Shadowplay will not record at 4K

I'm looking at recording some gameplay for an upcoming project and I run the game at 4K. When I try recording with Shadowplay, the recording icon pops up for a split second, then is replaced with a note saying recording finished, or something like that. 

I've tried recording other games at 4K with the same problem, but recording at 1080p works without issue. I've tried increasing the video bitrate, manually setting the resolution to 4K instead of letting it use the in-game resolution setting but to no avail. 

Has anyone seen this issue before or seen anything from Nvidia regarding it? I can't find anything. 

Thanks

Not having this issue in any meaningful way... Try to reinstall GFE.

Have reinstalled both the current driver and tried an older driver. Again no change. I think I'm going to raise a ticket with Nvidia support and see if I can get anywhere with them.

Reinstall driver doesn't overwrite GeForce Experience. And the only issue that causing record problem is GeForce Experience (Shadow play is a function under GFE). :)

Ok, found the issue. Turns out GFE refuses to record at a higher resolution than your primary display. My primary was set as my high refresh 1080p display which meant GFE didn't record above 1080p. Switched my main display to my 4K one and it worked first time.

Thanks for all the input @altairfoo

On 1/10/2019 at 9:09 PM, Joshi_bo said:

Ok, found the issue. Turns out GFE refuses to record at a higher resolution than your primary display. My primary was set as my high refresh 1080p display which meant GFE didn't record above 1080p. Switched my main display to my 4K one and it worked first time.

Thanks for all the input @altairfoo

Haha, that makes sense. Even though I have no clue why you will use a 1080p screen as output but record 4K video with it since screen recording tech. copy frames to NVENC or CPU(on other software using x264) then export to MP4, it's not going to handle resolution that is higher than the frame itself, and perform a real-time upscaling(which have no visual improvement and wasting bitrate). 

Anyway, happy to see your problem is solved (by yourself). (~ ̄▽ ̄)~