cases. just in my opinion get a bigger case it will have more workspace :) and it would be future proof if you ever want to add more fans and so on. it will also be allot better for changing things like ram sticks. that was a hell with my old mobo. i had to remove the fan and cables and it was not fun.. 

here i can simply put my pc off and get them out without having to mess with anything. :) i dont have the prettiest looking case though, this is only really my first pc that i upgraded if i save more money ill just make another pc for example but thats for a later date :) 

PC: